Thread: How about system that gives a heads up for important aircraft arrivals or departures?

How about system that gives a heads up for important aircraft arrivals or departures?

I would like to float the idea of having a system of announcing the ETA or Departure time of the high profile aircraft at the Airventure week. If there was a Facebook page or Twitter or EAA app or message board forum where someone in base ops or the warbirds area would know when a pilot was checking in could post a quick message that ME-109 N2*** Arriving 18:30 or Mosquito N***** preparing for launch at 12:30 I am a Photographer. I go to Oshkosh to see and photograph beautiful and rare aircraft. Last year I was there for the entire week. I had a scanner and my Flight Radar App and I still missed the Mosquito and both ME-109's landing or taking off. I was really looking forward to getting some good shots of them but missed out. I realize you can't do it for every T-6 or Navion but the major highlights like Constellation or Super Guppy or Mig 29 or Mig 23. The Announcers often don't mention very important planes coming in until they are right overhead. The schedules that get printed up and put somewhere are vague and almost worthless. Sometimes you see someone take a picture of a schedule on their cell phone and post it on FB but they just say 14:00-16:00 Warbirds. So who do I ask or get a hold of to have EAA consider doing something like that?
    Last edited by Grunt087; 06-19-2023 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Arrivals are difficult to predict but, whilst walking through warbirds, I have regularly asked participants about their proposed departure/display day/time. Often, an email to the organisation who's sending the aircraft to Osh may get you an arrival day. Last year, I stumbled across the Mossie and happened to be at a location from which I could photograph it as it departed on 27. As for the two -109s, who knows...
    Good luck; I feel yer pain.

I volunteer in the warbirds area. Things change all the time. The flightline is told an aircraft is expected the next day, and nothing shows. If weather is showing it's ugly face, things move very fast.

I would also love to see this for the more important stuff like the large aircraft, warbirds and military. Trouble is apart from IFR movements nothing has a slot. Something may have an ETA/ETD but the chaos of the arrivals may mean holds and the like. Then of course you have no idea what runway it will use!
    Rob

Sometimes they'll do a text notification. I recall a couple of "Look to the sky at time/place for xxxx" over the last couple of years to call out important arrivals/flyovers.

AirVenture Changes for Text Message Alerts
    Brock
    C172H | Central IL
    EAA #1001980