Thread: PRE NOTAM arrival procedures

PRE NOTAM arrival procedures

For years I have arrived early (pre-show), but always within the NOTAM "window". What happens if someone were to arrive,say, Thursday morning at 7am on July 20th? Is KOSH an uncontrolled field at that time? Is the tower operating "pre-NOTAM"? Not finding this in the NOTAM. AS for parking, I assume that there might be Vintage parking volunteers there, even a day or two before the NOTAM kicks in. (But we all know what ASSUME means). If they are not there, I will taxi to the Magoo taxiway and find my old spot Thanks in advance.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

KOSH is a normal towered field (0600-2200) the other 51 weeks of the year. Outside of the NOTAM period I believe you just need to tell Ground what you want to do, but in terms beyond "I want to taxi to Vintage parking" as they might not have a clue where that is on the field. I think your assumption is correct in there will probably be Vintage guys around but I wouldn't count on it and think you need to be prepared to figure it out taxi/parking procedures on the fly (no pun intended).
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 06-16-2023 at 08:36 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Todd, thank you. For some reason I thought the tower was INOP for the other 51 weeks.......can't tell you how I got that understanding. Good to hear.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Please consider monitoring tower frequency as soon as possible to get a feel for how many other pilots have the same idea. Your first position report 15 to 20 miles out, including a very brief indication that you intend to park somewhere other than Basler. As Todd said, it may be best to use an airport intersection designation, rather than vintage parking. Note that is highly unlikely that if you are on VFR flight following that any message you give to Center of your intent at Oshkosh will be relayed to the tower.

We arrived on a Thursday before the NOTAM went active a few years back. We were coming up from Milwaukee, had flight following and they gave us what ended up being a 50 mile base leg. Turned us over to the tower and they cleared us to 27. They were the regular controllers before the superstars showed up.

Yes, there are volunteer ground crews in Vintage and elsewhere. We're not allowed on the taxiways before Friday I think. You tell tower/ground where you want to go and once you get close you'll probably see people in orange vests waiting to direct you once you turn off the movement area.