Thread: WingX

WingX

Anybody had experience with WingX for Blackberry?….seems like the product is good and great to have as a backup when stopping at some remote locations. However their customer service and billing departments are seriously lacking. Double-billed back in 2010 and despite numerous phone calls and emails still no luck with getting this reversed. Am I the only one or are others out there experiencing problems? Would like to continue using this software but with all the issues I am seriously thinking of canceling my subscription. Are there alternatives if I should decide to go ahead and cancel?

I don't know what to say about your double billing issue. I have not experienced any problems with that. I have WingX on my iPad and my Droid phone. They allow you to use WingX on your phone if you purchase the subscription for your iPad. It took two e-mails before they activated the software on my phone. On the first e-mail I did not send them a copy of my purchase receipt from the iPad installation so it was probably my fault for not supplying them enough information to verify my purchase. I'm sure they are a small operation which might account for their limited customer service. I will say that I have sent them e-mails with suggestions for additional features and improvements to the program and I received a reply e-mail back. It was not a cookie cutter generic e-mail either. Plus I have seen some of the suggestions incorporated in the program. I'm sure they received multiple suggestions for the issues I raised, not just mine. It does show me they are working to keep improving the program. I have been very pleased with WingX and I think it is a great value for $99 a year. I haven't pulled the trigger for the synthetic vision yet, but I'm considering it. Ultimately you will have to make the decision whether to cancel or not. So far for me, I have no serious complaints.

Can you comment on sunlight readability on the Ipad in flight? I am interested but am hesitant because of negative comments on how much good the Ipad is in fiull light. I have an RV so it has a LOT of light and wonder if I should wait for the Ipad 3 to see if it is better in full lighted conditions. Also I would mate the WingX and Ipad with a SkyRadar ADS B receiver to get weather without depending on XM.

Wilfred, I have a friend at work that flys an RV and uses an iPad. He told me he did something to shade his cockpit. I have not seen it so I don't know if he has some type of visor or tinting. He said it helps but depending on the angle of the sun can still have glare on the screen. If you have a friend that has an iPad, sit in your airplane with it and see what it looks like to you. Be sure to hold it at the angle you would have it mounted. My airplane has a ceiling so mine is shaded pretty well. Here is a picture of what I see.
    Name:  iPadFront.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  81.0 KB