Thread: Vintage wing markings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm making paint masks with my vinyl cutter. What is the font typically used for vintage N-numbers. Back in the day they all seemed to use the same simple style. Should be easy but I'm lost in the morass of specialty fonts. This is what I'm looking for.
    Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  15.6 KB
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

I understand and approve of building a historically correct restoration, but in this day and age I'd be nervous about flying a plane with such large numbers when every Karen on the ground is ready to report you for some perceived violation.

Yeah, I'll probably not do the wing markings for that reason but I still want the right font for the tail numbers. I've found a font that is pretty close and may use it if nothing better presents itself. This is for sizing with 3" letters.
    Name:  Rearwin tail nmber.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  80.9 KB
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

There are lots of antique airplanes flying with the large, historically correct, markings. I would not worry about a "Karen". We deal with them and FAA gets to handle them and explain that their fears have no basis in reality. Unless of course you actually plan to be flying under bridges...

The folks at EAA Antique Classic, or the Antique Airplane Association can likely give you the info that you want. Or maybe the Smithsonian. I have gotten drawings from the Smithsonian Air & Space folks. You have an excuse to meet new peers in the aviation world. No need to be bashful.

Best of luck,

Wes