Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will your VOR become obsolete

I've posted more information, including a map, about the FAA's plans here. FAA, apparently at the request of AOPA, has published a 3-page white paper that offers the first details I've seen of which VORs will probably be decommissioned, and the document explains some of the key criteria that FAA will use to make those decisions. Note that these changes focus on IFR operations.

Hi...

I have heard various stories about VOR becoming obsolete in the near future. Is this true ? If so when?

Good riddance! If we're worried about lack of navigational redundancy with GPS, at least get rid of those primitive electromechanical VOR indicators. Ten dollars worth of silicon could calculate aircraft position using VOR signals, triangulating a fix from radial signals and identifiers. It could seamlessly integrate with existing FMS and automatically activate on loss of GPS functionality, with little more than a warning indication noting service loss. (Albeit with a probable significant loss of fix accuracy. (still exponentially better than any human navigator.))