Thread: where to start?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

where to start?

Hello
    i arrived in Chicago for a funeral and now it's over am free to rent and fly into Oshkosh in a C172. I found some good things on the airventure website but would love to learn to speak in American. and listen too. You guys can be difficult to comprehend on radio; you say stuff differently and I will keep making a nuisance of myself with "say again" . Apart from liveATC any other links to resources available? TIA

Assuming that this isn't a joke, if you have a hard time understanding American English then you probably should not be trying to fly into Oshkosh by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Assuming that this isn't a joke, if you have a hard time understanding American English then you probably should not be trying to fly into Oshkosh by yourself.
    not a joke; it was my explicitly stated concern. If its as big a problem as you say, maybe you are right. that's why i'm on liveatc right now.

I think it was a joke. Where are you from, hobbit? When I moved to the USA from flying in the UK there were some unusual phrases to learn, but it wasn't too hard to get by.

the smiley was for tongue in cheek effect. I found some of the controllers too fast for me when I went up yesterday for the first time since my training in Florida. I got by as you say, but am a bit concerned to be on top of things flying in. Instructor told me some horror stories.

All you have to do is listen, rock your wings, and comply. I think listening to LiveATC is going to help a lot if you do fly in there. I've done it many times, the first time was nerve wracking, but just stay calm, and LISTEN...don't talk.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575