Thread: Flying in and out of College Park, MD KCGS or Leesburg, KJYO

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flying in and out of College Park, MD KCGS or Leesburg, KJYO

Quote Originally Posted by eaajen View Post
    You guys think it's better to live in VA, MD, or DC?
    Don’t know how to answer that question. Depends on what’s important to you.

I moved to Annapolis because I wanted to be on the water. We have GA airports over here but not the life that I see at some of the Virginia airports. I wish I had a more active GA community over here. If I didn’t want to be near the water and I wanted to be near the most lively GA airports, I would live near HEF-CJR, or FDK.

If being part of a super active aviation community aren’t important, and you just want a good grass runway, vintage airplanes, and don’t want to be in controlled airspace, you could consider Massey on the eastern shore. They are in the middle of nowhere but have a little museum, and give stearman rides. Just built some new hangers a few years ago and last I heard they had availability, but you are in rural Maryland closer to Delaware than DC.

If you hate little planes and NORDOS and like the security of controlled airports with clearance delivery and think a fun day is flying IFR, I would consider GAI, FDK, or maybe even Martin State. Martin has some cool history, a couple of flight schools, fuel, A&Ps, often have hangers available, and outside the SFRA, but you’re again at an airport catering to jets at a class D airport.

DC would be an adjustment for me. But if you prefer using public transportation and all the culture that DC provides, DC has a lot to offer, but it’s wicked expensive. From a flying standpoint, other than the Maryland three, You can’t fly there. But you do have the air and space museum on the mall and the udvar hazy museum at Dulles. Some of the most unique airplanes in the world are here, and they bring in interesting speakers if that’s your cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tnathan; 10-12-2021 at 12:39 PM.