Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phase One Flight Test

The flaps were broken during a previous flight. The flap drive is not strong enough for the air loads, and it broke between the motor and the flap.

Is there a specific CFR concerning Phase One, and known inoperative items on the aircraft?

If the POH requires the use of flaps you’ve pretty much answered your own question. Not familiar with your ECU.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I should quickly add a caveat that IF the fuel line also leaks and you smoke a pipe, but keep dropping the lit matches? Best up the old fire coverage on your insurance policy to the max limits prior to take-off.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    If the POH requires the use of flaps you’ve pretty much answered your own question. Not familiar with your ECU.
    It's an LS376-495 V8 engine, controlled by MoTeC. It requires electrical power to keep running!

Amps spiked to 50+, ECU breaker tripped, engine quit.

IF, and I DO mean IF this is indeed a serious, legitimate question from someone who not only made it through flight school but IS an actual Pilot with any number of hours under their belt? And not a troll type bit of humour? It would almost demand that I ask - "How badly do you want to prove Darwin and Mrs. Gump were correct?" OF COURSE you should NOT fly any airplane that has "multiple safety related mechanical problems" until they are properly corrected. Whaddya? Goofy?

I hasten to add that I mean no insult to anyone who actually IS incapable of cyphering that level of "'obvious decision making" on their own. I genuinely wish no one to do anything which would cause them injury or death.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    IF, and I DO mean IF this is indeed a serious, legitimate question from someone who not only made it through flight school but IS an actual Pilot with any number of hours under their belt? And not a troll type bit of humour? It would almost demand that I ask - "How badly do you want to prove Darwin and Mrs. Gump were correct?" OF COURSE you should NOT fly any airplane that has "multiple safety related mechanical problems" until they are properly corrected. Whaddya? Goofy?

I hasten to add that I mean no insult to anyone who actually IS incapable of cyphering that level of "'obvious decision making" on their own. I genuinely wish no one to do anything which would cause them injury or death.

It is too bad the hired test pilot...or should I say cowboy, did not have your logic. Does this picture answer your question?
    Name:  84F4A2CB-464C-467E-BAF3-D3C6051CD36C.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  95.8 KB
    Last edited by TXFlyGuy; 08-23-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Fix that right up with five gallons of 100LL, a railroad flare and GOOD insurance coverage.

So, Tx. Is that your airplane? If not, who's airplane is it, and what are/were the circumstances?

Is this the airplane with the electrical/flap issues, or are you intermingling a couple of different airplanes?

Whatever you're chasing, please put the whole story or situation out there instead of dragging the thread along with cryptic comments and incomplete information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    So, Tx. Is that your airplane? If not, who's airplane is it, and what are/were the circumstances?

Is this the airplane with the electrical/flap issues, or are you intermingling a couple of different airplanes?

Whatever you're chasing, please put the whole story or situation out there instead of dragging the thread along with cryptic comments and incomplete information.

Yes. This is my aircraft.
    The story is simply too long to put in one post. There is an active investigation underway. This includes, but is not limited to, the FAA and one or more law firms. No one is chasing anything. The intent is to get serious, intelligent input on the subject matter. This includes any information concerning the CFR's, and how they apply in this case.

Bottom line, the pilot-in-command made a conscious decision to fly an aircraft that was not safe, and not airworthy.

1. Flap drive broken, literally. Not just inoperative.
    2. Electrical malfunctions.
    a. Over amperage, spiking to 50+ amps. Normal range is 19 to 24.
    b. Wiring short, causing engine to cut out.
    c. Avionics Master switch, when selected "ON" would cause the engine to momentarily cut out.

Name:  D8108E4A-6189-4C3D-B31D-3BFBF289C45D.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  7FB8030C-8196-43A9-A762-15267E93643C.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  P1060246.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  94.7 KB
    Last edited by TXFlyGuy; 08-24-2021 at 04:31 AM.

That stinks.

What was the (apparent) accident mode? Runway loss of control leading to gear failure? Looks like all 4 prop blades took a hit, so the prop must have been turning.