Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop forums during airshows

Add me to the list that wishes the airshow was shorter. We don't need 45 minutes of the same warbirds going back and forth. I don't care about two monoplanes doing the same unrecognizable maneuvers back to back. Homebuilt in review is pretty much the same airplanes doing the same boring thing every year. But let's be honest, they aren't going to do that because the general spectator's probably love it all and I am sure lot's of sponsor dollars are earned during that time. Maybe it's time to enclose the forum areas to help dampen the sound. Even temporary structures like Epic and others have would help.

You’ve got to remember the forum buildings are only used for one week and serve as storage for the rest of the year. Making significant, read costly, improvements doesn’t make much sense. The only closed-in forum building is used to store vehicles when not in use.
    As mentioned earlier there was a time you could purchase recordings of the forums. It would be nice if they were recorded and archived but I doubt EAA has the assets to pull that off.
    Admittedly I’ve soured on air show noise. Too many years around A6s, F4s, Harriers and yea I spent 30+ years in the aerospace industry too. I found the multiple passes of the F18s to be particularly annoying. It probably started with the grating buzz of Samson back in the 80s. I get it….the show is a revenue draw but it’s not for me anymore.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    You’ve got to remember the forum buildings are only used for one week and serve as storage for the rest of the year. Making significant, read costly, improvements doesn’t make much sense. The only closed-in forum building is used to store vehicles when not in use.
    As mentioned earlier there was a time you could purchase recordings of the forums. It would be nice if they were recorded and archived but I doubt EAA has the assets to pull that off.
    Admittedly I’ve soured on air show noise. Too many years around A6s, F4s, Harriers and yea I spent 30+ years in the aerospace industry too. I found the multiple passes of the F18s to be particularly annoying. It probably started with the grating buzz of Samson back in the 80s. I get it….the show is a revenue draw but it’s not for me anymore.
    Aren't all those glass buildings Continental, Lycoming, Epic, etc only used once or twice a year? Surely if they can afford it EAA with it's massive membership could. I mean look at the massive museum expansion or the banquet hall that hardly get's used.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    I spent 30 years at the large aerospace manufacturer in Ft Worth TX. Right next to the runway at Carswell AfB / NASFWJRB.

When something took off under full afterburner, I and most others would just stop, turn, and watch. Love how some of them would thump the chest just like when you’re firing a .357 magnum. I know exactly what you’re saying.

In the late 80’s they were adding a basement to the large office building, so a few 100 of us were in portable buildings in the parking lot. You could always tell by the sound profile if a departing F-16 was about to begin air show demo mode. You’d hear calls of “Airshow Practice” and we’d all file out to watch. Loved those days.

Even more fun with a 4 or 5 ship ferry cell with an interval takeoff going at 4 am during the week!

As for taping the forums, eaa communications seems to have a program for bringing in interns from UW. I bet copying and producing a site hosting a collection of forums wouldn’t be that tough and give some more college kids some resume fillers and a little summer cash. If they sold such a product I would buy it.

As for the economics of airventure, it does seem like a magical place. I am shocked with what is there for essentially one week of the year. Not sure how they justify the expense of the black top, the electric, the massive amount of real estate, the existing buildings, hangers, etc. Not sure walling in 6 little pavilions and adding AC would break the bank. I do like the picnic table, open air, unpretentious vibe they strive for, but have been there too many times where I wish I could escape the storms, rain, hail, and heat.

It still irritates me a little that a few years ago we got caught on the field in a morning hail storm. I was near one of the exhibition hangers and the volunteer there refused to let the public shelter inside. I think the storm was like 20 minutes before they opened to the public. I was there with a group of folks trying to hide my daughter under the hanger door while the volunteer kept telling everyone to step back out into the weather and make way for the vendors so they could get to their booths. We could use more creature comforts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turning the @#%$^&@%^@ PA system off at the north end of the field during the airshow would be a great service to those trying to hear in the forums, and all that wish to not hear what is mostly senseless and often inaccurate commentary.

Just a thought….for 2022 how about holding evening forums on a couple of nights during the week as test. It’s a) cooler, b) quieter and c) cheaper than enclosing/air conditioning the buildings. If the topics are good, they will come.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    Turning the @#%$^&@%^@ PA system off at the north end of the field during the airshow would be a great service to those trying to hear in the forums, and all that wish to not hear what is mostly senseless and often inaccurate commentary.
    That’s an idea but with Covid the mindset seems to be to spread people down the flightline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't go to forms in the afternoon--just can't hear with all the noise
    Love Dave Shaws idea about having forums at night--sign me up !!!!!
    have a food truck in the middle of the forum buildings--people could eat dinner and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    I don't go to forms in the afternoon--just can't hear with all the noise
    Love Dave Shaws idea about having forums at night--sign me up !!!!!
    have a food truck in the middle of the forum buildings--people could eat dinner and learn.
    Now, that's thinkin'. Good ideas, both you and Dave.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.