Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grass Cutting Headset

By searching for "icom aviation headset adapter" (without the quotes) you can find an adapter designed to take care of the aviation vs non-aviation level/impedance problems when using your David Clarks, etc. Amazon, Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce and others carry them. I use one with my Icom A-21 and David Clarks and it works great.

Larry N.

I'm SO dumb - I read the post title and thought that's an insane way to try and mow a lawn, with blades on your head.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    By searching for "icom aviation headset adapter" (without the quotes) you can find an adapter designed to take care of the aviation vs non-aviation level/impedance problems when using your David Clarks, etc. Amazon, Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce and others carry them. I use one with my Icom A-21 and David Clarks and it works great.
    I looked at several of the ads that came up, and saw no mention of impedance matching. Can you point me to an ad that does?

The transformers that I've used for impedance matching are about the size of a large sugar cube...all the adaptors I saw didn't seem to have room for one, internally. The companies could have custom transformers made, but that would be a pretty small production run.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I looked at several of the ads that came up, and saw no mention of impedance matching. Can you point me to an ad that does?

The transformers that I've used for impedance matching are about the size of a large sugar cube...all the adaptors I saw didn't seem to have room for one, internally. The companies could have custom transformers made, but that would be a pretty small production run.

Ron Wanttaja
    Nope, can't find anything about specs for those -- good point. So I went to check out my adapter and I'd forgotten that it was a different animal, an Icom HS-61 Switch Box, according to the label, and it incorporates all the needed pieces including plugs for the headset, a push-to-talk switch, a nice coiled cord with adapter plug to fit my IC-A21, and even has adjustments for mic gain and monitor gain. Of course you get sidetone on transmit, too. Anyway, it works well, even in a Super Cub cockpit.

Sorry for being misleading, but I guess that's what I get for depending on memory. Of course there are non-transformer ways of matching impedance, which would potentially be smaller and could still be powered from the voltage on the mic jack, if the radio provides it, but if it's not a single chip it could get expensive.

Addendum: I just found this unit at Sporty's. It's aimed a using a headset with a PC, but might work -- includes a small box and needs a 9V battery -- but I still can't find specs: https://www.sportys.com/general-avia...t-adapter.html
    Last edited by lnuss; 08-07-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Nope, can't find anything about specs for those -- good point. So I went to check out my adapter and I'd forgotten that it was a different animal, an Icom HS-61 Switch Box, according to the label, and it incorporates all the needed pieces including plugs for the headset, a push-to-talk switch, a nice coiled cord with adapter plug to fit my IC-A21, and even has adjustments for mic gain and monitor gain. Of course you get sidetone on transmit, too. Anyway, it works well, even in a Super Cub cockpit.

Sorry for being misleading, but I guess that's what I get for depending on memory. Of course there are non-transformer ways of matching impedance, which would potentially be smaller and could still be powered from the voltage on the mic jack, if the radio provides it, but if it's not a single chip it could get expensive.
    No problem, conceivably your switch box might include something for impedance matching.

I checked mine by first measuring the resistance between the two leads for the headset. Infinite resistance indicates that there's no transformer across the leads.

I've heard some folks handle the mismatch by installing small resistances (50-100 ohm) in line. I checked mine by measuring the resistance of each line from the plug to the jack. Zero resistance indicates there's no added resistance.

Folks should understand... I don't doubt that some folks get acceptable performance without an impedance matcher. Probably a combination of type of handheld, age and condition of the headset, their own hearing capability, and the sound level inside the aircraft.

I measured 105 dB at chest level in my Fly Baby. That's considered to be dangerous if exposed for more than a half hour. Since my second :-) flight in the aircraft, I've used hearing protection (including when I was flying NORDO). In my case, it's just too much for a handheld radio and a stock aviation headset to overcome.

If you're NOT having a problem...don't worry about it. But I have heard from a number of folks, thanking me for posting the information and reporting a great improvement in their volume. I've built a number of adaptors and "lent" them to folks... 'lent' in the fact that I haven't got them back, yet. One guy was so impressed, he's put the adaptors into production...

https://qhaviation.company.site/Impe...ter-p291255055

Remember, PASSIVE noise attenuation is a very good thing...which might be a good reason to NOT use a consumer-grade headset since their passive noise reduction isn't very good.

In short, your headset works fine with your handheld: Great! Having trouble hearing your handheld? Consider getting/building an impedance adaptor or try using 8-ohm Plugfones.

Ron Wanttaja