Thread: Golf cart pilot pickup

Golf cart pilot pickup

Several years ago, not sure just which one it was, I volunteered to run a golf cart to pick up arriving pilots and their passengers and stuff. I had to report by radio who I picked up and where they were going to a command center. I think it was located South a bit along Knapp in, what appeared to be, a maintenance building. At the time, I was told we needed to keep a good log to justify the operation's existence. I haven't seen this in any of the years I've attended since. Does anyone know if they still do this? I thought it was a great service for the arriving pilots/passengers and it was a lot of fun.
    Thanks,
    Wes

The show has a generic "carts" program but it lacks any communications/dispatch feature as near as I can tell. There's also Tony's Taxi and the Homebuilders Welcome Wagon (which seems to have picked up a new vehicle or two including one I call the "Popemobile.).

I think it’s the Pober Mobile. But you’re right HB HQ has several vehicles for new arrival pickup.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I thought I'd add that there were several golf carts operating with a schedule board.

I was picked up by a golf cart coming through the pedestrian gate by the Super 8, and the gentleman driving did make a call with his pax count and destination. Very much appreciated and I was sure to leave a donation in the jar.

I volunteered to drive for that golf carts program this year. Handicapped folks were the main priority. But if I saw someone that looked like they were walking with any kind of limp, or what seemed to be an effort to continue, I stopped and offered a ride. Or just wave us down. Handicap flags on top of the carts. My main area of coverage was the South 40. If you parked down in row 160 or beyond, it was quite a hike back up to a bus or tram stop. If you find yourself in need of a lift, just get a security guy to call our dispatch. They will send one of us over. I'm very happy I was able to participate in this program this year. I met people from all over the world. Perhaps I gave one of you a ride.

As a tram driver, I have been "lobbying" to get that south 40 stop that busses use as a tram stop also. Wouldn t be so far to walk then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_T View Post
    I volunteered to drive for that golf carts program this year. Handicapped folks were the main priority. But if I saw someone that looked like they were walking with any kind of limp, or what seemed to be an effort to continue, I stopped and offered a ride. Or just wave us down. Handicap flags on top of the carts. My main area of coverage was the South 40. If you parked down in row 160 or beyond, it was quite a hike back up to a bus or tram stop. If you find yourself in need of a lift, just get a security guy to call our dispatch. They will send one of us over. I'm very happy I was able to participate in this program this year. I met people from all over the world. Perhaps I gave one of you a ride.
    Might have been you. I was hobbling over to the Builders Education Center Saturday AM before Convention to check in, and a Dick Vansgrunsven lookalike asked if I could use a lift. As he dropped me off, he mentioned calling dispatch if I needed another ride.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

A friend and I were also offered a ride. As it was the 5th or 6th day it was most appreciated. He made a call (dispatch?) as well.