Thread: Bozos on the Fisk Arrival

Bozos on the Fisk Arrival

ATC was using Puckaway Lake as the beginning point for the Fisk arrival when I flew in Friday at noon. I was met by a flight of three Cessna's heading the opposite direction right down the arrival path toward Puckaway Lake at the 1800'. It never ceases to amaze me each year what happens. Some of my other favorites, reading the NOTAM to another pilot, cutting in line between Ripon and Fisk, passing on the arrival so they don't lose sight of their friend. I guess just another normal year.

Of course, this year it doesn't help with the poorly written and inaccurate information in the NOTAM. The furthest out initial point lists three different locations. The GPS coordinates, the textual description, and the indication on the map are all several miles displaced from each other.

They had one job to do - follow the procedure that had been published for over a month. Obviously too much to ask the entitled.

First we have the " Out of my way, peon! " approach.
    Name:  2021-07-29-at-10.00.01-AM.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  73.4 KB

Then the " Push your way in, Mickey, they'll stop. " approach.
    Name:  2021-07-29-at-10.08.19-AM.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  24.4 KB

And finally, the " I left the NOTAM at home." approach.
    Name:  2021-07-29-at-10.36.14-AM.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  37.0 KB

I was listening to the atc through out the week. ATC was calling out people who were "jumping in line". On several occasions tail numbers were used to call out people and they were told to get back to the starting point.

I believe the aviation safety world calls those pilots the "unreachables." They don't check NOTAMs, don't seek out safety-related articles, don't read accident case studies, don't take online safety courses or quizzes, don't attend safety seminars/webinars, and so on. Their mantra is, "I'm a good pilot; it won't happen to me." Meanwhile, they fly 20 hours/year, and ten of those are getting to and from KOSH.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

"I'm a good pilot; it won't happen to me." Meanwhile, they fly 20 hours/year, and ten of those are getting to and from KOSH.

Great Comment Eric!!

Mike Wordell
    Lifetime EAA, ATP, MEL/Comm:SEL,FEJ,FET, A/P
    ALPA

We had one aircraft land on Papa this year. There's always some clown that calls the tower at the edge of the class D oblivious of the NOTAM.