Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Problems Dealing with The New Firewall Forward in Fort Collins, CO?

Good thread and thanks for keeping it alive.

Dennis, before you blame Firewall for your fuel pump you may want to look at your records. You will notice that your fuel system is a T.C.M. factory overhauled unit. Firewall had nothing to do with that other than installing it on your engine. The Cessna 180 with the carburetor actually came to me and my shop to get the leaking problem solved. He again had absolutely noting to do with Firewall. The carburetor problem was due to the fact that the pilot was running Mogas and because of the shape of the induction and the vaporization rate of the auto fuel that particular engine will leak mogas on shutdown. He now uses Mogas in one tank and 100ll in the other and switches to the 100ll before landing which has solved his problem. I don't have any explanation for the silicone in the Lancair but his fuel system wasn't opened up during the work done on his engine. While I have no love for Firewall I do respect their mechanics and I ask that you understand the situation that you are referring to before you spread falsehoods on this thread.
    Last edited by Fuelman; 03-13-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Zach anything and everything that was given to me from the management of this shop is worthless! I don't disagree with you that a few of the mechanics are standup guys. I do have strong suspicions that you're disgruntled and quite possibly having troubles getting paid? Don't forget that I have had to "live" at the shop for weeks in order to get anything done... I've witnessed enough to be more than credible.

I know that you have plenty of things to be credible about when it comes to your experience with firewall so instead of describing things on this thread that are the problem of T.C.M or a customer getting a problem fixed that was not caused by firewall. Firewall and I have parted ways and I am very happy that I have done so but a two year old leaking fuel pump that was overhauled by a completely different company is not their problem, call TCM and see what they will do to fix it and don't try and blame a company that isn't at fault on this issue or have this particular warranty to cover. By all means continue to describe the lousy service you received but why talk bad about this when you have legitimate things to tell the world.

Big Grin Positive New Firewall Forward Experience

This thread is from a long time ago, so i'm adding a little summary of our positive experience with The New Firewall Forward, for those that are looking at engine overhauls:

-----

As the new owners of a older cessna turbo 182rg, which we got with a run out engine, we spent a while looking at different shops for the rebuild project.

Our first instinct was to use a local shop, so that we could check on the progress of the work. We met with and talk to quite a few places across Southern California. We also thought about doing an engine exchange and having our local shop install it.

Knowing that our plane sat for a long time before we bought it, we were worried about the gremlins they could be hiding in the project.

At the end of the day we selected Frank and Tom from the new firewall forward because of their expertise and their commitment to quality. We spent a lot of time on the phone with them talking through the details especially in light of the mixed reviews they'd had in the past.

Tom came and ferried the plane back to Colorado to their shop, and they did all the work. Originally the project was scheduled for 6 to 8 weeks, knowing that every project have some uncertainty. In the end it took 8 weeks plus another week to schedule time to get it the plane back to Los Angeles. We also ended up having to redo the exhaust system which was rusted out. Tom and Frank sent it out to the shop to get done at cost. We also had them install a JPI 900, which is been very helpful both for the break-in of the engine as well at the monitor overall performance.

First impressions were great (and continue). Tom flew the plane out to our hangar, since we didn’t have time to go pick it up. Then he walked us through everything they did, the functioning of the JPI, and took us up for a couple test flights together. The engine looked like it was brand new, painted, all the cables and wires perfectly tied down.

We have flown about 150 hours since the New firewall forward rebuilt our engine. Compressions have been very strong across the board. Temps have been quite even (~50 degrees). Engine starts every time without any problems (thanks to the new starter they recommended and put in). We’ve called them a few times with questions and they’ve always been quick to answer. We had one problem with a bad wiring harness from JPI which was hard to troubleshoot. They worked with our local shop to figure out what was wrong and coordinate with JPI for a warranty replacement. The engine burns less than ½ quart every 25 hours (our conservative oil change interval).

The final bill was what they quoted us, plus the exhaust and a new ELT that we needed to install. Timeline was on par with the original estimates, despite some extra work. No deposit was requested.

We couldn’t be happier with the project, how it went, or how Frank and Tom took care of us.

They took a beating from some previous customers who didn’t have the same experience we did, and they are making sure it doesn’t happen again. If someone has questions about the quality of service at The New Firewall Forward, we’d be happy to share our experience.

So glad to hear that your experience was positive! Is been a long while since I've had the opportunity to check in with this thread. Did I understand you correct when you say you've been dealing with Frank as the manager? Its my understanding that Josh has moved on and I'd like to have some confirmation that things are turning around.

Just to keep this thread going in a positive direction. Frank was the manager for the last few years and now just runs the office. I've worked with he and Glenn and they both have been great. Glenn has rebuilt a turbo charger for me and has my other two turbo chargers to rebuild. He does really good work. I've had a plane at FNL now for 3 yrs and The New Firewall Forward has been outstanding. I'm pretty sure that if you have an issue with their service Frank will make it right. I would trust these guys completely rebuilding an engine for me.