Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banned "conveyances" in abundance

Banned "conveyances" in abundance

If there is a rule, I am all for universal enforcement. After Sunday night, many conveyances are not allowed on the grounds. The banned conveyances include (captured from website).....

• Bicycles, roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, “Razor” style scooters, hoverboards, golf carts, and other personal mobility devices except as specifically permitted below***.

I have no dog in the hunt, but when I see two of those one wheel thingies whiz by on Whitman, and then a security guy tells a little boy he can't ride his Razor.....something does not seem right. There were electric bikes in abundance. No enforcement that I could see, not saying it wasn't there. The Razor is not allowed, clearly, but what sort of message is this to that little guy? When he gets taller he can do what he wants?? All in all, great OSH experience, maybe 40 plus as I quit counting. I will be back next year with grandkids this time.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

While I don't agree with the security guy stopping the kid and not the adults, yes part of growing up is getting more freedom and responsibility. That said I didn't see too many offenders of breaking the rule except for the people who rented powered wheel chairs that clearly didn't need it. What I did see is vendors, vip, or other notable people riding around in UTV's golf carts, and 4 wheelers. Unless you are a medical provider, delivering supplies, or shuffling volunteers you shouldn't be using motorized transportation. It wasn't as bad this year as it has been so good on whoever helped crack down on it.

This is yet another side effect of the ADA abuse. The EAA is letting just about anything driven by anybody to be considered a disabled transportation device. It's causing problems like the service/support animal nnnsense.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The EAA is letting just about anything driven by anybody to be considered a disabled transportation device.
    Cool. Next year I'm bringing a Roman chariot powered by my emotional support Emu because of vision problems - I can't see myself walking around like a normal person. Watch where you step.

I'm sorry for the poor little boy also, but, adults know how to get that "accessibility" sticker. Ummmm, even when they really don't need it for "accessibilty".

Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ssteve1 View Post
    I'm sorry for the poor little boy also, but, adults know how to get that "accessibility" sticker. Ummmm, even when they really don't need it for "accessibilty".

Too bad.
    I want to add that this event is the peak of my year. Always has been since the days of riding the "tram" from the N 40 which was then not that far north, and the tram was a flat bed farm wagon pulled by a farm tractor. I cannot imagine the manpower, training, logistical, and other issues involved. So, my complaint was meant to be more of an "observation" than anything else. I am sure there are many issues that popped up. The bike/electric bike/one wheeler issue is one that needs to be addressed. Having the freedom to ride a bike during the pre-show days was nice, but that freedom ends Sunday night. I will also bet that next year, Portage will be added as an additional transition point (prior to Endeavor) on the arrival procedure. I see complaints about noise. Sleeping in the VAC area, it is music to my ears to hear the clanging dumpster emptying out, and the porta potty service truck. I also think that after Wednesday's storm, the water sucking truck(s) were put to use. And yes, if they ever pull The Yodeler, I will be gone, just sayin. That is EAA Heritage, thru and thru. I am glad that they archived those 7am events.
    Last edited by Inspector Fenwick; 08-01-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

What is a "one wheeler"??

Sort of like a skateboard, but with one large powered wheel in the middle.

yep, love hearing the Yodeler each year!

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    Sort of like a skateboard, but with one large powered wheel in the middle.
    Sounds like a good way to get hurt