Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn’t EAA allow Fifi and other Warbirds to Charge for rides?

So have you contacted CAF and FOD and lobbied to have them display their respective aircraft at Osh? Seems to me that’s where you need to focus your efforts, and not at EAA.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    1)Anyone who was at Oshkosh in 2017 can attest to just how awe inspiring having Fifi and Doc there together was.
    What rule, policy or procedure did the EAA change from 2017 to 2021 that kept either airplane from AirVenture 2021?

BJC

The position and explanation provided by the EAA and the CAF on this issue are conflicting. That’s why I was asking for clarification on it. I’ve reached out to both organizations now and the response back conflicts. So I guess the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. But that still doesn’t bring Fifi back to Oshkosh to fly with Doc and that’s what’s truly important here. Educating our kids on the lessons of WWII is the most important thing we can do to honor our WWII Veterans and keep their legacy alive for future generations to learn from. The B-29’s are the perfect tool to accomplish that mission.

Quote Originally Posted by BJC View Post
    What rule, policy or procedure did the EAA change from 2017 to 2021 that kept either airplane from AirVenture 2021?

BJC
    I have no idea- that’s why I asked this question in the first place.

Well I wish you luck. I personally don’t share your concerns as I believe the history lessons you want to impart can be and are accomplished by the dozens of other warbirds, both past and contemporary, that are at the show every year. Sure the B-29s are impressive, but they aren’t the end all, be all.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 08-05-2021 at 06:36 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I agree with you. Oshkosh brings in an amazing and unreal cross section of fantastic WWII Warbirds and from my perspective, it’s excellent every year. But that’s my perspective and not the perspective of high school aged kids who we need to do everything we can to get them interested in WWII History. The Mustangs, Lightnings, Corsairs, B-17’s and B-25’s definitely capture their attention but the B-29 takes that to whole nother level. We just want to drive the lessons home that we learned from our experiences in WWII to them so we never repeat the atrocities of the past. And it’s vital we use every tool in our Arsenal to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    The position and explanation provided by the EAA and the CAF on this issue are conflicting.
    Mark, please stop using that reference. The video on YouTube you keep referencing was made by a person completely unaffiliated with EAA or CAF by means of any type of employed position. The entire video was based up on his reported discussion with a "CAF volunteer" and then later referenced in the comments section as a "mechanic". Which, again, without any cited, actual CAF sources supporting the claim made in the video it is purely conjecture and ultimately really libel against EAA. EAA has already made statement in this thread on the matter. If you get an actual response from a CAF organization employee (i.e. NOT a volunteer) then certainly feel free to post that here along with their name, position, and date of correspondence so we can see the result.

But please discontinue referencing the YouTube video as CAF's opinion without further confirmation.

One other thing, Doc was scheduled to be in Oshkosh this year, but due to mechanical issues (bad engine), was not able to make it. Anybody know why FIFI wasn't schedule to be there? They have been in the past, and have always conducted their rides out of Appleton.

Quote Originally Posted by thellmer View Post
    Mark, please stop using that reference. The video on YouTube you keep referencing was made by a person completely unaffiliated with EAA or CAF by means of any type of employed position. The entire video was based up on his reported discussion with a "CAF volunteer" and then later referenced in the comments section as a "mechanic". Which, again, without any cited, actual CAF sources supporting the claim made in the video it is purely conjecture and ultimately really libel against EAA. EAA has already made statement in this thread on the matter. If you get an actual response from a CAF organization employee (i.e. NOT a volunteer) then certainly feel free to post that here along with their name, position, and date of correspondence so we can see the result.

But please discontinue referencing the YouTube video as CAF's opinion without further confirmation.
    Not sure about all this. I saw the video too and assume there is some truth to it. But, They were there in past years. Did the rules change? Sometimes on the field with doc and sometimes I thought they were flying out of fond Du lac or Green Bay if I recall. I assumed it was just easier to work flights out of there rather than dodging arrivals and air shows at Kosh. I assumed it was the best of both worlds. They pull customers from the 600k visitors interested in aviation to take a bucket list ride. The riders get to fly over the biggest air show in the world and FiFi can stage out of a satellite field that is easier and maybe cheaper than kosh. Why didn’t that work this year? EAA can’t control what the caf does at a satellite field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"One other thing, Doc was scheduled to be in Oshkosh this year, but due to mechanical issues (bad engine)"

Please.... let's not start injecting facts into a good conspiracy theory - LOL
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln