Thread: How are Daily Car Parking Lots Working Out?

How are Daily Car Parking Lots Working Out?

I’m not there this year, but when I do go, I’ve always stayed off site and drove in.
    I was wondering how the car parking is working out in practice without the Blue lot, and essentially everyone needing to take a bus, or very long walk, to get to the entrance gates? Of course the real stress test doesn’t come until Friday and Saturday.
    Since the blimp is there this year, I think that takes over the Yellow parking lot.

IDK as I park off-site usually. But it seems like EAA is making it harder and harder for us ordinary people to attend. The red, blue, and I think orange, have been taken over by airplanes and vendors. I do not understand why the public can't park closer. The vendors generally arrive and leave around the same time, and many of them have golf carts. Park them in the gray and brown lots and provide shuttles to the warehouse hangars, or let them leave their carts locked in the lots overnight. And extend the tram routes to include the museum; the bus takes forever to load and unload.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    But it seems like EAA is making it harder and harder for us ordinary people to attend. ... I do not understand why the public can't park closer.
    Money. Same reason half of Scholler is off limits to tents. If you can't afford a fifth wheel and an electric site or have a generator to run 24/7, you're too poor and creatively discouraged from attending. Can't afford $500k bigwigs by having people just come to look around.

At $15 a day for an 8’ X 15’ plot of grass, I think there’s plenty of money there. The limitation of the available land, and how much to invest in an event that is only 1 week a year factors in to it.

I think rapid loading and unloading trams to move a lot of people between parking and the entrance would be ideal, but the cost probably is too high. While the school buses hold a lot of people, they spend a lot of time standing while loading and unloading. Trams are what amusement parks use. I assume they can’t count on borrowing that many more tractors, and there’s the time limit on the tractors they get. Maybe used airplane tugs would make decent towing vehicles.

Agree with BeagleOne. Red, Orange, and now Blue Lot removed as general admission parking and used for vendors, exhibitors and special permit parking hurts.

Folks parking on the west side of Poberezny still have to cross back over to get the museum shuttle down the bus park. Not sure why there is no shuttle stop on that side of the road. It would seem far easier and more convenient. On the other hand, exiting the Brown Lot using the frontage road and going down past Camp Scholler to Exit 113, Waupun Rd works great.

Yesterday we were in the Gray Lot; the attendant could not get her bar scan reader to work on our etic. She finally gave up and gave us a parking permit. Seemed kinda silly to exchange one piece paper for another. The only shuttle bus I saw was marked for the Gray Lot to Bus Park. If you needed to get to the museum from there you were on your own.

In the afternoon the Bus Park was a total traffic jam and the air show had not even ended yet. It was so hot and humid people started to bail out of the busses and walk. The solution to relieve the pedestrian/vehicle congestion at the intersection of Waukau and Foundation Rd has not been found. That’s a tough location for traffic management…. a ton of foot traffic, vehicles exiting the lot, shuttle buses, in general a mess. But at least the powers to be can’t blame the general admission parking types.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun