Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scholler Attendance so far ...

Scholler Attendance so far ...

To anyone already set up at Camp Scholler ...

Not sure the CAN/US land border will get opened up in time, but just in case they come to their senses at the last minute, could anyone who is set up in their normal camping spot provide an estimate of how busy things are compared to past years?

We would normally camp in a tent in the woods, but noticed in 2019 that it was not possible to get a low traffic shaded site even at opening time on Friday morning.

Anybody have any info on relative camping attendance so far?

Thanks,
    John from North of the "49th Parallel".
    Last edited by FlyingCanuck; 07-18-2021 at 10:40 AM.

I setup at 11:00am on July 2nd (Scholler opening day). I got a spot in the woods, but it was filling fast. My neighbor went out this past Friday morning (7/16/2021) and indicated he did not get as optimal of a spot that he had in 2019.

took my camper there on the 2nd and could not get my usual spot from years past due to chapter reps marking off large area . I always use the old 20 x 30 spot allotment that was there for years. Now I guess you take as much space as you need

My brother went up on July 16th, much sooner than we usually arrive. In the past we have arrived Wednesday before the opening, five days early. From 2012 to 2017 that got us a spot as close to the show as 48th, (52nd is farthest East, which is the gold standard) and as far back as 43rd. In 2018 Chapter camping was introduced, and the same arrival moved all the way back to 35th street.

This year we decided to "really get there early" and opted for eleven days early. When he got there the best he could get was 29th. That's about half a mile back from where we hoped to be! Chapter camping spots started getting marked out on July 5th this year , so it will be pretty expensive to beat out in terms of getting there earlier.

I understand the reason for Chapter camping, and applaud the EAA for doing it. As much as people want to beat the drum about EAA squeezing every dollar out of people, nobody has mentioned what a great service EAA is providing at a discount. That $252 spot the EAA ropes off on July 5th would cost $784 dollars to mark out that day as an individual. We were in charge of staking out the area for a chapter since the mid 70's. At the height of our chapter in Pittsburgh (PA) we were marking off spots for 12 families in the 80's. Now as second (and third) generation attendees all of us kids have moved to different parts of the country. Although our parents are no longer with us we still all camp together as a family for 10 days in Oshkosh.

As much as I applaud them for doing something to help the Chapters now, it has really hosed up our traditional camping area of the past 40 years! Not sure what we will do. We might start searching for chapters to join that have zero Oshkosh attendees, on the condition of being their representative to Chapter camping. I will guarantee them several new members!
    Last edited by glider90; 07-20-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    took my camper there on the 2nd and could not get my usual spot from years past due to chapter reps marking off large area . I always use the old 20 x 30 spot allotment that was there for years. Now I guess you take as much space as you need
    Chapter spots are from two to six units. If a chapter has six parties, the spot would need to be decently large. I do not think the Chapters themselves are marking the spots, it is done by EAA on behalf of the Chapter. There was a post earlier this month about the process, but I can't seem to locate it now.

First, I was one of the volunteers who helped stake out the chapter camping. Your comments are not totally correct. There were no chapters placed east of Binder. We did put a chapter with two units on the corner of Lindberg and on west side of Binder because it fit next to a camper unit that was in place. Camp Scholler camping layout changes year to year; the chapter office does not make those decisions. Chapter areas were based on number of units/20x30 plot. Paul’s Woods was full before the chapter stake out even began. There were designated stay out areas too. Chapter camping has become very popular and the number of requests was way up this year. The expansion of improved camping sites didn’t help either.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    The expansion of improved camping sites didn’t help either.
    You aren't kidding. Using the earlier post to see what might MIGHT be available when I pull in Thursday, I went to reference the current Scholler map and was like... whoa. Due to the expansion, even if you get there early-ish, you will STILL be down in south BFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    First, I was one of the volunteers who helped stake out the chapter camping. Your comments are not totally correct. There were no chapters placed east of Binder. Camp Scholler camping layout changes year to year; the chapter office does not make those decisions. Chapter areas were based on number of units/20x30 plot. Paul’s Woods was full before the chapter stake out even began.
    Right, We have never been East of Binder or in the woods. Those areas must essentially fill up in the first two or three days. We typically camp in the area framed by between the Elm and Lindbergh / Binder and Deischer. The woods and East of Binder have never been open when we arrive. I do recall that in 2019 the streets were moved and renumbered. In 2019 the farthest road to the east changed from 61st to 52nd. I still have a map form 2018 that shows the old layout and the spots we have occupied since 2012. I appreciate the reply.

Do you recall if there were any areas for 4 20X30 sites left in the Elm/Lindbergh/Binder/Deischer square after chapter stakeout?
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A couple of chapters asked to be just west of the Binder farm. There was space when I was last there but I haven’t been back in that area for about a week plus. You obviously understand the situation. It’s been a little slow but the registration guys are expecting a big push starting tomorrow. Good luck.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I am so disappointed in the EAA. It seems that they have forgotton about the aging membership. The longer I have been a member the further back I have to camp. I would come up to mark off our area at least 10 days prior to the start close to 49th and Deischer for years. Then in 2019 when we arrived we were back around 38th st. Looks like the same or worse this year. Our group isn't together this year. This chapter thing has a lot of long time members upset. Maybe we could start our own chapter so we could get an area marked off for us next year. Like many of us I have been a member since 1977 and don't get along as well as I did back then. Just venting a little, sorry for the rant.