Thread: CFI Compensation and Experimental Aircraft

CFI Compensation and Experimental Aircraft

Given new rule...a simple question. Can I pay a CFI to give me a flight review in my EAB Aircraft?

Yes, if you have a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) for the aircraft, and the instructor has one for himself.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Yes, if you have a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) for the aircraft, and the instructor has one for himself.
    I thought the latest direction was that you would be OK if either the instructor or the airplane had the LODA?

EAA, got any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I thought the latest direction was that you would be OK if either the instructor or the airplane had the LODA?
    Looks like you're right. From the EAA website's FAQ on this topic:

I fly an experimental aircraft. How does this change in policy apply to me?

If you are not giving or receiving instruction in the aircraft, this policy does not directly apply to you. Compensating or hiring an individual to fly with you in an experimental aircraft is now considered contrary to the rules. To fly with a compensated or hired CFI, you or the CFI now need a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA).

Does the owner/operator, the CFI, or both need the LODA?

Only one person in the cockpit needs to have the LODA. If you are a CFI and your student holds a LODA for their aircraft, you are covered.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I had no problem in the past paying my CFI for a flight review. No more than paying my car dealer to do an oil change or contracting with a plumber to unclog a drain. I certainly expect "compensation" when I repair people's cars or airplanes. My CFI and I may have a "scratch each other's back agreement" but that is between he and I. The Godfather never got paid directly in cash.