Thread: COVID testing in Oshkosh

COVID testing in Oshkosh

Hi guys.
    Seems that I will be one of the few Canadian flying-in this year.
    One condition prior to returning to Canada is to take a Covid test (PCR or NAAT) within 72 hours of returning to Canada. I have located places to take such a test in Oshkosh (CVS), but all of these seem to be of the drive-through type, and thus require to have a car. Does anybody know of any alternative besides hiring a cab or an Uber to have one of those tests? I am concerned about availability of those during Airventure. Is anybody aware of a walk-in test clinic around Oshkosh?

I know that UWO has rapid testing, but I'm not sure if they have it outside of the school year.

I bet Uber will be a good option. You can get one during the airshow pretty easy because everyone is at the show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The July 8 EAA e-Hotline email had this information:

For international travelers who require a PCR test during EAA AirVenture, to return to their country of origin, please directly email kennyrph@gmail.com to schedule an appointment with Schultz Pharmacy in Oshkosh. There is a cost associated with this service, which individuals will be required to pay. The pharmacy will have insurance forms available for individuals to submit to their health insurance company. You will receive results in about one hour; results can be emailed or delivered via paper to a location on the EAA grounds. Questions should be directed to Omro Pharmacy, the parent company of Schultz Pharmacy, at 920-685-5041. Please note, EAA is not requiring you to provide proof of a negative COVID test to attend EAA AirVenture Oshkosh.

I see that pharmacy is located on N Main Street, just north of the Fox River. Not walking distance. I’m not sure if transportation is available. I would think that email would be able to answer that.

Thanks Paul,
    I missed that great piece of information. I will contact them.

Both Uber/Lyft and Oshkosh cab work pretty well. I've had Oshkosh cab on speed dial for decades (I did have to update it when they changed the area code).

Oddly enough, I've had locals just offer us rides as we were walking around town and one time the city bus that was going out of service drove us straight to our destination on her way to the barn. Gotta love the Wisconsites.

Well this doesn’t inspire confidence. Why is the PCR test OK today, but it won’t be next January 1? It appears that the PCR test doesn’t adequately identify the famous new germ vs. the normal seasonal flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

i don’t know what we would do without “experts”, but I would sure like to try.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    Well this doesn’t inspire confidence. Why is the PCR test OK today, but it won’t be next January 1? It appears that the PCR test doesn’t adequately identify the famous new germ vs. the normal seasonal flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

Hehe.
    I asked my doctor when this COVID thing was going to end.
    He said “I don’t know, I’m a doctor, not a politician”.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post

Howdy, I hope you’re having a great time at Oshkosh! Wish I were there…. 😄

I suspect that you have misunderstood your CDC’s communication. The PCR assay is highly specific for SARS-CoV-2, so therefore a very reliable test. What the CDC are trying to do is improve the efficiency of testing laboratories by recommending an assay that can test for, and differentiate between, influenza *and* SARS-CoV-2. Makes a lot of sense to me, particularly with the approaching flu season.