Thread: Best mower for a grass strip

Best mower for a grass strip

Hi EAA'ers

Seeking some advice on the best mower for maintaining 5 acres of grass runway?

Any advice appreciated.

We use a zero turn mower with an extra "sidecar" mower deck. Takes about 2 1/2 hours to do our 3000x75 runway (and the extra stuff on the outside of the runway lights).

I have a Woods P990 pull behind finish mower that cuts pretty nice. They also make it with a 3 point hitch. The belts slip if the grass gets too high & wet in the spring, but cutting a runway regularly that wouldn't be a problem.

Ganged reel mower. Won't leave any grass blades lying in windrows on the surface as it grinds the grass to pulp.

Thanks Guys

anyone have any experience with a Kohler powered Kubota?

We have one out at the farm. It's been a godsend! A touch loud (hearing protection is a MUST), but reliable and powerful.

One note: I highly HIGHLY recommend springing for the suspension seat. One day of mowing a few weeks ago laid my back up pretty bad due to getting jostled around so much.

My dad has a diesel Kubota, it ran great until the hydrostat started leaking a few weeks ago. His one complaint is no suspension, it beats him to death, but he uses it on the farm which has rough ground.

I've had good luck with the Kohler M-series engines. Can't comment on Kubota.

I've got a 60" X-Mark Lazer with a 25 hp Kohler (new in 1996), it's a great machine and a new Kubota diesel 60" zero turn. I can tell you the Kubota drinks the diesel, I should've known this when I bought it. I have 4 other diesel Kubota machines.

The Lazer mows a lot prettier than the Kubota.