Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experimentals featured in SA…Really?

I recently submitted an article about a V8 conversion on a C172 that eliminated need for lead gas, 20% more efficient, better performance, 60% cheaper to operate and meets part 33 standards. We are developing a firewall forward kit for legacy cert aircraft, and also an EXP crate engine. …. Something I thought would be more of an interest from SA. Editor assigned a staff writer who contacted me by phone for their article, which was published a couple months later in SA. I was disappointed that they didn’t have much interest in the project or even my submitted article. I’m a published author and former DER and grasped the subject and covered some of the challenges with not only the engineering, but issues modifying a certified aircraft regulations related topics, which I believed many EAA members could relate.

So, my experience SA is not real interested in articles submitted.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    The trouble is, these days, most of the folks I know finishing airplanes have RVs.

Ron Wanttaja

This caused me to go back and look at my records. Of the last 200+ Amateur-Built and Light-Sport aircraft that I have certificated, RVs accounted for 38% of them.

19% were Cub replicas.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Mel, Does Ron Wattanja (sp?) have those data?

I have to say after hitting a low point a few years ago, Sport Aviation has done a tremendous come back. I actually find it interesting and informative now and they do try to spread things out across the EAA interest areas.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I have to say after hitting a low point a few years ago, Sport Aviation has done a tremendous come back. I actually find it interesting and informative now and they do try to spread things out across the EAA interest areas.
    It is better. I remain weary of mostly recycled articles from Budd Davisson. There is another one in the current issue.

Quote Originally Posted by guyfly47 View Post
    Mel, Does Ron Wattanja (sp?) have those data?
    I'm on the road right now, with no access to my data. But IIRC, RVs compose about 20-25% of new homebuilts. However, Carbon Cub is equal to the RV-7 (The most common new RV) in last year's statistics, as far as new airplanes added in 2020.

I've discussed homebuilt fleet sizes at:

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...ft-Fleet-Sizes

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 09-11-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Sport Aviation or building

For me the most rewarding part of building is the creative problem solving process. You could say that is using my own head. Assembling parts from well written instruction manuals is a popular past-time for other builders. The latest edition with those jet powered aircraft don't really appeal to me.