The July 2021 issue of Sport Aviation features a couple of airplanes that in my view are abusing the experimental label. The Rearwin with an experimental radial engine uses a certified airplane from the firewall back. I thought you couldn’t use complete assemblies such as a Vagabond wing when building a Wagabond. The “builder” hired out most of the construction. Maybe he’s in the limited factory experimental category but the article didn’t mention that and it didn’t sound like it.
The Velocity with a turbine engine was built by a small pro shop formed for the purpose with employees with the expertise needed. The company plans to build more planes including a twin turbine Velocity. This one certainly isn’t a factory experimental unless the company is planning on certifying the prototype. The article didn’t say that.
Neither of the projects were built by amateurs solely for education and entertainment and did not comply with the OBAM 51% rule that the rest of us have to. Why are they being featured as experimental in SA? Am I missing something?

Just wondering in Michigan,
Eric Schlanser, EAA forgot#