PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Photo-realistic Panel – Help!

RCS
01-24-2021, 12:11 PM
My goal is to model all of the avionics and instruments and build up a lifelike representation of my instrument panel. To achieve this I would like to grab images of the instrument faces and apply them to the models. Are there any tutorials or other suggestions on how to accomplish this image paste operation in Solidworks? Thanks for any feedback!

Jeffrey Meyer
01-25-2021, 05:43 AM
Hi RCS

There is a SolidWorks Tutorial called "PhotoView 360 and Appearances"​ that shows you how to do this by applying Decals to the face(s) of your panel.

vondeliusc
01-25-2021, 08:11 AM
My goal is to model all of the avionics and instruments and build up a lifelike representation of my instrument panel. To achieve this I would like to grab images of the instrument faces and apply them to the models. Are there any tutorials or other suggestions on how to accomplish this image paste operation in Solidworks? Thanks for any feedback!

RCS (do you have a name?)-
I won't teach you how to do this, but this is what I do. We waterjet panels from my SW part, with instruments accurately located and drawn for the customer's approval.
Here is an example. Each instrument component typically has a 'sketch picture' inserted and scaled (cleverly).
Here is a capture of a panel I made; I have attached the .assy in a zip. If you take the time to review the steps in the feature tree, it should give you a clue enough to proceed on your own. It is not 'photo-realistic' but gives you a simple process to create what I think you are looking for:

Link to the .zipfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfh0ll909j675r4/C-GIQC%20panel%20Assy.zip?dl=0 (if you click the little arrow in the upperLH corner, you can D/L the .zip file as a unit, then extract the files locally.
Have fun and good luck,
-Christian von Delius

SOLIDKREATE
02-01-2021, 11:43 PM
You would need something like KeyShot to do this.

RCS
03-14-2021, 01:02 AM
Really appreciate the great feedback! I'm watching the videos and taking some practice runs - will post some pictures of my project once I have something decent to show.

Thanks very much! --Rob