PDA

View Full Version : ??? Pitch Trim wiring, RV-8 Ray Allen Rocker Switch aft seat, stick forward

TOM.DK
12-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi guys/gals!
Testing my Electrical Trim components on the table before installation. Works fine untill connecting Forward Stick and attempting trimming with that trim switch. No matter what I try!
The diagrams on Ray Allens homepage are of little help as they mostly show a transfer relay. They list a telephone number for Support, no e-mail.
I will use no relay, but a 3-position, guarded switch (fwd/closed: fwd stick, mid: off, aft: passenger seat rocker sw). Who will finish my diagram below so that it will work??? Thank's in advance and Merry Christmas!
Sincerely Tom, RV-8-builder, Denmark.

Dana
12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Is it the single stick that you can't get to work or is it the transfer switch?

If the former, I assume that the servo is just a DC motor that you provide power to and reverse polarity to reverse the motion? If so, the rocker switch should be a DPDT switch with power to the center terminals and the outer terminals X'd.

The transfer switch needs to be a DPDT switch too. Wire the power and ground to the common terminals and use the other two pairs to supply power and ground to the individual pilot switches.

But why not a relay? This adds safety since the pilot will always have trim control without having to throw a switch (assuming the relay is wired the way I envision it).

TOM.DK
12-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Thank's for the response Dana!

It's just the fwd stick that will not run the trim. The supplied (sealed) rocker switch works fine. I tried hooking up the trim forward and trim aft off the fwd stick to the corresponding wires running from the rocker switch without effect. The stick ground was connected to the same ground as the rocker switch. +12v is fed to the rocker switch.

The transfer switch should be no problem.

I decided to have a manual switch close to the throttle to quickly stop a pitch trim run-away. By installing a 3-pos double-switch i could use the same switch to transfer trim control to the back-seat.

How would you hook-up on the diagram?

TOM.DK
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
You are so right Dana!
I of course need to install Ray Allens REL-2 (Relay) as the Stick Sw is just a single toggle sw. without the possibility to cross-over for reverse action!
Problem solved!
Thanks, and Merry Christmas All!
TOM