PDA

View Full Version : Solo Flying Minimum Age?

rangerofthewest
12-15-2011, 12:01 PM
I am 13 and have a passion for flying. I really like aviation, and would like to earn my private license. However, can I do my solo at 13? How old do you have to be to do your solo?

tonycondon
12-15-2011, 12:03 PM
14 in gliders, 16 in airplanes.

rangerofthewest
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM
That doesn't make sense, because a guy recieved both his Private and IFR on his 14th birthday! And the minimum age to get a license is 14, is it not?

rangerofthewest
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks, though, for your input

tonycondon
12-15-2011, 12:17 PM
minimum age to get your certificate is 16 in gliders, 17 in airplanes. don't believe me read the FARs

Jim Clark
12-15-2011, 02:37 PM
The "guy" you reference is fictional as you have to have 200 hours as a private pilot before you can be an instrument pilot. Here is the text from FAR 61.103 on basic requirements:
Sec. 61.103

Eligibility requirements: General.

To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:
(a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or balloon.
(b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.
(c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.
(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.
(e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part.
(f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
(1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.
(g) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought before applying for the practical test.
(h) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought.
(i) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.
[(j) Hold a U.S. student pilot certificate, sport pilot certificate, or recreational pilot certificate.]

Sec. 61.83

Eligibility requirements for student pilots.

To be eligible for a student pilot certificate, an applicant must:
(a) Be at least 16 years of age for other than the operation of a glider or balloon.
(b) Be at least 14 years of age for the operation of a glider or balloon.
(c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.

MickYoumans
12-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Even though you can't be a student pilot and solo until you are 16, there is nothing wrong with flying in the right seat and learning everything you can in the mean time.

Janet Davidson
12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Have been on the Young Eagles website or done a YE flight yet? If you do the flight, you can sign up for the Sportys ground school, which should keep you busy for a wee bit ;)

The person you refer to as having got their license at 14 years of age has all the makings of being a great pilot - the ability to BS & tell very tall stories ;)

Good luck with your passion.

rangerofthewest
12-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Janet. I appreciate all your guys help :D

Bob Meder
12-16-2011, 12:18 PM
The "guy" you reference is fictional as you have to have 200 hours as a private pilot before you can be an instrument pilot. Here is the text from FAR 61.103 on basic requirements:
Sec. 61.103

Eligibility requirements: General.

To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:
(a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or balloon.
(b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.
(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.
(e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part.
(f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
(1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.
(g) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought before applying for the practical test.
(h) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought.
(i) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.
[(j) Hold a U.S. student pilot certificate, sport pilot certificate, or recreational pilot certificate.]

Sec. 61.83

Eligibility requirements for student pilots.

To be eligible for a student pilot certificate, an applicant must:
(a) Be at least 16 years of age for other than the operation of a glider or balloon.
(b) Be at least 14 years of age for the operation of a glider or balloon.

Ummmm - where's it say you need 200 hours as a private pilot to get your instrument rating? I won't quote all of 61.65, but the only time requirement I see is the 50 hours cross country experience as pilot-in-command. Since solo time is accepted as PIC, it's theoretically possible for someone to get their private certificate on their 17th birthday, assuming they'd been signed off for all those solo flights, and turn right around on the same day and take the instrument practical to get their instrument rating. One DPE I spoke to said he'd enjoy that type of challenge.

Jim Clark
12-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Sorry, I confused myself and threw in commercial time on an instrument question. Regs state: Accumulate and log a specified amount of training and experience; the following are part of the airplane single-engine land class rating requirements:If training under Part 61, at least 250 hours of piloting time including 20 hours of training with an instructor and 10 hours of solo flight, and other requirements including several "cross-country" flights, i.e. more than 50 nautical miles (93*km) from the departure airport (which include Day VFR and Night VFR 100*nmi (190*km) between points, with a time of at least 2hrs; also one cross country which is done solo 250*nmi (460*km) one way, 300*nmi (560*km) total distance with landings at 3 airports) and both solo and instructor-accompanied night flightsIf training under Part 141, at least 190 hours of training time including 55 hours with an instructor and 10 hours of solo flight, and other requirements including several cross-country, solo, and night flights

rangerofthewest
12-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Guys, thanx. I appreciate all your help, this will aid me immensly in reaching my goals.

Bob Meder
12-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Sorry, I confused myself and threw in commercial time on an instrument question. Regs state: Accumulate and log a specified amount of training and experience; the following are part of the airplane single-engine land class rating requirements:If training under Part 61, at least 250 hours of piloting time including 20 hours of training with an instructor and 10 hours of solo flight, and other requirements including several "cross-country" flights, i.e. more than 50 nautical miles (93*km) from the departure airport (which include Day VFR and Night VFR 100*nmi (190*km) between points, with a time of at least 2hrs; also one cross country which is done solo 250*nmi (460*km) one way, 300*nmi (560*km) total distance with landings at 3 airports) and both solo and instructor-accompanied night flightsIf training under Part 141, at least 190 hours of training time including 55 hours with an instructor and 10 hours of solo flight, and other requirements including several cross-country, solo, and night flights

Rangerofthewest: you may as well get used to this mow if you want to be in aviation. This is what flight instructors and pilots love to do - discuss the regulations and their meaning all of the time.

Ok, for private pilot, paragraph 61.109 basically says that you need 40 hours of flight time, with 20 hours of training by an authorized instructor, 10 hours of solo, and ten hours of time that has never been defined. This includes 3 hours of cross-country training, 3 hours of night flying training, 100 nautical mile night flight training, 10 night takeoffs and landings to a full stop, 3 hours of instrument training, including recovery from unusual attitudes, and training in areas covered by 14CFR61.107(b)(1). The solo time must include a cross-country flight of at least 150NM, with landings at 3 airports and one leg at least 50nm distance. Also, the solo requires three takeoffs and landings at a towered airport.

Note that all of this is "at least". No good instructor will turn you loose for your practical test unless you're ready.

Sonex1517
12-17-2011, 04:20 PM
rangerofthewest - don't ever let go of that dream, and don't let ANYTHING keep you from pursuing it.

You cannot solo at 14, but there are so many ways to become involved in aviation, learn, and apply the knowledge to being a safe and competent pilot sooner than you would imagine. The EAA Young Eagles program is one way, but even signing up for a ground school class will help you learn about the steps involved and the knowledge you need. The Sporty's ground school online is one great tool for you.

If you have the desire to do this, and are willing to work hard to get there, you can and will achieve your goal.

Ernie
12-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Even though you can't be a student pilot and solo until you are 16, there is nothing wrong with flying in the right seat and learning everything you can in the mean time.

Ummm, I am a little confused. He can get dual in the left seat (or front in the case of my granddaughter flying a Citabria). How else would you solo at 16?

Bill Greenwood
12-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Ranger, if there are any glider operations or schools in your area ,please go see them. Take a parent if you can.
You can certainly take glider lessons at 13 and solo a glider at 14. It is not very hard, is a lot of fun, pretty safe, and a good basis to become a powered pilot later. The glider book learning and written test is much less than a powered license test.
I have to give a small warning, some glider operations focus more on doing rides than they do on giving instructions. Frankly, some of them aren't as friendly or as welcoming as they should be. But, so what don't let them discourage you. Just keep going.
While you can certainly take private lessons in a power plane at 13, you can't solo it for 3 more years. I'd do the glider first, then do the power thing after you are 15.
Good luck, and don't let anyone tell you that 16 is too young to be a pilot; I know a man who flew a number of airplanes solo on his 16th birthday, including T-6 and P-51.

wotai
12-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I also started my flight training at the age of 15. Completed all the requirements I could and at 16, touched up my training and at 17 I got my PPL.
It's great to start young.

scotron80
01-12-2012, 05:59 AM
i think flying is maybe the most amazing thing i ever did,

it's a feeling i can't explain, i think it's as free as i could ever feel :)

anyway, if you haven't been flying yet, i think it's a good time for you ;)

cheers !!

sam
-------------------------------
Comedy has to be based on truth. You take the truth and you put a little curlicue at the end.
Sid Caesar (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sidcaesar105961.html)

penthouse in Israel (http://www.gindi.com/index.aspx?id=4325)

Buzz
01-13-2012, 06:57 PM
If you have a passion for aviation and want to fly solo, look into learning to fly an ultralight airplane. No minimum age requirement to fly an ultralight. Wish they'd been around when I soloed at 16 and got my license when I turned 17. I would have gone that route first.

rosiejerryrosie
01-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Buzz, Not great advice for a youngster. For starters, there are no ultralight instructors anymore. The waiver for two place instructional ultralight vehicles disappeared with the advent of Light Sport Aircraft. In order to get instruction these days, it would have to be done in an LSA aircraft, and if the young man is to fly ultralights, it should be done in an "ultralight like" aircraft. I would not recommend to anyone that they just jump into an ultralight and fly just because no 'license' is required and not minimum age is published. There is no reason he should not begin instruction and gain experience while waiting until he is old enough to solo legally. A lot of flying can take place with an instructor in the right seat. I went through a very similar situation while waiting for Oklahoma City to approve my medical. I had completed all the requirements (except solo) for a checkride before I did my first solo. After the medical was approved, and I was allowed to legally solo, it was a piece of cake to complete the other requirements for certification. There are very few legal and safe shortcuts....

elbatsdap
01-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Glad to know that there is no minimum age required to fly solo.

Matt Gonitzke
01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Yes there is...you must be 16 to fly a powered airplane solo.

jedi
01-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Forget the right seat, move over to the left seat. This can be done with either another private pilot, sport pilot or cfi.

jedi
01-16-2012, 03:17 PM
If you have a passion for aviation and want to fly solo, look into learning to fly an ultralight airplane. No minimum age requirement to fly an ultralight. Wish they'd been around when I soloed at 16 and got my license when I turned 17. I would have gone that route first.

This is good advice but it is not intended to just go out and fly an ultralight without training. You can get dual in a part 23 or light sport aircraft then under the supervision of an instructor experianced in ultralights solo the ultralight. This can be done at any age. Ten and twelve year olds have flown ultralights solo safely. It is never to early to start learning. Do not overlook paragliders and WSC operations in addition to fixed wing or rotorcraft.

Buzz
01-18-2012, 05:14 PM
This is good advice but it is not intended to just go out and fly an ultralight without training. You can get dual in a part 23 or light sport aircraft then under the supervision of an instructor experianced in ultralights solo the ultralight. This can be done at any age. Ten and twelve year olds have flown ultralights solo safely. It is never to early to start learning. Do not overlook paragliders and WSC operations in addition to fixed wing or rotorcraft.

Yep, get instruction. If you want to be legally flying solo at 13, flying something under Part 103 is probably your best choice.

As for "solo", one can fly left seat on the Space Shuttle and they still won't view themselves as "a pilot". But they'll become an aviator in their soul when they take whatever the craft is around the pattern alone for the first time. Solo is THE "rite of passage" in aviation. I was lucky enough to do it at 16. I would have felt the same "rite of passage" if I had done it at 96.

jonesyflysmooney
01-26-2012, 10:14 AM
At my flight school,i can solo at 14, and im 13