PDA

View Full Version : Any Chapters Skipping Meetings & Breakfasts This Month?

PaulDow
03-12-2020, 09:05 PM
I was wondering if any chapter has skipped this month's meeting or event because of the famous germs? Since, like many chapters, several of our members are getting on in years, we thought it might be a good idea to play it safe and not hold this month's meeting and pancake breakfast.
I don't see many red dots around us on the John Hopkins map though, but I've seen other charts that show much lower infection rates when steps are taken to prevent infection early.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Eric Gleason
03-13-2020, 07:01 AM
My flying club is even cancelling our maintenance meeting next week, which is usually attended by about a dozen people.

Even if there's no one in your area who has it yet, the virus will spread to your area relatively soon. The goal is to keep it from spreading at a rate that overwhelms the ability of the health care system to treat patients. Unless there's a pressing need for your club to meet, it's better if you cancel.

Floatsflyer
03-13-2020, 07:45 AM
CANCEL EVERYTHING!!! Social distancing is the only way to mitigate the spread of this grim reality. Of paramount importance is protecting the health, safety and well being of your members and associates.

Thinking of your risk to exposure in terms of "red dots" or no "red nots" is a fools game.

Airmutt
03-13-2020, 08:40 AM
Yeah I see that EAA cancelled their Props & Hops event and suspend the Tri-Motor tour. And SNF is pressing on!?!? Don’t know about y’all but things are starting to escalate in the north Atlanta area. School systems are closing, panic shopping is wiping out stock, churches are cancelling services, and there was a fight at a Sams Club over a pack of water and a guy got stabbed with a wine bottle. There is even video of lines in grocery stores at one a.m. that are just huge.

My wife was gonna fly up to Appleton on Monday and decided to cancel. It took 2 hours plus on hold with Delta but they did refund her ticket, which took less than 5 minutes.

Eric Gleason
03-13-2020, 09:46 AM
I'd bet money that SnF cancels in a week or two. I think that, like a lot of us, they were hoping this thing wouldn't get so big, but now that it's a pandemic there's no way around it.

The Florida governor has asked people to cancel gatherings. I suspect that will become law soon, like it is in a lot of states already.

Disney and the other theme parks have announced they're closing. SnF will look like a bunch of asshats if they proceed.

rwanttaja
03-13-2020, 10:44 AM
I'd bet money that SnF cancels in a week or two. .

One source says it's been postponed until May.

https://www.lkldnow.com/coronavirus-local-groups-announce-precautions/

Ron Wanttaja

Floatsflyer
03-13-2020, 11:20 AM
If you went to the SNF website as of yesterday and clicked on their coronavirus update, you would have thought they were proceeding as if they were Emperor Nero fiddling as Rome burned to the ground.

I don't believe the May date is viable but good on them for making the right decision now and choosing health over money.

rwanttaja
03-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Seattle EAA meeting last night, about half the usual turnout.

Ron Wanttaja

Airmutt
03-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Floats not sure what info you’re looking at but the SNF homepage still says starting on March 31st.

PaulDow
03-13-2020, 12:41 PM
they put out a press release about an hour ago

FlyinAdamBadger
03-13-2020, 10:51 PM
The EAA Chapter 75 meeting scheduled for 7:00 P.M. on March 14, 2020 has been cancelled by EAA Chapter 75 President Jim Skadal due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Mayhemxpc
03-14-2020, 08:22 PM
Chapter 186 cancelled its Young Eagles Rally today. Probably a prudent decision. Thursday's VMC and IMC club meetings went on as scheduled.

rv8bldr
03-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Chapter 245 in Ottawa, ON cancelled for Thursday 19 Mar. The venue (Canadian Aviation and Space Museum) where we hold our meetings is closing until further notice so we didn't have to make the call on our own.

rwanttaja
03-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Washington State has banned assemblies of more than 50 people, but even smaller meetings have to comply with strict safety standards. Safe to say there won't be an EAA meeting in Seattle for two months. Fortunately, Arlington moved to late August from early July as of last year.

Ron Wanttaja

steve
03-17-2020, 07:21 PM
No meeting for Chapter 58 in Ogden UT this month. The scheduled speaker from the FAA cancelled earlier today. We have a YE event scheduled for 4/11 but I'll probably sit that one out, if it's not cancelled beforehand.

FlyinAdamBadger
03-18-2020, 06:50 AM
EAA Chapter 75 Events Are Temporarily Suspended Until Further Notice - March 17, 2020:

EAA Chapter 75 President Jim Skadal has temporarily suspended all EAA Chapter 75's functions (1500 Club, 1st Saturday Coffee & Donuts, IMC Club, Monthly Meetings and Young Eagles events) until further notice.

In this rapidly changing environment the safety of our members are our utmost importance and we are following all Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, EAA Headquarters, city/state officials, EAA Chapter 75 protocols and guidelines. We are temporary suspending all of our activities to mitigate the effects of the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and will restart it until the potential has subsided.

Resumption of this club will be notified by Jim Skadal, EAA Chapter 75 President.

melann
03-18-2020, 07:08 AM
Chapter 168, Dallas, cancelled general meeting, 04/07/20. BOD meeting to be "On-Line".

PaulDow
03-18-2020, 08:03 AM
Here at 1310 we’re looking at online meetings. We tried a Director meeting through Microsoft Teams. It took about 45 minutes to get everyone set up. It wants the application installed, and then is quite obnoxious by putting itself in a state that automatically starts whenever the computer starts. I think it would be difficult to get everyone connected for a general meeting. I think it does allow live video though, and is free for non-profits.

We also tried Zoom.us it has an application to install, but only the facilitator needs an account. The free version is limited to 40 minutes when there are 3 or more connected though. It’s $15/month to run a single meeting at a time that can be up to 24 hours. Live video hosting is extra. The meeting presenter can appear through a web cam, and it has a neat feature where you can use a green screen to add a photo background.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

WLIU
03-20-2020, 10:56 AM
Just did a Zoom meeting with some chapter members to try it out. It actually worked pretty well. Did a screen share of a Powerpoint presentation. Did a handoff of being the the presenter/host to another participant and then a handoff back. Where it and other similar software falls short is sharing videos. They get choppy.

Chapter members who use Zoom as university professors, business consultants, and medical trainers to host relatively large web meetings report preferring Zoom over the other similar programs, hence our trial run.

It helps to have a good headset and web camera.

Best of luck,

Wes

FlyinAdamBadger
03-27-2020, 10:19 AM
Our chapter, EAA Chapter 75 just did a test on Zoom.us last night, March 26th. We are going to use this Zoom Virtual Online Meeting to discuss the March 2020 (postponed Board of Directors Meeting / Cancelled Regular Meeting) & April 2020 Agenda Items in April. However, .the 40-minute time limit is in affect. If you do reach the 40-minute time limit, you can easily go back to that same session once everyone has exited it and start where you left off for an additional 40-minutes (keep repeating this step for however long it'll take you).

FlyinAdamBadger
04-12-2020, 02:25 AM
On April 11, 2020, EAA Chapter 75 conducted its first virtual meeting online as we continue to work hard during the Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak. The first meeting included 11 participants. We used Zoom Video Communications as our platform of choice.

WLIU
04-13-2020, 04:44 PM
IAC Chapter 35 did a Zoom meeting this past Saturday. To our surprise we had more members participate than we would get in a regular face-to-face meeting. Some of our friends who are quite distant video-ed in. We are thinking that when we go back to having face-to-face meetings we will do Zoom also so that our more remote members can participate. Quite the learning experience.

Regards,

Wes

martymayes
04-13-2020, 08:43 PM
That's a great idea ! ! ! Hope that catches on with other chapters!

Mayhemxpc
04-19-2020, 05:58 PM
Chapter 186 had a zoom Young Eagles meeting. We discussed the program with parents and kids and offered ideas on things to to, that can be done during the shut down. Ideas included putting together a airplane walk around, focused on The young eagles, working with the scouts for aviation merit badge (we have YE pilots who are BSA Aviation merit badge counselors), and for our YEs that have had their first flight, taking advantage of the EAA virtual flight academy and the Sporty's learn to fly course.

we will have a zoom chapter meeting on Saturday.

Scooper
04-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Chapter 124, Santa Rosa CA, cancelled the April dinner meeting. Nothing on the website (http://www.eaa124.org/) about the May meeting. I plan to stay away from group get-togethers where I'm unable to maintain at least 6 ft separation. One of my friends, a 72 year old retired Continental Airlines B777 captain, died in March after being hospitalized for two weeks, the last week in ICU and induced coma on a ventilator. He was the picture of good health.

Stay home and stay safe.