PDA

View Full Version : Help with identification of 2 cylinder engine and parts.

GJR
10-01-2019, 05:43 AM
Good morning, first post and thanks for having me. I would appreciate some help in identifying these found items. No name on the enging block. 2 Bendix Scintilla Magnitos US Navy markings type SF 2RN-6 s/n 162975 162977. The carb is a Stromberg Centura Model NA-H1E s/n 585-7934 all found in the same area. Also have 2 Hartzell aluminum propellers. I intend to sell them in the near future. They are in Connecticut and I have more pictures to share. Thank you.

FlyingRon
10-01-2019, 07:00 AM
SF2RN is a standard Bendix mag part number.
S=single mag
F=think this indicates the older heavy case
2=2 cylinders
R=Right Hand location
N=Scintilla design

GJR
10-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Thank you Ron. Anything to mention on the engine?

FlyingRon
10-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Nope, but given two cyls and the odd crank fitting, I'm guessing it's an APU part.

Airmutt
10-02-2019, 08:46 PM
It appears to be sitting upside down on the tailgate but I believe it to be a Lawrance. They were bought out by Wright. I’m totally guessing at the designation. Maybe the J-2?????? Guessing it was used as a power supply for an generator.

GJR
10-03-2019, 04:37 AM
Thank you David, do you believe the magnitio's and carb are part of this engine? Also any idea on value?

FlyingRon
10-03-2019, 06:11 AM
An SF2 mag fits with the two cylinder engine. Do you see mounting pads on the engine for them.

Airmutt
10-03-2019, 07:09 AM
You can find a pic of this unit on the powerofthepast.org website. There is a contact number but unsure if they still exist. Or you could try contacting someone at the Wright Pat or Pensacola air museums. Again just guessing but was probably used in a WWII or post war large military aircraft such as as a bomber or transport.

GJR
10-07-2019, 05:46 AM
Thank you Airmutt. I reached out to the suggested site.

FlyingRon
10-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Eh? Which of the Power of the Past pictures is supposed to match this. The Lawrance 2cyls come close but none of the ones pictured have the same kind of case.

Airmutt
10-08-2019, 08:12 AM
Did a little more digging based on the USN markings on the mags. Lawrance built a Model 30-D APU. There are some pics of it out on the web but they all have their cooling shrouds installed and are complete so the engine details are obscured. One source stated they were used in Mariners and Privateers. Again, the Pensacola Naval Air Museum might be the best source of info. Even found one for sale about 15 miles from my location. Current bid was $750 and that was for a complete but unrestored non-running unit.
So with that said, the GJR’s pics maybe the engine portion of one of these units. Haven’t a clue of its worth as a collectible.

FlyingRon
10-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Eh, what USN markings on the mags? The data plates and part numbers look to be standard (for the era) Bendix (commercial) parts. As I said, looks like Lawrance, but I don't see anything in google image search that has quite the same case as this one.

Dana
10-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Looks like it might have been built with repurposed cylinders from a radial engine?

Airmutt
10-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Well Lawrance was an aircraft engine manufacturer. Wright Aircraft acquired them in the early 20’s. Supposedly the Lawrance J-1 was the inspiration for the Wright Whirlwind. It makes sense that their APU engines reflects their roots.

GJR
10-13-2019, 04:28 AM
Thank you everyone. I would like to see someone get this at a fair price that would be appreciate it. Below is another response I received. It is located in Connecticut.

the engine you have is a Lawrance ground power unit or auxiliary
power unit. They were used in a few airplanes hooked to a generator for
auxiliary power. It puts out 14.5 horse power. All the parts are for the
engine.

GJR
10-27-2019, 07:59 AM
I advertised it for $400 as pictured if anyone is interested please PM me with a phone number to call you. Thank you. Again located in Connecticut 06483. Thanks to all who responded.

Thank you everyone. I would like to see someone get this at a fair price that would be appreciate it. Below is another response I received. It is located in Connecticut.

the engine you have is a Lawrance ground power unit or auxiliary
power unit. They were used in a few airplanes hooked to a generator for
auxiliary power. It puts out 14.5 horse power. All the parts are for the
engine.