PDA

View Full Version : Sport Pilot Training Near Sarnia?

Little Fox
02-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting in this thread, so hopefully I'm not asking something that you've all already seen.
Introduction: I live in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. I'm 30 years old and I want to learn to fly. Ive always been obsessed with airplanes. Specifically old warplanes. I had given up on the dream of flying until a few years ago when I found out I could build and own replica WW1 aircraft from kits (specifically Airdrome Aeroplanes) even my wife wants to get into that as well. Though she wants an Albatros.

My local flight school seems to only offer Private Pilots training and not Sport Pilot training.

I would rather take Sport training honestly, as I only plan on flying single or 2 seater aircraft for fun. It also seems to be far less expensive (Im sure some eyes are rolling) But the closest place I can find online seems to be 2.5 hours drive away in Brampton. It's quite the drive even once a week.

Does anyone know if there are other options for me? Private instructors? Smaller airports? I've seen other forums on here where flight instructors scoff at the idea of sports pilots. Do I have more options?

Tralika
02-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Have you spoken to the folks at your local flight school? They may not offer Sport Pilot training because the company does not own a plane the meets the sport pilot criteria. That doesn't mean they won't do the training. I'm not familiar with the regs in Canada but in the US any single engine airplane flight instructor is qualified to instruct for sport pilot. Flight schools don't like to turn down business so they may be able to work with you but finding someone that is willing to rent or lease a plane for the instruction. If not, they would be a good resource for information about other flight training opportunities in your area. If that doesn't work then it may take some more investigation on your part. Check with the businesses, especially mechanics, at your local airport and see if anyone flies an LSA out of there. Talk to them and see what they know. Don't forget to ask about local flying clubs. Good luck.

Floatsflyer
02-23-2019, 01:58 PM
My local flight school seems to only offer Private Pilots training and not Sport Pilot training.

I would rather take Sport training honestly, as I only plan on flying single or 2 seater aircraft for fun. It also seems to be far less expensive (Im sure some eyes are rolling) But the closest place I can find online seems to be 2.5 hours drive away in Brampton. It's quite the drive even once a week.

Does anyone know if there are other options for me? Private instructors? Smaller airports? I've seen other forums on here where flight instructors scoff at the idea of sports pilots. Do I have more options?

I'm a fellow Canadian from Toronto who's been flying for 45 years. Your local flight school near Sarnia doesn't offer Sport Pilot training because it DOES NOT EXIST as a program or licence/permit in Canada. Did they not tell you this? Very odd. It's strictly an American thing.

Here are your options: The closest Canadian programs to it are an Ultralight Pilot Permit(AULA-Advanced Ultralight Aircraft), a Gyroplane Pilot Permit, a Recreational Airplane Pilot Permit(sort of Private Pilot Licence light), a Glider Pilot Licence and a Balloon Pilot Licence.

My recommendation to you is to take the Recreational Airplane Pilot or Ultralight Pilot because they 're much cheaper and require far less hours to complete. Of course there are restrictions compared to a Private Pilot Licence.

Go back to the Sarnia flight school and talk to them about the Recreational. For Ultralight, google Ultralight Pilots Association of Canada(UPAC) for a listing of flight schools that might be near you.

One more thing. Don't rely on this EAA Forum for Canadian oriented or relevant info, you'll just be completely misguided(through no fault of EAA) into thinking for whatever reason that what is done in US general aviation is the same as Canada. Nothing could be further from the truth. As a newbe go to the Recreational Aircraft Association of Canada site.