PDA

View Full Version : What GPS are you guys flying?

MickYoumans
11-25-2011, 12:34 PM
What GPS, if any, is everybody flying these days? I thought if we used a thread to share our experience with our GPS’s it might help others that are in the market. Unfortunately the poll option is limited to 10 items. I tried to populate the list with the GPS’s that I thought would be the most widely used for ‘Experimental’ or small private planes.

In the past few years I have evolved from running PC Avionics “Mountain Scope” on a NetBook, then to “ForeFlight” on an iPad. After my “ForeFlight” subscription ran out, I swapped to "Wing-X" because I thought if offered far more options for the money. I like all three of these GPS programs and they all do a great job. I still keep my NetBook with “Mountain Scope” in my plane as a backup. So far the iPad has been awesome. There is no boot-up time like I experience with the NetBook. Just hit the button and it is on and ready to go. I have the iPad mounted in my Cherokee on a RAM yoke mount which is so much better than having the NetBook in my lap or passenger seat. I think the iPad running Wing-X has got to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck GPS options out there considering all that it will do. Since my plane has a ceiling shading the iPad, I haven’t had the problems seeing the screen that some people with bubble canopies experience.

So what GPS are you guys flying and how do you like it?

Frank Giger
11-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm opting for the solar powered wireless single scale collapseable graphical representation of the Earth as viewed from above navigational assistance device.

It's kind of expensive with each (roughly) semi-annual update costing about ten bucks, but replacements should I lose the aid are freely available and cost the same as the updates.

Nearest airport, frequencies, land marks and other features are easy to access on it, and when used with built in onboard instrumentation that every aircraft from pre-war Cubs to a Gulfstream V even the largest cross-country trip can be made accurately.

Cons include the lack of a dedicated manual (the quick guide attached is more of just a legend of symbols and their meanings) and a moderate learning curve in getting proficient at it.

turbo
11-25-2011, 05:53 PM
250/430/496, im gps'd out. 1167

steve
11-26-2011, 08:01 PM

My AnywhereMap ATC - working fine since OSH 2008.

Mike M
11-27-2011, 12:27 AM
It's kind of expensive with each (roughly) semi-annual update costing about ten bucks, but replacements should I lose the aid are freely available and cost the same as the updates.

Alabama quit giving out free charts?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q="alabama dot" "aeronautical chart"&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.archives.state.al.us%2Foffici als%2Frdas%2Fdot.pdf&ei=0dfRTpbaBoLBtgfbi92rDQ&usg=AFQjCNFAA0OV22ZlbEBM5yryUziPjkI5gg&cad=rja

Frank Giger
11-27-2011, 12:56 AM
I'll have to check that out!

Anybody using the iFly? I like the idea of a GPS that uses the backdrop of a sectional...

rwanttaja
11-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Garmin GPS 12XL. It's a hiking GPS, dating from about ten years ago. The internal memory battery is pretty week, but I still use the unit.

mdharfst
11-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, I'm using the iFly.
I have an older Lowrance 2000c wired up to my Trio wingleveler/autopilot.
Given their exit from the market several years ago I wanted a backup that could take over for it eventually.
I have them both positioned next to each other at the left edge of the panel on mounts.
I haven't wired the iFly to the wingleveler yet, I'm still testdriving it.
I like the amount of information and the intuitive menu and the touchscreen.
I fly in a highwing with a shaded cabin, however the screen glare makes it almost unusable at times.
By contrast the Lowrance is readable at all times.
I had to learn to never wear light colored shirts, only blue or black to hold the glare down.
I added a glareshield to the gps too.
I flew from Portland to Reno for the Air races in September.
The unit performed well and having the firefighting TFR's right on the screen was great.
After my one year chart subscription is up I'll reassess and might put it on Ebay.
mdharfst

danielfindling
11-27-2011, 03:37 PM
My plane is equipped with a GNS 250XL however, I am a big Foreflight fan. Great Ipad app!

flyingriki
11-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Just the one:
With a 600C in the back seat.

Frank Giger
11-28-2011, 05:11 AM
Yes, I'm using the iFly.
I have an older Lowrance 2000c wired up to my Trio wingleveler/autopilot.
Given their exit from the market several years ago I wanted a backup that could take over for it eventually.
I have them both positioned next to each other at the left edge of the panel on mounts.
I haven't wired the iFly to the wingleveler yet, I'm still testdriving it.
I like the amount of information and the intuitive menu and the touchscreen.
I fly in a highwing with a shaded cabin, however the screen glare makes it almost unusable at times.
By contrast the Lowrance is readable at all times.
I had to learn to never wear light colored shirts, only blue or black to hold the glare down.
I added a glareshield to the gps too.
I flew from Portland to Reno for the Air races in September.
The unit performed well and having the firefighting TFR's right on the screen was great.
After my one year chart subscription is up I'll reassess and might put it on Ebay.
mdharfst

Thanks!

Let me know when you put it up for sale!

I was thinking of grabbing one for those "oh crap" moments. I fly so slow that I find it difficult to get truly lost - but when I do it's a looonnnnggg time to fly to the nearest landmark to validate position.

Joe LaMantia
11-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Nice Topic!
My primary navigation tool is the same one Frank uses and is totally reliable for day VFR, it can be used at night but requires a flashlight. We have an older "Flybuddy II" panel mounted GPS unit in the club Archer. The TriPacer has a tiny "Garmin Pilot" handheld that sits on a bracket on top of the instrument panel. I can't read the little screen it's too small and too far away from my reach, plus it gets a lot of sun light. Both of these aircraft have VOR Nav radio units, the Archer has an ADF and is certified for IFR. I was trained to use everything available when flying cross-country, plan with sectionals, list out all the VOR's on route and dial them up as I fly. Yes, I do fly "direct" with the Archer's GPS it's very useful but I'm not totally dependent on it. I mostly fly "low and slow" within a 100 miles of home so I navigate by looking out the window. Someday I will buy an IPad since it has so many neat functions and I will be sure an get the Aviation Apps this will make a really nice backup!

Joe
:cool:

Treetop_Flyer
11-28-2011, 11:28 AM
We should really have this poll allowing multiple selections as it seems many of us use a number of different GPS units. I'm using a GNS-430 and GNC-300 in my PA-22, but I also bring Foreflight on the iPad with and my wife usually uses that as a back-up and to quickly get me frequencies, obstacle clearance, etc.

flyingriki
11-28-2011, 08:50 PM
We should really have this poll allowing multiple selections as it seems many of us use a number of different GPS units. I'm using a GNS-430 and GNC-300 in my PA-22, but I also bring Foreflight on the iPad with and my wife usually uses that as a back-up and to quickly get me frequencies, obstacle clearance, etc.

Never envisioned myself saying this to a guy, but.....nice rack!

Treetop_Flyer
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Never envisioned myself saying this to a guy, but.....nice rack!

Thanks! Technically, it's 50% my wife's (Wisconsin is a marital property state). So I'll tell her you said she has a nice rack. ;) I'm a pretty lucky guy to have that capability in a PA-22.

Joe LaMantia
11-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Hey Dave!,
That GNS 430 is a sweet unit to have in any airplane and really rare in a TriPacer. I used to rent a 172N with two 430's and a nice autopilot that made cross-country flying really comfortable. Do you have an autopilot to couple that 430 to in your TriPacer?

Joe
:cool:

Treetop_Flyer
11-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey Dave! Do you have an autopilot to couple that 430 to in your TriPacer?

Funny you should ask Joe. ;) I actually do have a Brittain AccuTrak II and AccuFlite II. The AccuFlite is a combination Wing Leveler and Heading Hold. The Accutrak will track whatever is being displayed on the MD200-306 CDI that is coupled to the GNS-430. So with the AccuTrack, I have the option of either tracking a GPS course or a signal off of a VOR. In theory it will track horizontal on an ILS but the Brittain unit isn't approved for approach...but in an emergency...ya know.

I have had zero problems with the Brittain unit and the company is still in business down in Tulsa doing installations and repairs. They are VERY helpful and easy to work with. In talking with them last year, they indicated they were working to get approvals to produce new systems (right now most stuff is either NOS or rebuilt and yellow-tagged). The good news is that this system is about as cheap as you can get for a certified aircraft and there isn't much that can go wrong with it. About the only downside is that if you lose the vacuum system, you lose the autopilot as well since the servos are vacuum driven. I do have a stand-by vacuum system as well, but I don't think it would drive both the instruments and the autopilot.

I use the autopilot often on cross-country flights and it's nice to have. Once I get her level and trimmed at altitude I engage the Brittain and relax. :P

malexander
11-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Heck, I'm stilll using my old Garmin 295. Always gotten me where I wanted to go.......Besides, I'm cheap.

Marshall Alexander

gjennings
11-29-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm using the Garmin 296 and have no reason to change......

mrreddick
11-30-2011, 07:25 AM
I've made several cross country trips using the iPad 1 running Wing X Pro 7. Absolutely beats anything I've ever used before and I've had several
from Garmin and Lowrance over the years. Charge me more for echarts, so what! For $99 a year I can get synthetic vision. Sure wish that
Turbo Commander in Arizona had been using synthetic vision, 6 souls would be alive today! May they rest in peace!

flywithpat
11-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Garmin 96C works for me. Screen is kind of small but for simple direct to flying it works. Also it makes a great backup because it runs on regular AA batteries I can just keep in my flight bag.

MickYoumans
12-19-2011, 08:13 PM
iPad with Wing-X

n1acguy
01-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Using an ifly 700 and a Lowrance 2000C. Can't update the Lowrance anymore.

AcezHi
01-03-2012, 06:35 AM
I use a Motorola Xoom with Naviator.
I can get about 9 hours of battery life from it which is more than any of my typical flying.
I also use Naviator on my Galaxy Nexus.

I have had great support and it works great in the cockpit.

Max Torque
01-04-2012, 03:38 AM
iPad with ForeFlight! I use a RAM mount. Don't know first-hand how it compares to Wing-X but they seem very similar.

The iPad is a great way to go for VFR these days. Plus, it has uses other than for flying.

I left my iPad mounted on the yoke in the hot Arizona sun in the middle of summer once. It wouldn't come on line - kept coming up with a temperature warning, then shutting off. Went to remove it from the mount and it was way too hot to hold! Took it awhile to cool down, but it still works fine many months later.

Couple of buddies of mine who fly about 50 hours/month each use the same combo and love it. They use theirs at 10,000' - 15,000' fairly regularly and haven't had any problems. They recommend a wireless GPS antenna stuck on top of the instrument panel to prevent loss of signal. I've never had singal loss when mounted on the yoke or upper panel, but if the iPad is mounted below the instrument panel it happens on occasion.

Bill Campbell
01-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Since it appears my dinosaur equipment isn't mentioned by anyone else, I will plug my KLN-90B, a nice old monochrome system. Has taken my wife and I from OKC to Los Angeles and back.

Eric Marsh
01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I rolled my own.