PDA

View Full Version : Using solidworks to verify wing egress from basement

wmax351
10-17-2018, 08:31 AM
I've got a basement i'm planning to turn into a workshop for a fly baby. I do want to confirm that I will be able to remove the plane without needing to build egress windows through the foundation.

The basement has a staircase in the middle, dividing between a finished and unfinished half.

There are non-bearing walls on the side of the staircase, which I plan to knock down one or both as needed when the wings are complete. If needed, I can remove the stairs as well.

I'd build a mockup, but then I'd need to knock down the walls, and put them back up, to knock them down again.

So I build a mock up in solidworks. https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4agHH7T0TFiPIn4MIuLGiXCG9kRQ

The model has a rough version of the wing, and the basement set up with the walls removed. Once its through the stairs, it's a straight shot.

Anyone want to give it a go? I never got good at the motion control features.

cwilliamrose
10-17-2018, 08:53 AM
I'd give it a shot but I don't have 2018 installed.

wmax351
10-17-2018, 10:06 AM
I updated the file with an e-drawings file as well. Might be a touch more compatible.

cwilliamrose
10-17-2018, 03:20 PM
I installed 2018 today.

It's close according to your models. If they're accurate you should be OK but barely so. There will be a point where the walls and the stairwell will be just about touching the wing in three places. I did the test backwards because it seemed easier starting with the wing in the stairwell and going down. I didn't try it the other way around -- with the root up and the tip down but I doubt that's the best way.

I had a heck of a time at first because the origin of the wing assembly model was way off the part and doing any rotations will default to the origin as the rotational center. I put the wing assembly into another assembly and put that origin around the center of the wing parts and it was then possible to control the model.

I did some screen shots.

rwanttaja
10-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Leaving the aileron off should give you some more room.
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/wing.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

wmax351
10-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Thanks! I'll play with it too later on, with a better wing model. That one was just thrown together with some dwg's for the ribs with offsets for the rib caps. I'll go measure some of the critical areas a little more carefully to be sure.

wmax351
10-17-2018, 04:00 PM
Leaving the aileron off should give you some more room.
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/wing.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Good point! I'll include that on my more polished model.

cwilliamrose
10-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Good point Ron, that will probably take the sweat out of it...

pylon500
10-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Was just thinking, if you wanted to be a little 'experimental', maybe a little mod to include flaps on your wings?
I know, not really needed, but...
But I think you better model your fuse as well, 'cause I think it's longer than the wingpanels?

Jeffrey Meyer
10-18-2018, 09:53 PM
I also don't have 2018 - could you post a STEP file of the assembly?

wmax351
10-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Was just thinking, if you wanted to be a little 'experimental', maybe a little mod to include flaps on your wings?
I know, not really needed, but...
But I think you better model your fuse as well, 'cause I think it's longer than the wingpanels?

Wonder if anyone has done that before.

I'm planning to get the whole thing modeled in solidworks. But the fuselage should be easier to fit, as it's only slightly longer, and one end is narrow.

rwanttaja
10-19-2018, 09:39 AM

Not really a trivial task. A second false spar box (similar to that of the aileron) would be needed, and since the flap would probably have more travel than the aileron, it would probably have to be more beefy. Plus you'd need the linkages and controls to MOVE the flaps, and appropriate designing to minimize the potential for a split-flap condition.

If one were serious about minimizing the chord to support transportation through a restricted stairway, I just wouldn't glue the inner ribs in place. End with the rib on the outer side of the aileron notch. Fit-check the other ribs, but don't glue them together or to the wing. With the outer ribs in place, you can lay out and carve the wingtip bows.

Then haul the wing upstairs up to the garage, attach the rest of the ribs, and finish the aileron false spar.

Ron Wanttaja