PDA

View Full Version : Young eagles activites AFTER the first flight

JBuchold
09-02-2018, 11:04 AM
I am a new Treasurer of Chapter 1361 in Reno, NV.
I am unfamiliar with standard, or tried and true, practices in the care and feeding of young eagles, after their first flight.
What are the best ways of keeping them engaged, and keeping our chapter on an upward path to greater participation in YE development ?
Your thoughts are requested......

Thanks......jack

Mike B
09-03-2018, 04:38 AM
I am a new Treasurer of Chapter 1361 in Reno, NV.
I am unfamiliar with standard, or tried and true, practices in the care and feeding of young eagles, after their first flight.
What are the best ways of keeping them engaged, and keeping our chapter on an upward path to greater participation in YE development ?
Your thoughts are requested......

Thanks......jack

About 14 years ago when my son went on a YE flight and got lucky he had a 2 seat aircraft (forget what it was) wound up the pilot let him fly the entire flight except for take-off and landing. The pilot did pull me and my wife aside and told us our son was a natural. That flight led him to getting his pilots license before his drivers license. Today, he's building a RV-7.. I imagine that the YE's that got loaded into the back seat of a 172 didn't get to experience flying and wound up going on a sight-seeing flight.

As far as activities for before/after the flight, maybe have an aircraft or two that they can sit in and examine, show their parents what they experienced. Maybe some videos of aircraft playing something to spark their imagination? Nothing serious, but maybe bush planes, stol aircraft, crop dusters doing their things.

Food wise, I imagine the smells of good hamburgers/hotdogs grilling would entice them to hang around. Of course an ice cream cone for desert would go a long way. I don't remember what our local chapter did.