PDA

View Full Version : solidworks 2018 updating from 2017 questions

Tomj
07-01-2018, 04:08 PM
I have 2017 installed on my PC, along with templates and models I have made with it. I see there is a download link and a renew link for the EAA maker edition of solidowrks 2018 here:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/solidworks-student-design-kit

and it looks like I'm supposed to uninstall 2017 before installing 2018. I'm confused...
does the renew link work without uninstalling anything and update my 2017 installation to 2018?
or do I really need to uninstall 2017 first, and if so why is there an install and a renew link?

Also if I do need to uninstall, what happens to my templates and existing models? (of course they would be backed up, but it would be good to know if they would be left in place)

Also I have hsmworks (hsmexpress)cam module installed. If the SW2018 has integrated cam is that going to cause an issue with the update?

Please clarify if possible.
thanks

IdefixRC
07-03-2018, 06:15 AM
before you uninstall anything, make sure you are able to download 2018 first.
At least for me, it is not possible till now to download the new version (still get the old form and no email with the details).

Cory Puuri
07-03-2018, 08:47 AM
before you uninstall anything, make sure you are able to download 2018 first.
At least for me, it is not possible till now to download the new version (still get the old form and no email with the details).

Regarding uninstalling, Dassault Sytemes recommends that you uninstall 2017 first. I was able to install 2018 alongside 2017 on a computer, but it asks you questions about updating numerous files and it says that you could have issues if you don't uninstall the old version. All of your old SW files should open in 2018, and they will not be removed unless you remove them.

Regarding the "old form" on our site, email me (cpuuri@eaa.org) if it doesn't send you the download instructions.

Tomj
07-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Will do. How about hsmexpress? I do know that is supposed to be installed after a solidworks install; should I remove that before the 2018 install, after, or leave it alone? Also will hsmexpress still be usable even though SW 2018 has integrated CAM or not? I'm not wedded to hsmexpress but it does have my tool library data which I would need to now enter into SW (and then learn how to use!)
Thanks
t