PDA

View Full Version : Sport aviation in Kenya?

cluttonfred
11-18-2011, 06:35 PM
There is a good chance that my family and I will be moving to Nairobi, Kenya this summer for a couple of years. What can anyone tell me about sport and general aviation in Kenya, from spam cans to antiques, homebuilts to microlights? Any EAA members here from Nairobi?

steveinindy
11-18-2011, 09:58 PM
I believe they still abide by the ICAO rules which would most likely require a full pilot's license. I base this on what I was told when I posed a similar question to the EAA headquarters earlier this year (about sport aviation and experimental operations). The answer I got was "You pretty much would need to talk to the respective country's aviation authority". The website for the Kenyan Civil Aviation Authority is http://www.kcaa.or.ke/ That's your best bet since you're not going to want to rely on hearsay from a forum when it's usually pretty easy to get the information directly from the people who actually set the standards.

Janet Davidson
11-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Matthew,

You might want to try posting your question on the African section of Pprune - http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation-37/

I was in Nairobi, looking at job options, but that was nearly 20 years ago, so very little of what I learnt then would be relevant now.

Good luck. It is a beautiful country.

chapmanb
11-23-2011, 11:04 PM
A japanese friend of mine lived in Kenya for 25 years. He only returned to Japan a few years ago.

While he was there he learned to fly ultra lights with no license requirements. It seems like there wasn't any problems renting or flying.

He has expressed an interest in getting a pilots license here in the states so he could fly larger aircraft in Kenya. He is planning on going back to Kenya sometime in the future.

There is a good chance that my family and I will be moving to Nairobi, Kenya this summer for a couple of years. What can anyone tell me about sport and general aviation in Kenya, from spam cans to antiques, homebuilts to microlights? Any EAA members here from Nairobi?