PDA

View Full Version : Need a constant speed prop

JPCrew
04-06-2018, 11:33 AM
I am in need of a new or low time Hartzell Prop model PROP C2YL-1BF/F7663-4. The prop is going on an I0-320 Lycoming.
Van's RV sell them new for $7,900.00 but only to Van builders. A low time used one will work just fine.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. A new prop direct from Hartzell is $13,000. Whirlwinds price is similar.
Thanks in advance for you help.

JP

gbrasch
04-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Are you stuck on that idea? Catto makes a beautiful prop.

JPCrew
04-08-2018, 07:35 AM
Glenn,

Thank you for the suggestion. Their web site does not provide much product information but I did ask for a quote. I will soon need to do a weight and balance to see if I can use a carbon fiber prop. Addressing CG concerns is a real issue as the plane has a pertinacity to be tail heavy and a 51 pound Hartzell prop would take care of that issue but so would a larger batter in the engine compartment.

I appreciate the reply, Thanks again.

gbrasch
04-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Glenn,

Thank you for the suggestion. Their web site does not provide much product information but I did ask for a quote. I will soon need to do a weight and balance to see if I can use a carbon fiber prop. Addressing CG concerns is a real issue as the plane has a pertinacity to be tail heavy and a 51 pound Hartzell prop would take care of that issue but so would a larger batter in the engine compartment.

I appreciate the reply, Thanks again.

Your welcome!

JPCrew
04-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Glenn,

Just spoke to the Catto prop folks. They make a very nice prop but do not have a constant speed prop quite yet. They have one in development and are looking at a price close to that of a Hartzell and a Whirlwind, ($13,000.00). Thanks again for the suggestion and I thought I would just pass that info along to you. Have a great week,

JP

BoKu
04-09-2018, 05:07 PM
...Van's RV sell them new for $7,900.00 but only to Van builders...

How much is an RV tail kit?

JPCrew
04-09-2018, 06:43 PM
BoKu,

That's a good question. I had thought about asking a RV builder who has used a fixed pitch prop to buy 1 for me and I would reimburse them. I have bought a lot of items from Vans but they don't want to budge on their policy. I'm about 6 months away from completion. Many items on my bird are similar to the RV 7. I have a Smyth Sidewinder over 90% complete. I had a build in progress when my son found a plane which was complete. The builder did exceptional work and took the extra mile on everything he did. He passed and left the plane to a friend who stripped it and sold it to us for much less than we could have finished our built. I have spent the last 3 years building an engine and re-engineering a few necessary items. Much of the RV is like the Sidewinder with exception the fuselage is 4130 steel and the wing as a progressive airfoil. The wing span and fuselage length are about the same. The plane is less forgiving but the trade off is the performance. I find most RV builder do not have good things to say about the Sidewinder. They love their RV and the RV is a good plane. They both have their pros and cons. Like the prop, it takes the same model and diameter for either the O-320 or O-360 engine.

Good hearing from you,

JP