PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt Camping Facilities

flyingriki
11-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I didn't read all 76 posts in 'good and bad 2011' but wonder if there are any plans to improve the facilities for the homebuilt camping area. Seems there are a couple buildings nearby so utilities are not far away. After many, many years you would think that EAA would have done more for those who were the original source of the organization.... just a thought.

Chad Jensen
11-17-2011, 03:05 PM
We had an all-day site planning meeting a few weeks ago that went over the long-term plan for he Homebuilt and HBC area, so to answer your main question, yes. It's not all going to happen quickly, but the idea is to revamp the Homebuilt and HBC area over the next few years.

It's not that EAA has forgotten about this area, it's just grown so quickly that keeping up and planning (budgetary as well) has been a challenge. The group that makes up the committee, of which I am a part of, has some fantastic ideas for future growth, and as long as we can secure the funding, the Homebuilt area will be a very nice place to spend your time at AirVenture. We are very much looking forward to it!

Kevin O'Halloran
11-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Chad
I've been pushing this for years--a big help to the home builders camping area ( in fact all camping areas)
put in some self storage units behind the storage building off Knapp road ( right across from the forum buildings)

they would be on a 1 year lease
It would give guys extra room in their airplanes to bring a passenger ( more people would mean more $$ for EAA)
People would come back every year because they have their camping gear at Oshkosh
They could have things like cots,chairs, ice chests, etc stored there to make camping more enjoyable
Would make it safer for pilots because they would not "overload" their airplanes ( you guys know you do it)
Ask anyone who owns some self storage units--they cash flow in a couple of years and then become a "cash cow"--that money could be used to improve the camping area (showers/bathrooms, etc)
they could be small- ( 4X4)--that would still be room for 2 or 3 guys to share one.
If you started out with 25---there will be a huge waiting list !!!!

other areas I have noticed would be good locations---just to the south of the emergency airplane repair building ( would cover the vintage camping areas and the south 40)
Just to the east of the Camper registration building on the north 40. ( would cover the north 40 and some of the warbird guys
Kevin O'Halloran

flyingriki
11-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Chad
I've been pushing this for years--a big help to the home builders camping area ( in fact all camping areas)
put in some self storage units...

SMOKIN' idea Kevin.

Thanks for the update Chad.

Kyle Boatright
11-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Chad,

The Vintage folks have a FORB donation program which helps fund some (all?) of the upgrades in the Vintage area. Is something like that coming down the pike for us experimental types? My guess is that there are quite a few people who would contribute $$ if it could be earmarked for specific upgrades.

Is the EAA planning to reveal the master plan for the HB area? If so, when?

Chad Jensen
11-18-2011, 09:42 AM
I know we have submitted requests to the Buehler Trust recently for upgrades to the Homebuilt area. I honestly don't know where that stands at this point, but the vision for the area is very nice looking.

I will ask to see what the schedule is for revealing the master plan for the HB area. If I can provide it on the forums, I certainly will.

steve
11-27-2011, 07:54 PM
The #1 item on everyone's list for HBC improvements should be a new shower house like the one built in the N40 in 2010.