PDA

View Full Version : I'm too heavy to become a Sport Pilot- RATZ!

CHICAGORANDY
08-25-2017, 01:47 PM
I dropped by a flight school in Bolingbrook, IL this afternoon while on an otherwise lovely motorcycle ride and was informed that at 260# my 68 yr old carcass is simply too big to get training for Sport Pilot.

Needless to say that news did two things - #1 - it dashed all my dreams of flight on the rocks of larded reality; and B. It will have to maybe serve as some form of motivation get back on a grueling diet and exercise regimen. That way maybe in a year or two I can try again if I haven't croaked in the interim. It figures - I had just calculated out how to afford all the training as a Christmas present to myself.

Oh well - at least I still have Flight Sim X - Steam Edition.

DaleB
08-25-2017, 03:41 PM
I dropped by a flight school in Bolingbrook, IL this afternoon while on an otherwise lovely motorcycle ride and was informed that at 260# my 68 yr old carcass is simply too big to get training for Sport Pilot.
Either they have undersized/underpowered airplanes, or they have large instructors. I outweigh you and have no trouble in the RV-12, even with a 200# pax and a couple hours worth of fuel (plus reserve).

CHICAGORANDY
08-25-2017, 04:58 PM
I guess I need to do some due diligence and investigate a few other training facilities.

JimRice85
08-25-2017, 08:28 PM
I was 264# back in April. I was still actively flying my J3 and RV-4 without issue, even with 170# passengers. I am now 202. I can just carry more gas...and take up my seat belts now. Low carb and exercise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill Berson
08-28-2017, 09:43 PM
The McDougal diet (lifestyle) isn't grueling and may not require exercise.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/

jedi
08-31-2017, 01:15 PM
The McDougal diet (lifestyle) isn't grueling and may not require exercise.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/

You might contact the FAA about an "Americans With Disabilities" solution for a weight waiver.

tspear
08-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Good luck. Ten years ago I was 290. Down to 230 now, looking to hit 200 in five more years (I hope)

Tim