PDA

View Full Version : How hard Is it to get job after A & P class?

Mallory
06-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Im taking the A & P class, with Avionics and structural, at PCC in July. A friend said I would not get work when I got out, without 2 years experience! Yet my teacher said he has seen 100% employment! Who's Right?

I don't wanna take the class and get Stuck in the : "no experience/no job" rut like I did with electronics, that's one reason Im taking it! (Big reason, I luv planes and fixing motors. I need a change,) Im too old to join the air force. I don't wanna do this just to have to retire and rust away...

I don't wanna post his on Y/A , as I get a lot of Unintelligent answers with no references/experiences.

martymayes
06-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Im taking the A & P class, with Avionics and structural, at PCC in July. A friend said I would not get work when I got out, without 2 years experience! Yet my teacher said he has seen 100% employment! Who's Right?

I think 100% placement within a month of graduation is accurate, for someone with avionics training it will likely be 100% placement within 5 min. after graduation. The demand is so high right now due to the ADS-B deadline approaching. You can pick up the phone and almost any avionics shop will be hiring. When I was at an IA recurrent course a few months ago, a guy that owned an avionics shop was doing the ADS-B sessions and said he would talk to anyone present that was interested in a job.

When I was in A&P school, some guys from Disney theme park came in looking to hire A&P's to work in amusement parks and maintain rides. They sought out A&P's because of their training in electrical, hydraulics, structures, welding, etc. Same for companies like Schlumberger.

Mallory
06-27-2017, 01:00 PM
I only want to fix engines, not Av or work for Disney.

This same guy said that Id have to work at a hub, no just any airport or a G/A airstrip, like id like to. Whos right?

Mallory
06-27-2017, 01:07 PM
I don't wanna concentrate on AV, I wanna fix engines. Not work for Disney. either.

The same guy said I had to work at a hub, I couldnt work at "just any" airport or G/QA airstrip. like I wanted (I only need $15/hr, I just want a job I know I'll love and will be there, tomorrow.)

who is right?

ay" ar

ipor or a G/Airstrip

arr or G/strp, lk I' ante(Idteeovr $ an hor, wnt ottlb tre,omora do wh love, strilikeIaned I d needover 1/hor.WhiRgh

Mallory
06-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Sorry my puter glitched.

FlyingDa
06-29-2017, 11:44 PM
My friend get a job before he finished his course. I meant he signed the contract about job before he was out of school. There is always lots of jobs around and I have to agree with your teacher. Why you should listen to your friend? because he is you friend? what does he knows about planes and that kind of job?

Mike M
06-30-2017, 05:47 AM
...I get a lot of Unintelligent answers with no references/experiences.

I'm retired, never worked as an A&P, and still get cards in the mail with promises to favorably consider my application for wrenching jobs with commuter airlines and commercial drone operators. Your mileage may vary.

Mallory
07-08-2017, 07:43 AM
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20170627183159AAOExmx

(https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20170627183159AAOExmx)I posted on Y/A I got several very good answers!

One said he sent out 100 resumes, but got work. Retired after 30 rears

Class starts Tomorrow (7-19) . I'll wear my P-38 "Lightning " shirt.Wish me luck!?

jedi
07-10-2017, 12:35 PM
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20170627183159AAOExmx

(https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20170627183159AAOExmx)I posted on Y/A I got several very good answers!

One said he sent out 100 resumes, but got work. Retired after 30 rears

Class starts Tomorrow (7-19) . I'll wear my P-38 "Lightning " shirt.Wish me luck!?

Start applying now! Bet you will be hired before you are out of class. Location will likely be a problem though. If you need to stay in your area options are limited. That is why you need to give advanced notice. You don't want to graduate and be told "we just hired two guys last week".

Mallory
07-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Thanks. Jedi

abcher constantly alks of Bonmbaderer, S air. M<esa, etxc, but disses ob. I gues I don't wanr t o weork ther.
No anyplace thaty hasm swweepuighages and hanging loo iltersa a io ngh sfghf two tysr.I donm reallyned the job, xcan retire. I

Mallory
07-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Sorry computer glitches a Lot on this forum.

My teacher talks a lot of jobs at Bombardeer, Mesa , SW Air, but then mentions how Slipshod Bomb is..I don't wanna work there.

I can always retire in two years, I don't need the work. He also sez Id be working graveyard, and sweeping hangers/changing loo filters for2 years before I Touch an engine. S*** That! .

Getting discouraged..maybee my 5 year pipe dream was just so much smoke? I already paid back part of my Pell Grant.

martymayes
07-13-2017, 07:47 AM
Maybe you need to expand your market of opportunities......pretty sure you could go somewhere like Oscoda Mi and get a job in Kalitta's engine shop. If that's what you want to do.

malexander
08-07-2017, 06:36 PM
My son-in-law had a job at Tinker AFB before he graduated A&P school. Started out as an internship.

ikelee
08-16-2017, 01:16 PM

I don't wanna take the class and get Stuck in the : "no experience/no job" rut like I did with electronics, that's one reason Im taking it! (Big reason, I luv planes and fixing motors. I need a change,) I'm too old to join the air force. I don't wanna do this just to have to retire and rust away...

I don't wanna post his on Y/A , as I get a lot of Unintelligent answers with no references/experiences.

I'm 69 years old and just got my A&P Certificates this past January. I could have gone to work the day I graduated, but I only got my license so I could work on my own airplanes. Most of the students who passed their Oral & Practicals and got their A&P Certificates went to work within a couple of weeks of graduations. The jobs are out there, but you have to work hard in school, make good grades and have good attendance while in school. Take you FAA exams just as soon as you are eligible and take your O&P's just as soon as you can. Good luck.

Mallory
08-19-2017, 07:24 PM
My Geep is 3.81 so fart. I was told by a SkyWest employee to take Structural exam as soon as done or I'll forget too much. Good Advice.

Mallory
08-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Maybe you need to expand your market of opportunities......pretty sure you could go somewhere like Oscoda Mi and get a job in Kalitta's engine shop. If that's what you want to do.

I don't see why I'd take a 2 1/2 year course just be a shop monkey when any 16 year old could? Id like to Prove I have a brain. Besides I don want to, live back east are

Mallory
09-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Doesn't Matter. Closing thread,.. Im dropping the A & P class. My teachers hate me, Im holding up the class. I was working hours after class for a week at my Blueprinting and barely caught up. Then, one B/P was stolen. I am slipping behind again this week. I think is the best option for all , not the Easiest. Im just not sure what do about my grants. The Fnancial aide counselor can help me with this Weds.

Mallory
09-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Doesn't mater, dropping class.

Mallory
09-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Doesn't matter I am dropipng clas I was a fool to try.

Mallory
09-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Don't need a 2 1/2 year A & P class to work as a greas monkey. It doesn't matter as Im dropping clas. Make youy Happy?

Anymouse
09-18-2017, 12:56 AM
If you're giving up that quick, perhaps A&P just wasn't for you.

Mallory
10-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Oh I can do it all right. Quantum Mechanics, too, But I just don't have the time or energy at my age to do 7 or 8 hour classes, and I doubt I will have many productive years left after I get the cert, in theory. I'll be 62, minimum, . when/If I get it. Most employers don't hire OG's no matter what the law says.

I already have 2 as degrees in electronics plus a year of Chemistry and engiing. classes ering, some C/Word/Excell asses, So Im noquitter, just cant stand the punks I mt clss.

I wish this were attainable online . I have an amateur Extra ticket

I said; this thread's Closed. One of my teachers stressed writing/reading English...

Yellowhammer
12-12-2018, 12:59 PM
WTF are you trying to communicate?