PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever converted a Quicksilver MX From Landing wires to struts?

RonK
05-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Like the title say, is it possible to convert a Quicksilver Mx Sport to a strut holding the wing up and get rid of the king post and flying wires?

M-Squared has a 1 seater that looks identical to my MX and it has a Strut and no king post.

I also would like to make the Wingtips fold about 3 1/2' to 4' from the end, or just remove by sliding into the end, with progressive size tubes (like doublers), and pins.

It may work if I make a wing similar to a Aerodrome wing and put the Quicksilver airfoil on it. Basically, the Aerodrome wing looks like a Quicksilver wing but riveted together, and covered the conventional way.

The reason for the folding/removable wingtip is because my storage shed is 23' wide, my Quicksilver has a 28' span.

I know there's a lot of plans with biplanes, that have a 20' span the would fit in my shed with room to spare. And probably may even cost less to make than trying to convert my wings.

1600vw
05-28-2017, 08:56 PM
The wings are held in many different locations using the method Quicksilver does. A strut braced wing would need to be made more rigged for this reason.

My 2. cents.

Tony

dougbush
05-30-2017, 12:38 AM
I think it would be cheaper, easier and safer to modify the shed.

Dana
05-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Quicksilver makes a strut braced version, but it's heavier and less rigid than the cable braced versions. They never had a folding wing version, though.

A folding wing plane like a Kolb might be a better choice.

RonK
05-30-2017, 03:26 PM
I think it would be cheaper, easier and safer to modify the shed.

You're probably right. But it's a major hassle to get permits where I live.

RonK
05-30-2017, 03:30 PM
The wings are held in many different locations using the method Quicksilver does. A strut braced wing would need to be made more rigged for this reason.

My 2. cents.

Tony

There would only be 2 spots where the strut would be fastened, plus two braces. But that's just on one side. There's 8 with the current set up. Top and bottom.

RonK
05-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Quicksilver makes a strut braced version, but it's heavier and less rigid than the cable braced versions. They never had a folding wing version, though.

A folding wing plane like a Kolb might be a better choice.

I saw all kinds of good deals after I bought my Quicksilver 5 years ago, all for the same price or cheaper. The guy who sold me the MS Quicksilver had a nice Fly Baby for sale with a good O-200 and pretty good covering job for about $500 more than my Quicksilver, with folding wings.

RonK
05-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I may consider a different airplane, one with folding wings, or a little biplane with a 20-foot span. There's plenty of Plans in the EAA Flying and Glider Manuals from the 1930's. I have all of them.

1600vw
05-30-2017, 08:24 PM
There would only be 2 spots where the strut would be fastened, plus two braces. But that's just on one side. There's 8 with the current set up. Top and bottom.

We have a local man who designed his own aircraft around the quicksilver MXL wing. He wanted this to be strut braced. To do so he had to change a lot in the way of construction. He sold around 10 before stopping production. He still to this day flies one of these airplane he designed and built.

Bill Berson
05-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Put it sideways in the shed.

RonK
06-02-2017, 02:21 PM
We have a local man who designed his own aircraft around the quicksilver MXL wing. He wanted this to be strut braced. To do so he had to change a lot in the way of construction. He sold around 10 before stopping production. He still to this day flies one of these airplane he designed and built.

TI wonder if he had to get thicker walled main and secondary wing spars? That's what I had in mind for the attachment points with the vertical brace N struts. Those two small V-shaped braces toward the back of the wing are something I never saw before. Could you please send more pictures.

I would like to make the wing either fold or detach at the end of the strut. That would give me enough room to fit in my Shed/mini hanger.

Thanks for the picture,

Ron

My real name, DWolf is just my user name.

RonK
06-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Put it sideways in the shed.

It would stick out about 4 feet on one wing. The shed is 24' x 20' my Quicksilver has 28' Span.

Didn't Quicksilver make a shorter Wing for the MX Sport Single seater?

1600vw
06-03-2017, 04:39 AM
TI wonder if he had to get thicker walled main and secondary wing spars? That's what I had in mind for the attachment points with the vertical brace N struts. Those two small V-shaped braces toward the back of the wing are something I never saw before. Could you please send more pictures.

I would like to make the wing either fold or detach at the end of the strut. That would give me enough room to fit in my Shed/mini hanger.

Thanks for the picture,

Ron

My real name, DWolf is just my user name.

From what he told me he doubled the tubes on the spars. Its a tube in a tube or how he explained it to me. This man is not a real approachable person, not a very good attitude, Because of this, this will be the most info you will ever get on this unless you know him personally. Even then he does not share much.

Tony

RonK
06-05-2017, 10:58 AM
From what he told me he doubled the tubes on the spars. Its a tube in a tube or how he explained it to me. This man is not a real approachable person, not a very good attitude, Because of this, this will be the most info you will ever get on this unless you know him personally. Even then he does not share much.

Tony

Thanks, that's very helpful.

cliffo
06-25-2017, 07:32 PM
I took an old Hollywood bed frame and converted it with a few boards so I can put my Quicksilver through a 23' door. You can push it any direction needed.