PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Museum Dayto, Ohio

a1tangen
11-12-2011, 11:45 PM
My wife and I are planning to fly our C-182 to Dayton this summer to visit the Air Force museum. This will be our first time to fly to the area and we are looking for recommendations of which airport to tie down for a couple days the first week of July. We want to be close to the museum, and pick up a rental car. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Art

Seerjfly
11-13-2011, 08:39 AM

a1tangen
11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks!

Rick Rademacher
11-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Be sure to fly to Grimes Field(I74) in Urbana to see the http://champaignaviationmuseum.org/ on the field as well as eating lunch at the Airport Cafe. Also, don't forget to stop at WACO Field(http://www.wacoairmuseum.org/) , Troy to see what they have.

Joe LaMantia
11-14-2011, 09:09 AM
I "totally" agree with Rick's advice and if you have time to spend check out Red Stewart Field in Waynesville, only a few miles SE of Dayton. There are other sights to see in and around Dayton, like the Wright museum,
you will have a great time!

Joe
:cool:

FlyingRon
11-15-2011, 08:07 AM
We did our National Navion Convention at Moraine (I19). Other than lacking an instrument approach, this is a very nice and friendly airport.

Seerjfly
11-15-2011, 08:26 AM

Pete S
11-15-2011, 08:53 AM
I flew into Greene County myself and they have car rental on the field and it's a short drive to the museum. I second Seerjfly on visiting Huffman Prairie Flying Field. You walk on hallowed ground there.

chuck avon
11-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Have flew to Dayton 3 different times and stopped at Dayton Moraine air park the Manager George is grate they have a courtesy car a dependable one and it is 8 mi to museum.The people at the air port are grate also and there are some rear nice older aircraft based there

Kamic
11-15-2011, 11:57 AM
I just went to the Air Force Museum in Ohio this summer for my first time on a trip back to Oshkosh from Washington DC. Amazing place! I saw both World War 2 nuclear bombers in one vacation!

HoosierAviator
11-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I would recommend Commander Aero at Dayton-Wright Brothers Airport (KMGY). John Bosch runs a great FBO there and will definitely get great service.

a1tangen
11-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Thank you for your replies. We will incorporate the suggestions!
I have been out of pocket this week on company business therefore so to reply.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
- Art

PaulDow
11-17-2011, 08:01 AM
If you have the time, I'd recommend about 3-4 hours at Carillon Park (http://www.daytonhistory.org/destinations/carillon-park/wright-brothers.htm). They have the original 1905 Flyer III, along with a lot of other very interesting exhibits in a really nice setting.
I went to Dayton a few years ago around this time of year. Spend 2 1/2 days at the AF museum, and it was great with the small November crowds. The docents could take their time to talk with you, and the daily guided tour turned into a semi-personal tour with only one other couple with us. For example, I was able to spend about 1/2 hour with a gentleman who was involved with AAC traffic control back in England during WWII. Places you can do that are pretty scarce.

Barnstorm
11-17-2011, 09:47 AM
A southern Indiana EAA and PRA chapter is planning a bus trip to the AFB Museum THIS SATURDAY.

If you want information to hook up with them or get on the bus at one of the stops along the way let me know.

They are asking $30 donation to help pay for the bus.