PDA

View Full Version : Lycoming crank problem

gorgonc3
11-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Ok, so I finally got back to the garage and my Tailwind project after almost a year. While trying to get the bench cleaned, I made an engine stand and started to tear down an O-320 E2D basket case that has been holding the bench down.

After a little clean up, the journals look good (measured standard on all journals). I did a runout on the crank when I got the thing and it is perfect. The original intent was to use this crank in a 290 conversion, but looking at the condition of the cylinders and crankcase, I changed my mind.

Now the problem. I found some pitting under the grime on the back of the flange. After cleaning, I took some photos which are attached. Just looking for an opinion here....but should I bother packaging it up and sending it in for magnafluxing and cleanup?

I can't find specs in the OH manual.

Mark

Bugs66
11-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I noticed nobody has chimed in yet but if it were me, I would ship to Rick Romans and have them inspect and recertify (if possible). Just the basic inspection isn't very expensive.

uavmx
11-14-2011, 02:36 AM
That's a tough call. It looks like there is rust in the threads too, correct? Did you try running a bolt through each hole? While it looks like the corrosion has stopped, it's a good amount of pitting. I would say contact a shop that knows cranks, send them the pics. They then may want to see it in person, let them inspect it, but don't do the whole magnaflux, etc work until they decide that they are okay with the corrosion.

I'm not sure if the Lycoming overhaul book gives any details/limits for something like that? Do you have the book?

Chad Jensen
11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Like the others have suggested, I'd send it in to have it looked at just to be sure. Better to err on the safe side...