PDA

View Full Version : PT 19 Project

petehall
11-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm working on a complete restoration of a 1941 PT and need a few specific parts. I'm looking for 4 main spar wing hinge bolts (Fairchhild # 63136) or a way to convert to AN bolts. Also I need 4 rear spar hinge straps (Fairchild # 63106) I got this plane out of a barn and it is mostly all there except for a few odd pieces.

Pete

CraigCantwell
11-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Pete: Join up with us over at Fairchildclub.org. There are a number of people over there that do have spares of almost anything Fairchild PT series or 24 series. I believe that Jamie Treat, one of the club memebers, has a CD for sale with a large number of Fairchild drawings. I don't know if it will have the drawings you need or not, but someone in the club probably does.

The factory most likely made the bolts originally from 4140 of 4130 in either rod or hex stock and cut them on a lathe and mill and then heat treated to the required strength. If those are the bolts that I'm thinking of, they are going to have to be fabricated if no one has a spare set as they are something like 6 inches long and are profiled almost like a sholder bolt. I'm in the same fix on my Fairchild twin. I've got several special bolts that are all going to have to be fabricated as the ones I have are not airworthy and others are not there.