PDA

View Full Version : Solidworks for Apple OS?

mikeno
10-27-2016, 08:15 AM
I've not found an option to download Solidworks for Apple Mac operating system. Is this not available or did I just miss it?
Thanks - Mike

Mike Switzer
10-27-2016, 10:38 AM
I doubt if it is available. The major engineering software companies only make software for PC or UNIX.

cwilliamrose
10-27-2016, 05:55 PM
You can quit looking, it doesn't exist. Some companies have tried to port their CAD software to other OS's and it has been most often a failure. I personally would hate to see it with SWx, their energies are best focused on making what they have better for the current user base.

mikeno
10-27-2016, 11:00 PM
You can quit looking, it doesn't exist. Some companies have tried to port their CAD software to other OS's and it has been most often a failure. I personally would hate to see it with SWx, their energies are best focused on making what they have better for the current user base.

Thanks all for the response. I suspected as much and it's understandable. Even if I have to buy Windows to run it on my Mac it's still a great deal.
Mike

cwilliamrose
10-28-2016, 08:33 AM
You might want to check the SWx website before going down this path. I have no personal experience to draw on but it's worth looking/asking before you move forward.

A quick search turned up this;

http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworksblog/2013/12/is-solidworks-software-available-for-apple-os-x.html

Cory Puuri
11-01-2016, 01:52 PM
From what I've heard, it is more likely that the SOLIDWORKS Student Design Kit will someday be available on the cloud. Dassault Systemes currently offers several products on their Cloud platform. This option may not be free; however, as a third party provides hosting for Dassault Systemes other products.