PDA

View Full Version : How do we get updates to the Student - EAA maker Edition

Dennis Harbin
10-19-2016, 06:14 AM
The software shows service pack updates available but the link says you need to contact one of their VARS to get the updates or the 2017 upgrade. They don't even know we exist or anything about this agreement with EAA and SolidWorks. I attended a release event for 2017 and would like to upgrade how do I do it?

cwilliamrose
10-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Has SWx 2017 been released yet or is it still in EVAL?

Dennis Harbin
10-21-2016, 05:09 AM
I don't know if 2017 is fully released but there are service pack updates I could make if I knew how to get them to download without going to a VAR.

cwilliamrose
10-21-2016, 06:51 AM
Yes, I would think the 2016 updates would be available if that's the version you have registered. As far as keeping up with the latest version goes I doubt there's any need to do that unless some wonderful new feature or bug fix applies to your use of the software. Most times the new versions bring with them additional resource demands which means things can run slower and take longer than they did using the previous version. If you're exchanging files having the new version is a plus, otherwise not always so much.....

Cory Puuri
11-01-2016, 01:34 PM
I think that the software automatically checks for downloads. I was unable to find an update download area on the DS SolidWorks websites.

Dennis Harbin
11-02-2016, 05:10 AM
Cory, On the SOLIDWORKS Resources tab, under Community, Technical Alerts and News, there is a list of available updates for the software. There doesn't seem to be a way to set the software to automatically update itself. I also use, and love, TurboCAD which is the same, you have to actively update it.

When you click on the link it takes you to SolidWorks Support. Downloads and Updates require an Active Subscription Service, which you buy through a VAR.

SolidWorks was the first item on my list of what to buy if I won the lottery so I'm way past excited to have it available. In my 50+ years as an EAA member this is the best benefit to help me with my projects. I can live without updates if needed but there are some great new things in 2017 which I would like to use. I'm almost done with my training and ready to start modeling for my projects.

Cory Puuri
11-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback! Can we use that quote in promoting the benefit?

I will check with DS SolidWorks to see if there is a way to get updates. I will also be working on expanding functionality to add a parts library, and stress/flow testing at the assembly level.

Cory, On the SOLIDWORKS Resources tab, under Community, Technical Alerts and News, there is a list of available updates for the software. There doesn't seem to be a way to set the software to automatically update itself. I also use, and love, TurboCAD which is the same, you have to actively update it.

When you click on the link it takes you to SolidWorks Support. Downloads and Updates require an Active Subscription Service, which you buy through a VAR.

SolidWorks was the first item on my list of what to buy if I won the lottery so I'm way past excited to have it available. In my 50+ years as an EAA member this is the best benefit to help me with my projects. I can live without updates if needed but there are some great new things in 2017 which I would like to use. I'm almost done with my training and ready to start modeling for my projects.

John Cox
12-13-2016, 07:57 PM
I too would like a clear path to upgrading Service Packs and any Adds to this remarkable Solidworks package. The road to be traveled is not clear. Having little Software Support leaves a gapping opportunity. Still a BIG Thank you to Cory and his amazing effort with GSC to provide the Value Added.

tcbetka
01-17-2017, 11:52 AM
To be honest, I would stick with 2016 a while yet.

I purchased SOLIDWORKS Professional last fall, after using the Student version for a few days. I use it for my consulting work, so I needed a commercial version. When I purchased it I got 2015, 2016 SP5, and also 2017 SP0. I first installed 2017 SP0, but after a couple of days actually installed 2016 SP5, and it's been great ever since. I see that 2017 SP1 has come out now, but to be honest I'm sort of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of a guy...so I've stayed with 2016. It's pretty much rock solid on my 64-bit Win7 machine with a mid-line NVIDIA Quadro video card. So I see no reason to change right now. The reality of it is that the software is so complex that it will be 1-2 years before I will feel advanced enough to really want to be on the bleeding edge--and I use the stuff 5-6 hours per day on average, and 6-7 days per week.

Regarding support--I haven't needed any. Being that I work online and have developed software for a few years before going full-time into the world of mechanical design, I'm used to using Google to solve problems. So the few issues I've had with SOLIDWORKS, I've worked through myself in a matter of an hour or two for the most part. In both cases I had the issue resolved 12-24 hours before my VAR got back to me to offer help. And then just basically just reiterate your problem in an email, and ask you to confirm it. So to be totally honest, I just haven't needed the VAR support to this point.

(Fingers-crossed!)

TB

Dennis Harbin
01-19-2017, 05:48 AM
TB,

Thanks for your thoughts.

There are some useful new features in 2017. I agree that I find plenty of help available on line and for free I don't expect any help from a VAR. At the same time I believe in keeping software up to date. In general software companies release updates to fix problems so their software works better to keep customers buying and recommending their software. I've had enough trouble creating my first parts and assemblies and would be disappointed to find out it wasn't me but a bug which could have been avoided if I had just been able to update the software. When I contact software companies with problems their first question is always do I have the latest updates for that version of their software. The answer right now would be no.

Right now I'm having fun modeling my 1926 WACO NINE, so many more projects to do.

Cory Puuri
01-19-2017, 09:44 AM
TB,

Thanks for your thoughts.

There are some useful new features in 2017. I agree that I find plenty of help available on line and for free I don't expect any help from a VAR. At the same time I believe in keeping software up to date. In general software companies release updates to fix problems so their software works better to keep customers buying and recommending their software. I've had enough trouble creating my first parts and assemblies and would be disappointed to find out it wasn't me but a bug which could have been avoided if I had just been able to update the software. When I contact software companies with problems their first question is always do I have the latest updates for that version of their software. The answer right now would be no.

Right now I'm having fun modeling my 1926 WACO NINE, so many more projects to do.

I spoke with GSC and they said that Dassault Systemes will not offer patches/updates to the SDK EAA Maker Edition. They update the software one time per year and release it at the end of the school year (they said "May timeframe") to give schools that use the software time to update the software over the summer.

I am currently working on obtaining the Student Engineering Kit for our members. If they approve it, I'm hoping to have that by AirVenture.

Thanks, Dennis!

Cory

tcbetka
01-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Wow, that would incredible Cory, if you could get the engineering kit. I have a license for SW Professional, but (as I recall) there were a few things in the engineering kit that I don't have--so I for one would take advantage of that upgrade!

TB

Mark Meredith
01-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Cory,
"I am currently working on obtaining the Student Engineering Kit for our members. If they approve it, I'm hoping to have that by AirVenture." What does that do? Thanks, Mark

Dennis Harbin
01-22-2017, 06:34 AM
Cory has been working with Dassault Systemes. They release an update for the Student edition once a year in May so schools can update their software over the summer break, that's why it's the 2016-2017 version. May is not far off. I appreciate that they are letting us have access to the software and a once a year update is a fair trade. There are some 2017 features I would like to use so I'll be looking forward to making the update.

Hopefully he can let us know when the update is available and how to load it.

I have my first parts and an assembly done for my WACO NINE. I'm modeling the wing rib now. Good fun.

Thanks again Cory,

Dennis