PDA

View Full Version : SolidWorks has ceased to Function...

Bill Simpson
09-11-2016, 07:34 PM
Hi,

Wonder if anyone has any ideas... It used to work, built models, analyzed them, etc, just last weekend. Got on today, and it will not come up on the computer. Tried booting from the icon, by selecting it in Programs and have tried double clicking and right click then clicking Open. Nothing. No rejection window, no other response, just no SolidWorks.

Has something expired and we are not allowed to use it without some sort of refresh?

Bill

Jeffrey Meyer
09-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Hi Bill,

My 2 cents worth:
I seem to remember from past experience with the student edition of SW that the license is valid for one year up to a certain date, independant of the date you install it.
This may not be relevant to the EAA version, and even if it is relevant I don't know what to do about it:P

Cory Puuri
09-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Wonder if anyone has any ideas... It used to work, built models, analyzed them, etc, just last weekend. Got on today, and it will not come up on the computer. Tried booting from the icon, by selecting it in Programs and have tried double clicking and right click then clicking Open. Nothing. No rejection window, no other response, just no SolidWorks.

Here are a couple questions for you:
1) Did you successfully activate the software and does the SOLIDWORKS computer have an active internet connection? It should have popped up a notice with X days until your trial expires if you didn't activate it, but if you tried to activate it, but it wasn't connected to the internet, the computer might be checking for an active internet connection to complete activation. Your weekend usage may have still been on the 30-day trial.
2) Did your computer install any updates after your weekend usage? SOLIDWORKS may be having issues with some updates your computer installed, which may require SOLIDWORKS to update, too. To check for SOLIDWORKS updates, go to: Help > Check
3) Did you try shutting down your computer and restarting? Sometimes, if you click the icon twice, I've noticed that it seems to get hung up trying to open two instances of the program. This is not unique to SOLIDWORKS, though.
4) If you've tried restarting your computer is the software getting stuck on the splash screen for SOLIDWORKS? If so, check out this article (http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2011/09/resetting-solidworks-windows-registry/#.V9gwA_krKUk).
5) Have you ever had a different version of SOLIDWORKS running on this computer? If so, you may need to uninstall all versions and make the appropriate registry edits (https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/41343) to make it work.
In response to the suggestion that you may have reached the end of the EAA license year, that isn't the case. Our license is on a calendar year, but your individual license is one year from the activation date.

Bill Simpson
09-15-2016, 08:11 PM
Cory,

Thanks for the questions:

1) I did everything that the SolidWorks load popped up for me to do. I do not specifically remember "activating" anything. Did the load steps, clicked on the icon, it worked for days, now it does not;
2) I do not know of any updates to the computer. As to Help > Check, could not find it on Windows nor on the SolidWorks website. What program or website are we supposed to be on? By the way, if we are supposed to be getting it from inside SolidWorks, it will not work if SolidWorks will not come up in the first place;
3) I have re-booted several times;
4) It does not even get to the splash screen. Double click on the icon, get the busy symbol for a few seconds, then the busy symbol goes away and nothing else happens;
5) I have only ever had the single load of SolidWorks on this machine.

I am tempted to uninstall and start over, but the lengthy load time is discouraging (it took several hours)

Billski

Jeffrey Meyer
09-16-2016, 01:21 AM
Hi Bill,

This may help:

Step 1:
At the Windows OS level go to Start > All Programs.
Choose your installation of SolidWorks - It'll probably look something like SolidWorks 2015 Student Edition.
Then choose>SolidWorks Tools > SolidWorks Rx.
Choose the Diagnostics tab and then Reload Results.
You will then learn a great deal about you installation.

Step 2:
Make sure SW is not running (should be quite easy for you because you can't start it:(). Then, while in SolidWorks Rx (as in step 1 above) choose the Problem Capture tab and then Record Video...
Rx will try to start SW from within Rx. If it starts we've made some progress. If not go to Step 3:

Step 3:
Again in SolidWorks Rx, choose the Home tab that offers some SolidWorks Safe Mode options that may also shed some light on the problem.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Meyer
09-16-2016, 01:42 AM
PS - SolidWorks Rx gives access to the SolidWorks log file that also might give some information about the failure to run.

Jeffrey Meyer
09-16-2016, 01:48 AM
Bill, is it possible that your antispam or antivirus protection has blocked your SW license manager?

Cory Puuri
09-19-2016, 01:41 PM
I think you're right to uninstall and reinstall the program. I'm stumped as to why it is no longer working.

I did find this SW Forum discussion on it: http://my.solidworks.com/reader/forumthreads/91072/soliworks-student-version-not-opening-after-installation

It has a few more ideas for you to try before a reinstall.

Bill Simpson
09-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Hi Bill,

This may help:

Step 1:
At the Windows OS level go to Start > All Programs.
Choose your installation of SolidWorks - It'll probably look something like SolidWorks 2015 Student Edition.
Then choose>SolidWorks Tools > SolidWorks Rx.
Choose the Diagnostics tab and then Reload Results.
You will then learn a great deal about you installation.

Step 2:
Make sure SW is not running (should be quite easy for you because you can't start it:(). Then, while in SolidWorks Rx (as in step 1 above) choose the Problem Capture tab and then Record Video...
Rx will try to start SW from within Rx. If it starts we've made some progress. If not go to Step 3:

Step 3:
Again in SolidWorks Rx, choose the Home tab that offers some SolidWorks Safe Mode options that may also shed some light on the problem.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey,

Tried all of this stuff. Found my Graphics Driver needed updating (did it and restarted). Still won't even give splash page.

Reran Dx page, got warnings for:
SW backup Directory was not set, but can not do that until SW runs;
Could not open Service Pack Database;
Toolbox load on Local drive;

OK, will the service pack DB failure keep me from running?

Next I went to SW RX home and clicked on Safe Mode Launches, and each time got a little window that says "SW is already running"...

OK, what do I do about that?

Bill

Mike Switzer
09-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Next I went to SW RX home and clicked on Safe Mode Launches, and each time got a little window that says "SW is already running"...

OK, what do I do about that?

Bill

Go to the start menu & depending on what version of windows you are running, click run (or on win 7 or newer use the search window at the bottom) type msconfig & hit enter. Look in the startup tab & see if you can identify something from solidworks that is starting when the system boots, uncheck the box & reboot.

Bill Simpson
09-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Bill, is it possible that your antispam or antivirus protection has blocked your SW license manager?

It ran just fine for a while, and then it ceased to run. We made no changes to the antivirus, and the spam filter is not even activated.

I am at wits end. I would already have retuned my license and then reloaded it if I could find my activation code...

Bill Simpson
09-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Did not work when the firewall was turned off...

Jeffrey Meyer
09-28-2016, 02:20 AM
I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on this one:confused: - I know that some malware protection programs "clean" the windows registry by actually removing "unwanted" entries. If the required entries are not in the registry then turning off the firewall won't help. I have absolutely no idea how to check if this is actually the case, but if it is indeed the case, then the solution is fairly obvious - stop the malware protection and reinstall SW:rollseyes:

If the problem was/is caused by the malware protection program, then it's a bit like a bladeless knife without a handle;) - the operation was a success but the patient died.

I use WinZip malware protection and I'm pretty satisfied with it. When it discovers problematic entries in the registry it gives details and allows us to electively not remove it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I've never needed to use this feature.