PDA

View Full Version : Zenith 750 Cruzer

BigO
09-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Hello All!

Has anyone had success using the model that Zenith has provided in SolidWorks? I have used the program before, but I am really only familiar with the use of .sldprt and .sldasm file structure. I have never used a .3dxml file (or files, as the Zenith appears to be), and I cannot seem to get it open in SolidWorks. eDrawings is being a bit more cooperative, but it's much more cumbersome than I'm used to.

Any success stories out there? The model in question can be found here:

http://documents.zenith.aero/3d-solidworks-model.html

Jeffrey Meyer
09-09-2016, 12:38 AM
As far as I know the .3dxml file is a product of software called 3DVIA that is basically a viewer and documentation program. The file contains very little (if any) engineering data and the program, like e-drawings, doesn't have any engineering editing capability. The best you can expect from this file type is that you will be able to view details and measure sizes.
I'd be very happy if some more knowledgeable person tells me that I'm wrong.

Cory Puuri
09-09-2016, 03:41 PM
As far as I know the .3dxml file is a product of software called 3DVIA that is basically a viewer and documentation program. The file contains very little (if any) engineering data and the program, like e-drawings, doesn't have any engineering editing capability. The best you can expect from this file type is that you will be able to view details and measure sizes.
I'd be very happy if some more knowledgeable person tells me that I'm wrong.

No, you are right. It only opens in SOLIDWORKS EDrawings, which installs with the SOLIDWORKS SDK - EAA Maker Edition. Depending on what you're doing, I would reach out to Zenith to request a SOLIDWORKS file. For example, Zenith is working with EAA Chapter 1083 to develop controls to build a handicap accessible aircraft (http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/news/08-25-2016-eaa-chapter-building-airplane-for-pilots-with-disabilities).

I also have a request into Zenith to provide a file that locks up some assemblies but allows EAA members to redesign certain elements of the Cruzer. We'll be doing a webinar on that in November (not scheduled yet).