PDA

View Full Version : Computer screen resolution using SolidWorks

Mark Meredith
09-01-2016, 06:28 AM
I have the student edition of SolidWorks and am learning how to use it. I have a new high resolution laptop that will not properly run the software. The icons are way too small to be usable and many of the drop-downs including tables are distorted and totally unusable. I bought a large monitor which solves the icon size problem but not the messed up tables. Even entering dimensions is very difficult: they must be intered blind, accepted then they'll show on the screen. I have experimented with every possible resolution and magnification combination and cannot fix these entry tables. I read in a Google search that this is a problem with SolidWorks that they have not fixed.
What solutions or workarounds have other people found? Thanks!

cwilliamrose
09-01-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm running 1980x1200 on a 24" monitor and the icons in SWx are borderline too small. I use a lot of hot keys and I'm used to the icons after about 17 years of using SWx so I get by. I do wish there were more than two choices for icon size to save some squinting.

Jeffrey Meyer
09-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately it seems that that's the way it is. There are some options at the Windows operating system level that may help.
You may find that the Windows Magnifier improves the situation, but I find it a bit disconcerting.
You can also try the Control Panel "Display" that supposedly allows you to increase the size of everything up to about 150%.

Mark Meredith
09-01-2016, 09:38 AM
I've used the display magnification, which helps. With a 27 inch monitor the icons are not great but ok. I'll try 1980x1200.
My workaround for dimensions is to put the cursor in the box and type. The box is closed up too narrow so what I type is invisble. But then click the check mark and verify it's correct.
In the on line Lydia course I'm taking it shows how to use formulas. That looks very useful, but no hope. The entry table is collapsed.
What do big companies with big license fees do? Surely they don't accept such liabilities in the software they're paying for!

cwilliamrose
09-01-2016, 10:12 AM
I'm using the medium (125%) display setting in Windows in addition to the larger icons in SWx. Tables are OK for me, the dimension dialog is small but usable.

fidot
09-02-2016, 09:38 PM
I'll second Bill -- try to increase the size of everything.

Right click an empty spot on desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Click "Display" in the left sidebar.

Try changing the size to begin with (on Win7, there are 3 options: 100, 125, and 150 %) .
Also, try changing DPI if that doesn't help.

And finally, Dell 30" monitors can be had used for ~$400 on Ebay. That's the best CAD screen. Ever. In my humble opinion.

Tom Gagnon
09-13-2016, 03:36 PM
I'm confused about which UI you're speaking of when you mention "tables." It sounds like you're talking about "Equations, Global Variables, and Dimensions" dialog box which is opened by "Manage Equations..." but it could also be a design table.

If it's a Design Table, you're stuck with the resolution of Solidworks if you click "Edit Table," but if you click "Edit Table in New Window," then it will open in Excel. When it is open in Excel, CTRL+mousewheel will allow zooming display of the contents. Libre Office (a free Office clone) should perform similarly, but I have not tested it out yet for integration with Solidworks on a system which lacks MS Office.

If it is the Equations table, you're similarly stuck with the resolution of the display.

To add to Jeffrey's post, you can also scale back your screen resolution below maximum, even temporarily. (Assuming Windows 7,) Right-click on desktop, select Screen Reolution, and drop down the Resolution menu to select a lesser value. Try to maintain aspect ratio, or a circle will look oval. Beware that doing this may reorder all icons on your desktop. If you have a ton of icons on desktop, I find it helpful to use Snipping Tool (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Snipping Tool) ahead of time to create a screenshot image from which you could put things back where they were. If you're going to be swapping this up and down often, reconsider if these icons and/or their order are necessary on the desktop. You can decrease resolution for interacting with tables, and increase it back up when done with it.

SFahrner
11-20-2016, 11:55 AM
And finally, Dell 30" monitors can be had used for ~$400 on Ebay. That's the best CAD screen. Ever. In my humble opinion.

I humbly concur - there is no substitute for the largest, highest resolution monitor you can afford when using any CAD/FEA software.

As an aside, I think (based on having taught several Solidworks classes) that the learning curve for any 3D CAD software is steep enough without having to struggle with identifying icons, constantly zooming in/out because the Viewport is too small, etc. I realize that the expense of a suitable monitor isn't trivial, but it can make the difference between learning enough for the software to be useful to you and giving up before you reach that point...

Mark Meredith
11-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Hi All -
Thanks for your help with this screen resolution problem. I did finally solve it, and even quite simply. I bought a $180 27" monitor (AOC). As noted above, the resolution was still a real problem! Then I just turned off the laptop screen, displaying on the monitor only so the laptop resolution did not impose itself on the monitor resolution. Bazinga! Perfect. I've since modeled my highly modified open cockpit Super Chipmunk N7DW. It's nearly completed, at least the outside shape including all fairings and a complex cowling.

I focused on my Chippy for 2 reasons: Horizon Hobby is planning to make a giant scale model of it, and their factory was struggling to get it right without access to trustworthy drawings or measurements of the actual airplane with all the mods. They use SolidWorks, so it was a perfect fit for me to do the modeling. I've made hundreds of measurements of various parts of my airplane (occasionally removing and taking home pieces so I can draw them with the part next to me). I've sent Horizon interim versions of the file as I've progressed.

The second, and real reason for investing so many hours into modeling an existing airplane, is to gain expertise with the software. My goal is to design a new airplane with many of the best features of my modified Chippy (easy landing, harmonized light controls, a sweet aerobatic flier, a golden age look) with modern construction and performance. A clean, fast, sport aerobatic plane that can pull more G's that I do with my 67 year old airplane. I compete in IAC Sportsman level aerobatics, but baby the plane. I will never be able to move up to higher classes. (My plane was an airshow bird from the early 70s until 2000 and was rode hard!). Plus, I've wanted to design a plane since I was a teenager and this is the one I want to pursue: a slightly smaller plane (the Chipmunk is a BIG airplane), also with an IO-540 but options to install a radial or 6 cyl auto without any other fuselage redesign. Composite wing, steel tube fuselage with streamlined polished aluminum fuselage skin, 30s vintage look, 1 or 2 seat tandem. I just gotta figure out what to do with my Chippy so I have a hangar to build it in.

Thanks again for the help getting started in SolidWorks! I'll figure out how to load my open cockpit Super Chipmunk file on this site. It's about 15-16 MB58915892

Mark Meredith
11-21-2016, 08:32 AM

Cory Puuri
11-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Nice looking Chipmunk, Mark! Will you be sharing the design?

Mark Meredith
11-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Cory, Sure! The file is fairly large. And now I've started adding parts to an assembly (wheel pants are separate parts). Is there a way to load that many MB and also keep the files linked? I have them in a shareable Dropbox file.

I'd love to have feedback from experienced users on how to do this modeling simpler. Mark

Mark Meredith
11-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Ok, I see that I should post it on Grabcad. Will figure it out. Mark

Jeffrey Meyer
11-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Cory's description ("Nice looking Chipmunk ...") is a gross understatement :D.
Could you give us a link to your Dropbox file?

Mark Meredith
11-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Jeffrey, I just posted it on GradCAD. I don't know how to open my Dropbox file to anyone - Dropbox asks for a specific email to send a link too. If interested we can go off line an I'll send you the link. Or if GrabCAD works, all the better. Mark

Jeffrey Meyer
11-30-2016, 04:53 AM
Thanks, Mark
My private e-mail is jeff54il@yahoo.com

tcbetka
01-17-2017, 11:54 AM
That's awesome work Mark! Looks really great!

TB