PDA

View Full Version : SolidWorks EAA Users Group and Libraries

AJLiberatore
08-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Friends,

I hope to download SolidWorks soon, if my graphics drivers will accommodate it.

Do we have...

An Official User Group, with leaders and or mentor / trainers.
Have we started an EAA Library of parts ( MS fasteners, wheels, brakes etc etc etc ).

Thank you and I look forward to your replies,

My best,
Anthony

Jeffrey Meyer
08-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Official EAA Users group: You're on it - welcome aboard.:)

EAA Library of parts: Great Idea - perhaps we can convince the EAA (Cory?) to get some space assigned on the EAA servers?!

Cory Puuri
08-30-2016, 02:48 PM
Our advice is to post designs to GrabCAD (https://grabcad.com/library/software/solidworks) and share the link on this Forum thread: http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?6884-Post-SOLIDWORKS-Designs-Here

Honestly, you could post them anywhere as long as you share a link with us on the thread above.

fidot
09-02-2016, 09:33 PM
For the library; I'd recommend GitHub or similar services: no need for Cory et al to set up anything special.

I started a small library with AN hardware and some bearings way back when, here: https://github.com/fidot1983/swx
Description with pictures and file by file links: http://79ft.net/pages/solidworks-models.html

AJLiberatore
09-06-2016, 05:10 AM
Gents,

Thanks. I downloaded SW & without a recommended graphics card it works, for now. Getting into heavy modeling might be a different story. Former Cad wonk on this end 20 yrs in the biz but that was a couple of careers ago. A Local Community College has a class, any thoughts on signing up? I'd have to do it today, or wait until next semester. Any thoughts?

My best,
Anthony

Hstaton
09-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Do it, and don't hesitate. Trying on my own is frustrating.

AnnaWood
09-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Gents,

Thanks. I downloaded SW & without a recommended graphics card it works, for now. Getting into heavy modeling might be a different story. Former Cad wonk on this end 20 yrs in the biz but that was a couple of careers ago. A Local Community College has a class, any thoughts on signing up? I'd have to do it today, or wait until next semester. Any thoughts?

My best,
Anthony

Classes at your local community college is a great way to go. I would sign up for this semester if you can fit it into your schedule.

AJLiberatore
09-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Classes at your local community college is a great way to go. I would sign up for this semester if you can fit it into your schedule.

Anna, and other Posters,

Thanks, I did just that. I got in late, however the 1st 2 classes were one intro, and the 2nd ( and 3rd I attended ) were plagued with software issues. I happened to see the Prof, later in the week and hopefully their MIS staff has the issues ironed out. As a visual learner it is worth it's weight in gold. The textbook, the Community College videos and all the assets available if you join the SolidWorks Community should do the trick. My journey continues. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks! My best,
Anthony

AJLiberatore
12-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Folks,

An update. I am almost done with the class. Frankly, I am not sure I could have gotten to this point with my modeling and drawing skill set without it. IMHO this might be a difficult program to learn on your own, classes might be a must, it is complicated and intertwined software. Tangent to this is the tips and tricks { that you have to ask about } ( or follow the directions in the books to the tee, i.e. a command with in a command { and auxiliary snipped within a spline } can cost you dearly in time consumed trying to use the software. At this point, any suggestions as to the Solidworks user groups ( and this one ) in terms of assistance? I almost wish their was a help line at times....

My best, Anthony

Jeffrey Meyer
12-10-2016, 03:06 AM
Folks,
.... I almost wish their was a help line at times....

Hi Anthony (May I call you Tony, or AJ?)

There IS an EAA help line with the emphasis on at times. It's my understanding that that's what this forum is all about.

Speaking strictly for myself, I can and am willing to talk to you on Whatsapp, at times. In addition there exists a neat freeware program called TeamViewer that enables you to remotely work on my computer desktop (or me to work on yours) in Internet "real time", all this at times.

I emphasize the at times because I have to set expectations in this regard:
1. My clock is 6 or 7 hours ahead of yours,
2. I have to earn a living (sometimes) and I'm doing this on a voluntary basis so I can't commit to be available at any particular times or to react within any given time,
3. I have no access to official SW support so I can't guarantee that I can answer all your questions and I certainly don't know everything about everything. (However, in the past I gained considerable experience giving telephone support to CAD users, and very seldom required help from the official help-desk.)

On the positive side, I'm sure there are also other EAA users of SW who can contribute similar (if not better) hot-line support subject to their particular limitations.

Jeffrey

John Cox
12-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Hi Anthony (May I call you Tony, or AJ?)

There IS an EAA help line with the emphasis on at times. It's my understanding that that's what this forum is all about.

Speaking strictly for myself, I can and am willing to talk to you on Whatsapp, at times. In addition there exists a neat freeware program called TeamViewer that enables you to remotely work on my computer desktop (or me to work on yours) in Internet "real time", all this at times.

I emphasize the at times because I have to set expectations in this regard:
1. My clock is 6 or 7 hours ahead of yours,
2. I have to earn a living (sometimes) and I'm doing this on a voluntary basis so I can't commit to be available at any particular times or to react within any given time,
3. I have no access to official SW support so I can't guarantee that I can answer all your questions and I certainly don't know everything about everything. (However, in the past I gained considerable experience giving telephone support to CAD users, and very seldom required help from the official help-desk.)

On the positive side, I'm sure there are also other EAA users of SW who can contribute similar (if not better) hot-line support subject to their particular limitations.

Jeffrey

This software offering is the Single Largest Benefit to EAA membership and there ARE many. I have ideas for Burt Rutan's SkiGull Wing, Phil Lockwood's AirCam Fuselage and the incorporation of some USN SEAL buddies M80 hydrodynamic Sponson designs for amphibious use. After many $$ into my computer for the most memory, newest processor, three 4K monitors and triple monitor mount I would love to engage the benefits of Solidworks. The Roadmap is neither Clear nor Understandable. My VAR (Hawkridge) just wants to sell a Premium License. Thanks GSC for trying this partnership. I want tutorial, I want to hear it in English and a desperately want to understand every Icon, every keystroke and yes the features of 2016-17 Student. I would love to be sold on which level of licensing I will need for Fluid Flow Dynamics and Stress Analysis which does not look like Student will ever do. The products, the pricing and clear instruction on the training to grasp oh yes and what skills to develop. My local college passes saying they are not set up for it. Ask a local user group.

John Cox
Lifetime EAA member and twenty years in pursuit of this journey

Cory Puuri
12-14-2016, 11:02 AM
This software offering is the Single Largest Benefit to EAA membership and there ARE many. I have ideas for Burt Rutan's SkiGull Wing, Phil Lockwood's AirCam Fuselage and the incorporation of some USN SEAL buddies M80 hydrodynamic Sponson designs for amphibious use. After many $$ into my computer for the most memory, newest processor, three 4K monitors and triple monitor mount I would love to engage the benefits of Solidworks. The Roadmap is neither Clear nor Understandable. My VAR (Hawkridge) just wants to sell a Premium License. Thanks GSC for trying this partnership. I want tutorial, I want to hear it in English and a desperately want to understand every Icon, every keystroke and yes the features of 2016-17 Student. I would love to be sold on which level of licensing I will need for Fluid Flow Dynamics and Stress Analysis which does not look like Student will ever do. The products, the pricing and clear instruction on the training to grasp oh yes and what skills to develop. My local college passes saying they are not set up for it. Ask a local user group.

John Cox
Lifetime EAA member and twenty years in pursuit of this journey

Thanks for the words of support, John! Based on our call, it sounds like you are going to do the tutorials built into your software. We're hoping to have that 2-3 day SportAir Workshop setup to test in the Spring. We have an offer from Zenith to provide some parts files that we can use in the class, which should make it more applicable to you than a non-aviation seminar. I will keep you posted.

I did send Jeffery an email to ask if he would kindly reach out to you via these forums. I'd suggest you PM him. He is active on this very thread.

Mark Meredith
01-07-2017, 03:53 PM
We're hoping to have that 2-3 day SportAir Workshop setup to test in the Spring.

Wonderful! Where do you think you'll do it?

Cory Puuri
01-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Oshkosh. We have a computer lab with 20 computers. SW is installed and we have Nvidia graphics cards thanks to a generous donation by Nvidia!

tcbetka
01-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Also check out YouTube for SOLIDWORK training--there are some really great people out there providing high-quality training on their channel. One guy is a fellow named Tim Callinan, who teaches at a Community College out east. I've never met the fellow, but I sure love his videos--and have watched and re-watched all 20 of them. Fantastic learning.

Also, Lynda.com is another good resource--and (as I recall) you can get a free subscription for a trial period...maybe 30 days? I forget for sure, but there are a number of SW-related courses there as well. But Tim C's stuff is just fantastic, IMHO.

TB

Ian Melville
01-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the Tim Callinan tip. Just watched the first video and found it useful and a good pace for my slow brain.

tcbetka
01-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Cool... The guy is an excellent instructor, and I love his accent! Anyone struggling to learn SW from scratch would do well to go through his videos and work along. I learned so much that way and feel that I reached "critical mass" much sooner with his videos than I ever would have without them. There are other good video channels on YT for learning SW, but many of them are silent (no explanation) and move very quickly. Look away for two seconds and you're totally lost as to what command was just clicked. A real ear exercise in futility in most cases.

It's a pity that Tim doesn't have any simulation videos, because I'm getting into that stuff for static and dynamic loading, and some fatigue analysis. Luckily though there are a few good channels out there that do have videos on it.

TB