PDA

View Full Version : medical change to drivers liscense

Allan
11-08-2011, 01:12 PM
How soon may we expect a change eliminating need for third class medicals??

FloridaJohn
11-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I would expect years from now (at least one, maybe two). EAA/AOPA haven't even submitted their proposal to the FAA yet. They are planning on doing that after the first of the year. So the clock doesn't even start until then.

My advice is to plan on things staying the same as they are now for the foreseeable future.

Eric Witherspoon
11-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Timeline I thought I heard in the EAA "from headquarters" presentation at Copperstate last month was more along the lines of 3-5 years, if ever. As in, they will require a lot of time to study the issue, more time to draft and work through what the rules changes will be, etc., etc., and after all that, they may decide no change at all will happen.

Though another comment I heard in that forum was that there is a mounting collection of data to show that Sport Pilots are NOT dropping out of the skies due to medical issues. So if you're operating as a SP, keep making smart decisions with respect to personal fitness to fly - it can help make the case for changes like this.

mcmurphy
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I would expect years from now (at least one, maybe two). EAA/AOPA haven't even submitted their proposal to the FAA yet. They are planning on doing that after the first of the year. So the clock doesn't even start until then.

My advice is to plan on things staying the same as they are now for the foreseeable future. Great. That will give me time to save up for a Varga Kachina;)

Joe LaMantia
11-09-2011, 08:38 AM
This issue will take time, when the idea of the Sport Pilot license first came to light a lot of pilots said it would never happen. They were wrong, but it did take longer than the promoters expected. I think this will take time, but will eventually happen. Look how long it's taking to get the "Next Gen" system funded. Canada has already implemented a new ATC system and we're still waiting for Congress to act! The big "fight" is still who pays for it, with some in congress still being lobbied for user fees.

Joe
:rollseyes:

Dick Russ
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Hello my EAA friends,
The proposal is very interesting and needed especially based on the data that AOPA and EAA have acquired regarding medical related accidents. I'm now 73 and had no problem passing my third class medical two years ago but just got tired of the hoops needed to jump through for renewal. I just had an extensive stress test and extensive physical which I have yearly because I want to make sure I'm fit to fly. The doctors said my heart is as strong as a 25 year old and I passed the stress test with flying colors. Last year I sold our Lance and bought a PiperSport. Not because I was afraid of not passing my medical, I was just tired of the FAA bureaucracy. I'm a 5000+ hour Comm, Multi-engine, IFR pilot flying on a Drivers license medical and loving it. If they do approve the drivers license for 180 HP pilots I will probably buy an Archer for the wife and I. Until then I will just enjoy flying around the country in the PiperSport.

Joe LaMantia
11-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Dick,
I'm with you on this one! I got my license in 1993 and have been on Special Issuance since 1996. Every June I have to get the blood panel, stress test, and Dr. letter organized and then spend $ with an AME , some years it goes quickly and some years I have to wait weeks or months before I get the official "green light". This year my "authorization letter" expired so the whole package went to Okie City, my renewal finally came in late Sept! Basically, I missed the whole summer flying season! I haven't had a medical incident since 1995, and that one was very minor. I'm hoping we will get the Drivers license change soon or I will have to re-think the whole light sport thing. They are fun airplanes, but I don't know if I would enjoy cross-countries in such a low capacity aircraft, not very practical.

Joe
:cool:

rosiejerryrosie
11-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Dick,
They are fun airplanes, but I don't know if I would enjoy cross-countries in such a low capacity aircraft, not very practical.

Joe

Joe think of it as adding to the adventure. Meeting the challange of 'surviving' for x number of days with only the gear you can put into a small attache case - meeting all those additional new people as you have to stop more frequently for gas - seeing more scenery as you have to fly closer to the ground - spending extra days at a fuel stop as you wait for the weather to return to VFR conditions....It's all an attitude thing ;)

Bill
11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Dick,
but I don't know if I would enjoy cross-countries in such a low capacity aircraft, not very practical.

Joe

One Sonex owner, who's a retired 777 captain, has visited all 48 states in his Sonex, which is an 1125 lb. max. gross weight experimental that can be flown by a pilot using a drivers license medical. From his talk on his adventures while doing it, I would say that he enjoyed it.

Bill

dewi8095
11-11-2011, 07:33 AM
It's all an attitude thing ;)

It's definitely an attitude thing. Private flying can be viewed as an recreational activity or as a means of personal transportation. The two frequently come together, but for many sport pilots, flying is an activity to be enjoyed like a round of golf or viewing a sports event. The newly proposed extension of the drivers license in lieu of a 3rd class medical will vastly expand the number of aircraft available for either activity. It can only help general aviation in my opinion and I hope the request for the exemption comes about quickly.

Don

Frank Giger
11-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Yep, it's all about mission!

For myself a PPL would really be a waste of time and money, considering all I want to do is low-and-slow "hey, look, it's a cow!" and "hey, look, it's another cow!" type of flying in beautiful weather.

I fully understand why forcing someone used to using an airplane for serious travel into Sport Pilot operating ranges chafe; I really hope they make the recreational pilot rules self-monitored (driver's license) so folks don't have to give up larger aircraft...

RayAnderson
11-15-2011, 02:23 PM
It is an adventure, a worth while one. I made to Osh in '09 in my C150 from CA and another time to Clinton, IA. Flew with some other 150's. Will do it again sometime.....

RayAnderson
11-15-2011, 02:26 PM
ps - I'm 72 and a cancer survivor but keeping my class 3 is worth it to also keep my affordable for me C150.

Hal Bryan
11-17-2011, 09:12 AM
In case you haven't seen it, we've posted a FAQ about the "Medical Exemption Request" here, just FYI:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/Medical_certification_FAQ.pdf

Joe LaMantia
11-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Guys,
I don't want any of you to think that I'm opposed to LSA's, they are the future "growth" area for GA! I fly "low and slow" in a TriPacer most of the time, but it is nice to have the range, speed, and especially the load capacity of the Archer II when my wife rides along! Neither of these aircraft qualify as "Light Sport", so the Medical Exemption proposal will be helpful in keeping our costs down and some of us airborne more frequently. I have lots of time and "adventures" in a C-150, but they didn't make the cut to qualify as LSA.

Hal,
Thanks for the posting, this is a welcome development in it's very early stage.

Joe

dewi8095
12-08-2011, 08:24 AM
I am wondering how the recent change in FAA leadership will affect the AOPA/EAA proposal for an exemption to the 3rd class medical rule for recreational pilots? Interim leadership frequently brings a tabling of important decisions and major changes, and, from what I have read, there will be an interim director until after the 2012 elections.

Don

Joe LaMantia
12-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Don, you may be on to something!,

Hard to see much being in done in Washington on any topic until the 2012 election is history. One party has been in "NO mode" since the 2008 election and the "ruling party" is living in the past! There is an interesting article on the impact of this medical rule exemption on the LSA business posted on this mornings' AOPA e-brief. The fear is that some customers will sit on the sidelines until it "shakes out". The main thrust of the LSA market is new training aircraft, but there are some guys out there that have the cash to buy and need the drivers license medical to be able to fly. Those that can afford to drop $100K plus will probably buy, but if you own non-LSA GA aircraft and have a current 3rd class medical you may better off waiting.

Joe

steveinindy
12-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Though another comment I heard in that forum was that there is a mounting collection of data to show that Sport Pilots are NOT dropping out of the skies due to medical issues.

Yeah, but there have been so few crashes involving strictly sport pilots (meaning ones who didn't have a medical certificate) that we really can't make a judgment one way or the other. It's great that they aren't dropping like flies, but at the same time given the small sample size as of yet, it's rather poor statistical methodology to try to draw broader conclusions at this time. I agree that for the most part, self-certification is a safe practice on the surface at least but at the same time, the scientist in me is demanding more data before I will make a hard and fast decision either way.

So if you're operating as a SP, keep making smart decisions with respect to personal fitness to fly - it can help make the case for changes like this.

Well said, although I will add the caveat that it should apply to all pilots. The more folks out there who are caught hiding their medical histories to obtain/maintain their medicals from the FAA the harder convincing them that removing that oversight will be.

If they do approve the drivers license for 180 HP pilots

It's a nice first step if we can show that we can do this safely, but I see that limit as only a slight improvement over the current one. At least under this one, we'd be able to have at least the marginal ability to have practical use of an aircraft. It's not useful to someone such as myself but it's a better option than being limited to an LSA should my medical become no longer renewable. I mean, you're still stuck with the daytime VFR only in fixies. Basically it's sport pilot on a low dose of steroids. However, if they are going to limit it to VFR only, I'm glad they are making it daylight hours only since, at least so far as I am concerned, night IFR is instrument flight.

A step in the right direction, most definitely, but it's not much more than a small one towards the ultimate need to have the ability to be a fully fledged PPL with instrument operations of complex aircraft.

They are fun airplanes, but I don't know if I would enjoy cross-countries in such a low capacity aircraft, not very practical.

Especially when any appreciable headwind makes it slower than going by car on the interstate.

One Sonex owner, who's a retired 777 captain, has visited all 48 states in his Sonex, which is an 1125 lb. max. gross weight experimental that can be flown by a pilot using a drivers license medical. From his talk on his adventures while doing it, I would say that he enjoyed it.

But it's such an ugly airplane. ;) As I overheard someone say about the Sonex at Oshkosh this summer, "Flying that would be like sleeping with a fat girl. It would probably be a lot of fun, but I would hope that none of my friends see me doing it." LOL

Bill
12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Y

But it's such an ugly airplane. ;) As I overheard someone say about the Sonex at Oshkosh this summer, "Flying that would be like sleeping with a fat girl. It would probably be a lot of fun, but I would hope that none of my friends see me doing it." LOL

But a Sonex won't tell anybody about your indiscretion. :rollseyes:

steveinindy
12-09-2011, 12:13 PM
But a Sonex won't tell anybody about your indiscretion. :rollseyes:

....but your logbook will. ;)

BTW Well played sir.