PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Problem for Windows 7 32 Bit OS

John Telfeyan
08-07-2016, 09:11 AM
The hardware requirements say that for Windows 7 - 32 bit processor only Solidworks 2014, 2014-2015 will work. It seems to me that is not one of the choices in the drop down Version box on the Student Access download page. The only 2 drop downs that I see are 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.
What am I missing?
Thanks
John

Tom Gagnon
08-07-2016, 11:37 AM
I think you have the full picture as it is. Apparently, Student versions do not allow you to access earlier years as paid versions do. I will try to provide a path to acquire what you need without breaking my own terms of service as a user which prevent me personally from providing you exactly what you need.

This page, http://www.solidworks.com/sw/training-support-cad.htm allows you access to downloads, training, and much more. Some of the useful items there such as Help, some Learning Resources (!!!), or Hardware & System Requirements (including supported video card driver versions), do not require a Customer Portal Login, so they are considered public. The download sections particularly, as well as support or Knowledge Base, require a SOLIDWORKS ID, and lead you to this page view:
Anything that leads you to this page is unavailable if you are not a registered customer through a VAR (i.e., reseller).

So, I recommend that you contact the VAR which has facilitated the offer to EAA, which is GSC, linked from EAA site at:
http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/solidworks-related-benefits
that takes you to
http://www.go.gxsc.com/eaa
I do not know if this is a part of the offer to EAA members, but this is where you would go to ask. In your request, I recommend that you identify yourself as an EAA member, include basically the first sentence of your post, and explain that you would like access to 2014 so that you can install it on your computer. They may be able to provide you a login to get what you need. They may be able to provide you a direct download of the 2014 Installation Manager, where you will use your student license serial number to install 2014 version. Since it is not clear to me in the pages describing their available services to EAA members whether this is available upon request, they may decline your request. I do not know how they will respond, but this is the right tree to bark up. That is, GSC is for all purposes the Value Added Reseller for all EAA members.

Caveat: I don't think that GSC want to be bombarded with all manner of support from diverse members of a large international organization, which is why we've established this forum. For issues that we cannot solve for you, these are the folks who could.

Also, please let us know if they are able to assist your issue, what was required of you to do so, and how they provided you access to previous versions, if they did. This feedback will be useful for other members with similar PC's.

Edit: After reviewing my post, I noticed the button there to [Create a SOLIDWORKS ID]. I am unfamiliar with that option, or what it entails, because I've always administered users within my business to be provided a login through our VAR. That's why I thought it was the path to venture down. Maybe try that and see what it gets you before calling or emailing GSC. Likewise, let us know how it goes.

AnnaWood
08-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Anyone can sign up for an account on the SolidWorks website. You do not need to be a customer of SolidWorks. The link to "Create a SOLIDWORKS ID" will allow you to create a SolidWorks account with limited access to SolidWorks resources if one does not have a subscription service agreement.

One area that anyone can have access to on the SolidWorks website is the SolidWorks forums. A very valuable resource.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/FAQ-CustomerCenter.htm

Tom Gagnon
08-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Then I think the difference that I've experienced is the VAR linking my ID to subscription service status, which allows me access to the downloads you need.

I certainly agree that the SW forums are very helpful, even to browse others' issues and learn from the solutions. There are often many ways around an issue, but some are simpler or more useful per case. I've been trying to relocate the huge FAQ to reproduce here with permission, as it covers a multitude of best practices and/or workarounds. I'll contact an expert I know there, as I remember him linking to it in a response before. I should've bookmarked it at the time.

AnnaWood
08-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Then I think the difference that I've experienced is the VAR linking my ID to subscription service status, which allows me access to the downloads you need.

I certainly agree that the SW forums are very helpful, even to browse others' issues and learn from the solutions. There are often many ways around an issue, but some are simpler or more useful per case. I've been trying to relocate the huge FAQ to reproduce here with permission, as it covers a multitude of best practices and/or workarounds. I'll contact an expert I know there, as I remember him linking to it in a response before. I should've bookmarked it at the time.

FAQ from the SolidWorks forum? Are you referring to this one?

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/90105

Tom Gagnon
08-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Yep, that's the one. I was going to ask Glenn where it was. Thanks!
Link done, although off-topic. I will post it separately.