PDA

View Full Version : Installation FAQs

Cory Puuri
08-03-2016, 11:06 PM
I'm going to post updates here on issues and fixes with SOLIDWORKS installation:

ISSUE
FIX

Installer says Windows pending reboot... (https://www.cati.com/wp-content/uploads/solidworks-1587585663005.png)
Ignore this error and continue.

I need to Renew my license to SW
Uninstall the current version of SOLIDWORKS running on your computer by opening Add or Remove Programs, and on the Summary Change the Advanced Options and check all boxes (i.e., Registry Edits, Data Files and Folders, and Download Files and Folders). You will not lose your saved designs. Then, go to http://EAA.org/SOLIDWORKS to request download instructions for the new version of SOLIDWORKS.

I uninstalled the old SW and when I installed the new one it says files are missing.
Do a complete uninstall and then reinstall the program. Make sure you also select Advanced uninstall and check the box next to registry edits. If you don't, it prefills the old serial on the new installation and says you are about to expire, and it leaves behind a Data folder for Toolbox that requires another work around.

SQL Error
SQL is only needed for SOLIDWORKS Electrical, so if you don't plan to work on electrical designs, you could uncheck that module in the Summary. If you do want to work on electrical designs, you can install SQL Express manually. Search for "sqlexpr_x64_enu.exe" on your computer using Windows Search. Extract the contents of that file to whatever directory it suggests and it will automatically open the SQL Express installation program. Select the "New SQL Server stand-alone..." option and follow instructions to completion. With SQL Express installed, try to reinstall SOLIDWORKS.

SOLIDWORKS form prefills Serial #
You have the registry edits from an old SOLIDWORKS version on your computer. To fix this:
1) Go to Control Panel > Program and Features > SolidWorks and click ‘Change’ to modify the installation.
2) Select ‘Modify the individual installation (on this computer)’ > click ‘Next’.
3) Under ‘serial number’ change the serial for CAD and Electrical/PCB to the ones included with your installation instructions email. Also, delete the CAM serial, it is not required to install CAM for Education Premium.
4) Click ‘Next’ on the Product Selection page to make sure all products will be installed and follow the instruction to complete the modification. After successful installation you will be prompted to activate your serial numbers when you first open SOLIDWORKS.

Need to transfer license to another computer
You can install SOLIDWORKS on another computer you own by simply using the same instructions and serial number you obtained from our website. Our license permits installing on as many computers as you own. If you need those instructions again, email Cory Puuri (cpuuri@eaa.org).

Serial numbers don't work with all modules
You only need to enter the CAD serial in the "3D DesignSOLIDWORKS" field (click to [+] to display the fields) and the PCB serial number in the "ElectricalDesign / PCB". All of the other modules you are entitled to will install with those serial numbers. One note, PCB is for circuit board design. If you don't plan on doing that design, you can leave it blank. You should still get what you need for Electrical Design to do wiring. Please make sure that you overwrite the CAD serial number and remove the CAM serial number if you did not do a clean uninstall of 2018-19.

Error files are corrupted or missing
Uninstall SOLIDWORKS. To do this, go to your computer’s Start menu and search for Add or Remove Programs. An alphabetical list of programs should appear. Find SOLIDWORKS and select Remove to uninstall SOLIDWORKS. Make sure you also select Advanced uninstall and check the box next to registry edits. If you don't, it prefills the old serial on the new installation and says you are about to expire. Try reinstalling after that and be sure your Firewall and Anti-virus software are disabled and all Windows updates are completed.

Error 1722
Check out/complete this fix suggested by GSC (https://www.eaa.org/~/media/f8cf0e8bd9f0492aa416d3e922abda2a.ashx).

PCB Requires a login but I don't have one
PCB is a separate program that you are entitled to. Before you open it, you need to install PCB Services (a collaboration server) even though you are the only client that will be using it. To do that, re-open the Installation Manager and Select the Server Products option and check the box next tot PCB Services. Follow this video from the 3:16 mark to complete installation: https://youtu.be/X0m_8SFz2UQ?t=196

I am missing a module
You do not need to uninstall SOLIDWORKS to add modules in. Here are instructions:
1) Go to Add or Remove in the Windows Control Panel
2) Search for SOLIDWORKS, click on it, and click the Modify button (ignore the "Windows... reboot" message and click OK).
3) Select "Modify Your Installation" and click Next
4) Make sure "3D DesignSOLIDWORKS" and "PCB" fields (assuming you want PCB - Printed Circuit Boards) are the only checked items and serial numbers are properly placed in those fields and click Next
5) On the Summary (https://eaa.org/~/media/571B28BEEF4C4954A7DE5195E924CB4D.ashx) page, review all modules that will be installed and if anything is missing, check the module you need.

Installer says "already have a Toolbox/Data folder"
When you do not do an Advanced uninstall of a prior version of SOLIDWORKS, it leaves a SOLIDWORKS Data folder in place and SOLIDWORKS will fail to create another SOLIDWORKS Data folder within the Lang sub-folder in that older folder. The workaround is to:
1) Click Change next to Toolbox/Hole Wizard Options.
2) Click the Browse button.
3) Browsing will begin in a sub-folder of the old SOLIDWORKS Data folder called Lang. If that happens click the ↑ until the Windows Explorer address displays > Windows (C: ).
4) Delete the SOLIDWORKS Data folder that appears in the list of files and folders.
5) Click New folder option and name the folder whatever you’d like (e.g., SOLIDWORKS Data).
6) Click the folder once to select that new folder and click the the Select folder button.

Installer says "...The source folder is not versioned properly. If you copied the folder manually you may have forgotten to copy the swdata99.id..."
Uninstalling and re-installing should fix the issue, if you go this route you should also clear out the folder:
'C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp'
and
'C:\Users\User.Name\Documents\SOLIDWORKS Downloads\SOLIDWORKS 2020 SP0'
The User.Name is your login name.
This will make sure that your not using possible files from the past install that might have issues.

Other FAQs from the SOLIDWORKS Forum (https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/90105)
Activation FAQs from DS SOLIDWORKS (http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/1090_ENU_HTML.htm)

Jeffrey Meyer
08-04-2016, 02:38 AM
I have a fully paid up commercial licence, so this explains why I can't get the educational key.
Thanks.

Mike_G
08-04-2016, 10:02 AM
How do I specify a different installation directory, and different data directories for / during installation?
I am using a SSD for my C: drive and do not want to use it for this application?

AnnaWood
08-04-2016, 05:14 PM
How do I specify a different installation directory, and different data directories for / during installation?
I am using a SSD for my C: drive and do not want to use it for this application?

You can change it in the Installation Manager. See attached image.

John Cox
08-09-2016, 04:54 PM
I am grappling with an upgrade to an nVidia Quadro M4000 video card. Seems the GTX 1070 software is not up to Solidworks support standards even with 8 gb. Is that correct. Secondly should a dedicated SSD be attached to install and utilize fasts thru-put with a SATA6 bus?

AnnaWood
08-09-2016, 04:57 PM
I am grappling with an upgrade to an nVidia Quadro M4000 video card. Seems the GTX 1070 software is not up to Solidworks support standards even with 8 gb. Is that correct. Secondly should a dedicated SSD be attached to install and utilize fasts thru-put with a SATA6 bus?

Try out SolidWorks with what you have before making changes to your system. SolidWorks will likely work just fine with your current setup. Unless you are doing huge models you will likely be fine.

Mike_G
09-07-2016, 09:55 PM
John,
After you do the install, run the tool SolidWorks Rx. That will give you an approximate size of the model your system should support without any problems. Be aware, though, that it is just an estimate.
Peace,
Mike G.

DPhillips
11-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Can't seem to install. First it said to download files manually so I did. Now during installation I get the message "
Some manual downloads could not be verified or extracted. They may need to be downloaded again. Use the built-in Downloader or download the remaining files manually: "

But it doesn't list any files to download. After several tries I deleted the downloaded files and downloaded them all again. Same result. Ideas????

Cory Puuri
11-03-2016, 12:49 PM
What kind of internet connection do you have? The download installer is the way to go, but it will have issues with an unreliable connection. If you are trying to use WIFI but have a decent internet connection, consider connecting your computer to the router with an ethernet cable.

Can't seem to install. First it said to download files manually so I did. Now during installation I get the message "
Some manual downloads could not be verified or extracted. They may need to be downloaded again. Use the built-in Downloader or download the remaining files manually: "

But it doesn't list any files to download. After several tries I deleted the downloaded files and downloaded them all again. Same result. Ideas????

68Statesman
11-05-2016, 05:57 AM
I installed Solidworks following the instructions, however the applications I received on m desktop was "Solidworks Composer" and "eDrawings". As far as I can tell, Solidworks Composer doesn't permit creating any drawings, only viewing drawings that have been previously created. Was "Composer" that application I was supposed to have received?
Thanks for any help here..

Cory Puuri
11-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Reinstall and enter the Activation Key in the form when it displays on your screen. That method worked for another member, yesterday.

John Cox
12-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Jeffrey, with your willingness to help and the inherent Time Zone differences, What hours GMT do you work at your job? Versus - What is the best time you might be online? I am operating in the US on the West Coast PST. I have loaded in to my World Clock - Israel Time to keep me honest. At the moment it says 8:30 at night your time.

John Cox at the beginning of a great journey

jliltd
01-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Can we install our EAA Solidworks license in a desktop and a laptop for the same user? Many high-end software packages allow this. It keeps the user from having to deactivate/reactivate the program between the two computers when traveling or going back and forth to the hangar.

Jim

cwilliamrose
01-02-2017, 05:22 PM
I don't know about the EAA version but the normal product can be installed exactly as you describe.

kazzy1253
02-07-2017, 02:26 PM
What happens if you dont receive the 24 digit activation code?
Using Gmail on Chrome.

Scaro
04-27-2017, 09:50 AM
I have installed the EAA Solid Works student version, but the program locks up when I try to open it. Same thing with eDrawings viewer. My computer uses Win7, Sp1, and seems to meet the other system requirements. Has anyone have an idea how to get it to work?
The attached picture shows the error message when I cancel the program.

Cory Puuri
05-15-2017, 11:20 AM
What happens if you dont receive the 24 digit activation code?
Using Gmail on Chrome.

Send me an email (cpuuri@eaa.org) and I will help you out.

Cory Puuri
05-15-2017, 11:24 AM
I have installed the EAA Solid Works student version, but the program locks up when I try to open it. Same thing with eDrawings viewer. My computer uses Win7, Sp1, and seems to meet the other system requirements. Has anyone have an idea how to get it to work?
The attached picture shows the error message when I cancel the program.

I haven't heard of this issue before. What do you mean by "seems to meet other system requirements". With other software programs, I've encountered similar errors when I have too many programs opened. It could also happen if you're at or below system requirements.

Cory Puuri
05-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Can we install our EAA Solidworks license in a desktop and a laptop for the same user? Many high-end software packages allow this. It keeps the user from having to deactivate/reactivate the program between the two computers when traveling or going back and forth to the hangar.

Jim

You can install on another device that you own.

CharlieN
09-02-2017, 04:31 AM
I recently installed this EAA Solidworks in my Dell laptop, Win 7-64 bit. I had no issues installing the program. Also no issue with opening Solidworks. But when I went to open a new drawing the program just crashed, repeatedly. I found a diagnostic stating the NVIDIA Gforce 9800M GTX display card is not on some list. This display card works fine for every other program but apparently not with Solidworks.

Cory Puuri
09-08-2017, 09:30 AM
I recently installed this EAA Solidworks in my Dell laptop, Win 7-64 bit. I had no issues installing the program. Also no issue with opening Solidworks. But when I went to open a new drawing the program just crashed, repeatedly. I found a diagnostic stating the NVIDIA Gforce 9800M GTX display card is not on some list. This display card works fine for every other program but apparently not with Solidworks.

NVIDIA Gforce GTX video cards have not been tested with SOLIDWORKS. It is hit or miss as to when they will work or not. We had those running on our computers in the museum lab last year and they worked fine for doing the tutorials in SOLIDWORKS, so long as they had enough video RAM. Yours only has 2GB, whereas ours were the 1070s with 8GB. SOLIDWORKS has tested AMD FirePro and NVIDIA Quadros and recommends 8GB+. I love NVIDIA and they were nice enough to donate Quadro cards to EAA since we are a non-profit and these are our Air Academy computers, but AMD FirePros can give you better performance at lower price points. I do trust NVIDIA reliability a bit more, though.

CharlieN
09-09-2017, 04:14 AM
Thank you Cory, This did surprise me when the install went very clean and it was not until I went to open a new drawing, as in no content and the software just went bank.
I am close to buying a new laptop, probably a Dell M3510, this is on the accepted list for SW. I have a little time this morning and will research a few more upscale computers as well. This old Dell I am on is a solid workhorse and with some reading I have done it seems the issue I am up against is the dual graphics card which uses SLI is just a gamers card and the CAD systems do not use that style.
So if I want to run this system I need new hardware.

bhcishere
10-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Didn't see a solution for this. I installed using the serial number i received via email but during startup it keeps asking me to activate. I tried uninstalling and starting over. When installing it already has the same serial number input.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cory Puuri
10-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Didn't see a solution for this. I installed using the serial number i received via email but during startup it keeps asking me to activate. I tried uninstalling and starting over. When installing it already has the same serial number input.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have had SOLIDWORKS installed on this computer before, chances are, you have the old activation key appearing. Key in the new one from the email from DS SolidWorks and you should be good to go.

bhcishere
10-03-2017, 01:17 PM
If you have had SOLIDWORKS installed on this computer before, chances are, you have the old activation key appearing. Key in the new one from the email from DS SolidWorks and you should be good to go.

Never installed prior to this. On program startup it keeps asking to activate. I have verified the key several times. Don't know what else to try.
Did I somehow end up installing the wrong version?

Cory Puuri
10-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Never installed prior to this. On program startup it keeps asking to activate. I have verified the key several times. Don't know what else to try.
Did I somehow end up installing the wrong version?

I think you may have. Uninstall Standard and follow the link in the email we sent you to download and install SOLIDWORKS Student Design Kit.

bhcishere
10-06-2017, 10:28 AM
I think you may have. Uninstall Standard and follow the link in the email we sent you to download and install SOLIDWORKS Student Design Kit.

Tried again using only the link in the email with a clean uninstall. Same results. Looks like I'm stuck with just a 30 day trial.

Cory Puuri
10-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Tried again using only the link in the email with a clean uninstall. Same results. Looks like I'm stuck with just a 30 day trial.

Could you please email (cpuuri@eaa.org) me your activation key so I can check it?

rv7charlie
02-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Just started the download/install process. Got the 1st ~20meg batch of install files. When I clicked on 'sldIM.exe', I was given 4 choices: individual, Administrative image, server products, and 'download and share all files'.

I'd like to install on both my home desktop and my shop desktop (both on the same LAN). Anyone know which type of install to pick?

Thanks,

Charlie

ktejet
03-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Tried several times to install but a third of the way it stops and shows "internal error....Windows installer.... did not run as expected...contact technical support.... need to provide installation log files (which I have saved)..
Thanks for your help,
Karen

Cory Puuri
03-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding. Please confirm via email if any of the solutions I recommended via phone work. In the meantime, I will check the log file you send for a probable cause.

Cory Puuri
03-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Just started the download/install process. Got the 1st ~20meg batch of install files. When I clicked on 'sldIM.exe', I was given 4 choices: individual, Administrative image, server products, and 'download and share all files'.

I'd like to install on both my home desktop and my shop desktop (both on the same LAN). Anyone know which type of install to pick?

Morrie Caudill
08-12-2019, 09:20 PM
I registered with my new number. Did the lengthy download. When I try to run the software I get a message concerning the SQL Server. I don't understand what that means.

Cory Puuri
08-13-2019, 07:50 AM
I registered with my new number. Did the lengthy download. When I try to run the software I get a message concerning the SQL Server. I don't understand what that means.

Do you have an error code? Can you email (cpuuri@eaa.org) the install log so I can check errors? Installation logs are typically here: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\SOLIDWORKS\Ins tallation Logs

baldcaldwell
10-01-2019, 06:45 AM
I installed Solidworks following the instructions, however the applications I received on m desktop was "Solidworks Composer" and "eDrawings". As far as I can tell, Solidworks Composer doesn't permit creating any drawings, only viewing drawings that have been previously created. Was "Composer" that application I was supposed to have received?
Thanks for any help here..

I am having the same issue. I have installed SW. I see nothing that allows me to create any drawings. Please advise.

R_B
12-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Hi,
I'm new here, not entirely new to solidworks or to computers<grin>
Long story short, I have a Toshiba P775 laptop that slid off the hood of the car.
I have replaced it with a used P875 that I am now trying to install solidworks on.
I'll emphasize that, it is USED via e-bay so I don't know its history.

A couple of symptoms;

a) I had the pre filled license numbers issue, which seemed strange given that there were no solidworks programs in the menu, no solidworks folders in program files, etc.
Not sure which of the tips got me through that, but it seems to be fixed now.
b) The suggested port isn't recognized, a requester pops up asking if I want to continue anyway - I do, so I try to.
c) It then says that a lot of required files are missing - I assume these are pre-reqs, but haven't seen anything detailing what they are or how to install whatever pre-req they are part of.
The first of these is the apisdk, I think on one occasion I got to a point where the installer program suggested that I could browse for a folder containing those files, on a different attempt it said that I needed a DVD of the whole solidworks distribution - which I assume is more than one DVD, but it didn't indicate which one (of n).

In view of a) above I suspect that solidworks may have been installed on this disk previously and that there is some "residue" lingering.
QUESTION:
Is there a "purge all trace of solidworks" program that will fix up registry entries and whatever else may be lurking ?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

R_B
01-01-2020, 09:24 AM

I am on a USED computer, is there a way to delete all solidworks serial numbers and/or activation keys, registry entries, etc. to ensure a CLEAN START ?

I don't know the history of this machine, but there were no solidworks programs on the start menu and no solidworks folders in Program Files.
I did not check the registry before attempting this EAA installation of solidworks.

In an attempt to remove any traces of previous installations I brought up the installer and unchecked every product, it still wanted to install 35 Meg of files, but couldn't get them because it couldn't use the suggested port.

I really want to NOT wipe the hard drive and re-install windoze10, but if I have to then I will.

Jeffrey Meyer
01-02-2020, 05:54 AM
I'm no expert on Windows 10 but maybe this will help:

Before you do something drastic (like re-installing W10), try going into the registry editor (regedit) and choose Edit>Find>solidworks​.
Delete the first entry regedit finds and then press Fn/F3 to find the next instance and repeat. There are quite a lot!! (I found about 50 before I stopped looking) But sometimes they appear under folders that you can delete all-at-once.

Having said that I've never been in your situation before, I've never done the above suggestion before, and I'm not even sure it will work. So let me know the result before you call your solicitor;)

Regards, Jeffrey

R_B
01-03-2020, 06:21 AM
I'm no expert on Windows 10 but maybe this will help:

Before you do something drastic (like re-installing W10), try going into the registry editor (regedit) and choose Edit>Find>solidworks​.
Delete the first entry regedit finds and then press Fn/F3 to find the next instance and repeat. There are quite a lot!! (I found about 50 before I stopped looking) But sometimes they appear under folders that you can delete all-at-once.

Having said that I've never been in your situation before, I've never done the above suggestion before, and I'm not even sure it will work. So let me know the result before you call your solicitor;)

Regards, Jeffrey

Thanks,
I have done similar things with regedit in the past.
BTW since my last post I got a copy of a hacked/pirated version of solidworks to see what registry additions/deletes/changes their hack made.
There were a couple that didn't seem DIRECTLY solidworks relevant, so for the time being I have left them. These might be their clever way of hiding their hack, but I want to understand them better before deleting them.
Of course SOME of the SW registry entries may be from my failed attempts to install the eaa version, so not only do I have a slate that isn't clean, I don't know how much of it is mine.
I do know that registry corruption can be a very bad thing, so stepping lightly is wise.

I might just buy another hard drive, install W10 (or 7) on it and KNOW that I have a clean system. 1TB SSD laptop drives are around $100 now (in the USA) and the performance improvement alone could be worth that.
Solving this still holds a little academic interest, but there will come a point where I run out of patience and decide to make it work <grin>
Besides, hacking on hacks, however good the intention, could draw the wrong kind of attention.

Cory Puuri
01-03-2020, 08:55 AM
SOLIDWORKS has an advanced removal option that cleans up any SOLIDWORKS registry edits. Try this:

Uninstall the current version of SOLIDWORKS running on your computer by opening Add or Remove Programs, and on the Summary Change the Advanced Options and check all boxes (i.e., Registry Edits, Data Files and Folders, and Download Files and Folders).

streff
01-08-2020, 05:47 AM
Hi
Just came to used my SOLIDWORKS and got message trial expired, I followed instructions to uninstall and reload but on entering school license ID it says invalid code.
If I leave in XSEK12 I get a download link. What is best way to proceed?

Cory Puuri
01-09-2020, 03:42 PM
First, please don't post keys on the web. Those are unique to our program. Second, we are on 2019-20, so you will need to renew your license and download the new software. Here is the page from which you can access the form:
https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/builder-resources/solidworks-resource-center/download-solidworks-software-form

streff
01-13-2020, 08:06 AM
Hi Cory
I have filled in the form but not received a reply any idea how long it takes? I have also checked my spam folder just in case.

mvanbergen
01-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Hi Cory
I have filled in the form but not received a reply any idea how long it takes? I have also checked my spam folder just in case.

I have also filled out the form yesterday and again today and have not received the email.

thanks,
matt

streff
01-14-2020, 04:51 PM
Hi Cory

Still having problems, I managed to get a download link after using details in an email which worked however when I tried to open up Solidworks I had two messages as follows.8270 Any ideas?
I notice another member also having problems trying to get a download link.

Eric

Cory Puuri
01-14-2020, 05:05 PM
I have also filled out the form yesterday and again today and have not received the email.

thanks,
matt

Please email me (cpuuri@eaa.org) and include your member #

Cory Puuri
01-14-2020, 05:11 PM
The first error can be caused by not replacing the old serial number that populates with the new one we emailed you. Sometimes people also neglect to delete the CAM serial. The fix is:
1) Add Remove
2) Select Modify Installation
3) Change the serial to the one we emailed you.

For the Activation Wizard...72 errorL
1) Get the "run" menu (Win+R) and run "services.msc"
2) Scroll down until you find "FlexNet...." (There should be two, depending on if your system is x64 or not),
3) Double click both of them and change the dropdown to "Automatic"
4) Scroll down until you find "Solidworks Licensing...."
5) Same as Step 3, change the drop down to "Automatic"

Call if you have issues 920-426-6875

streff
01-16-2020, 06:36 AM
Thanks for your help Cory all working fine now

J3cubcapt
07-30-2020, 08:59 PM
OK, I followed the instructions, viewed the requirements and was happy to see that there was an option for MAC (eDrawings). When following all the download instructions, that only gets your the Windows EXE.

May I get some guidance about how to download the MAC version?

Thank you

flyboy2160
10-07-2020, 11:53 AM
If I have an older paid seat of SW for W7, can I also get the Student W10 version if I don't load the older W7 seat?

I recall seeing a post from a paid seat user who couldn't get the Student version, but I thought this deserves its own answered question.

Thanks.

jonathan.cheung
10-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Hi,

I just became a member of EAA but I am unable to access the form to request SolidWorks. I believe it may have something to do with the site maintenance.

Is there another way I can request a download of SolidWorks?

Thank you

erdero
10-21-2020, 05:53 PM
I'm having the same issue, and would love some help as well.

actruck
10-25-2020, 11:24 AM
If anyone is still having issues with accessing the correct page, try a different browser. I tried Google Chrome and couldn't reach the page. I then tried Microsoft Edge and was able to access the correct page and do the download. I recall us having the same issue at the office so I thought I'd give it a try here. This is a known issue with some webpages.

erdero
10-26-2020, 07:41 AM
If anyone is still having issues with accessing the correct page, try a different browser. I tried Google Chrome and couldn't reach the page. I then tried Microsoft Edge and was able to access the correct page and do the download. I recall us having the same issue at the office so I thought I'd give it a try here. This is a known issue with some webpages.

Yeah, I've tried four browsers (Chrome, FF, Edge, Safari) on three computers and a phone, on ethernet, wifi, and mobile, with and without a VPN. Nothing's worked.

jonathan.cheung
10-26-2020, 10:33 AM
I've also tried multiple browsers with no luck

erdero
10-26-2020, 02:13 PM
I clicked the "Chat Now" button in the bottom right, and the person I talked to said there's an error with the website they're aware of, and was able to email me the instructions. Installing now!

ChadR
04-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Has anyone had issues activating the license? I get the error that the activation count has been exceeded.

applecakes
04-12-2021, 02:08 PM
Has anyone had issues activating the license? I get the error that the activation count has been exceeded.

I'm getting the same error.

I heard back from SolidWorks' student edition support. They said that the maximum number of activations for the serial number in question have been used.

Is there another serial number we can use? Solidworks support suggested I ask EAA for another license, so here I am!

Thanks for any responses!

gasturbinedude
04-12-2021, 09:21 PM
yup I am getting the same error

DavidD
04-12-2021, 10:08 PM
I'm also getting the same error.

Does an admin at EAA monitor this thread?

lukej
04-13-2021, 10:53 AM
I'm in the same boat... I filled out a contact form with EAA, hopefully they get eyes on this issue shortly.

Jeffrey Meyer
04-14-2021, 02:12 AM
I would answer if I could, but I have very little knowledge of installation issues and zero authority to contact DS SolidWorks support.

loyrun
04-14-2021, 07:48 AM
I also am having same issue. I emailed EAA, have not heard back yet. seems like the allotted licenses from DSS are all in use.

lukej
04-14-2021, 01:05 PM
I also am having same issue. I emailed EAA, have not heard back yet. seems like the allotted licenses from DSS are all in use.

I also haven't gotten any acknowledgement. Filled out an EAA contact form on Monday. Yesterday I PM'd Cory Puuri on this forum. It looks like he's a mod/admin that has been active in this thread in the past. I'll give an update if I hear back from him or EAA. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

loyrun
04-14-2021, 03:28 PM
I received a response back from EAA, the issue has been resolve on their end. I just validated license per the normal process (it will ask to validate when you reopen solidworks)

ChadR
04-14-2021, 04:30 PM
I received a response back from EAA, the issue has been resolve on their end. I just validated license per the normal process (it will ask to validate when you reopen solidworks)

Awesome! Thanks for the help working it out with EAA!

applecakes
04-14-2021, 04:43 PM
Registration works, Thanks EAA!

Now I can fumble around with propeller designs...

gasturbinedude
04-14-2021, 07:56 PM
great just opened solidworks activated and its working fine, thank you to whoever fixed it now to get on learning it (cant be harder than pro engineer!?)

DavidD
04-14-2021, 08:57 PM
great just opened solidworks activated and its working fine, thank you to whoever fixed it now to get on learning it (cant be harder than pro engineer!?)

Thanks as well!

Solidworks' interface is generally cleaner than Pro so if you ran that gauntlet already you should be fine.

DavidD
04-14-2021, 09:30 PM
Can we only install SW2020 with this license? I have some existing files in SW2021 that I'd like to access.

pogcarr
04-24-2021, 10:46 AM
Can we only install SW2020 with this license? I have some existing files in SW2021 that I'd like to access.

I installed in January of this year and it put in Solidworks 2020 r3. I have run into a bug or two that are fixed in later versions of 2021, but can't seem to find a way to update the software under the license we have. Is there a way to get the latest version?

Jeffrey Meyer
04-25-2021, 03:30 PM
My limited experience with the student edition is that it is published with a kind of "phase lag" of about half a year (or maybe even a full year) relative to the commercial version. So if I were you I would update my expectations rather than the software.

BTW, I would be interested in knowing details of the "bug or two" if you are prepared to share?!

Jeffrey

aacs
05-27-2021, 02:51 PM
Trying to update to 2021, I got this message: "Your Serial# does not entitle you to SOLIDWORKS 2021".

Shouldn't we be able to updade to newer versions as long as we renew our membership with the EAA?
Is this "one time install and get stuck with the version you got" type of deal?

I don't remember seeing a "grace period" for EAA version of the Student Edition. Are students not allowed to update to a never versions as long as they are students? Are they also stuck with the version they first installed?

Please enlighten me. Thank you.
Regards

Jeffrey Meyer
05-27-2021, 03:23 PM
Once again, installation issues are not my forte, but I know that you are not "stuck" with the version you installed. As I said in my last post the Student edition lags behind the commercial edition so if you want the 2021 version, either buy it or or wait until 2022 when, after you upgrade your membership of EAA, you can uninstall your 2020 Student edition and install the 2021 edition.
By the way, I seriously doubt you will notice any significant benefits (for you) from installing the 2021 version vs the 2020 version.

aacs
05-27-2021, 04:40 PM
For me, the only benefit would be the "curved edge flange" feature, that became available in 2021 version.
Thanks for clearer explanations.

Jeffrey Meyer
05-28-2021, 03:50 AM
Can you live without the "curved edge flange" feature for a few months?

In the vast majority of cases ( I would even gamble on saying "always") there's a work-around: In the meantime maybe you can use a "swept boss" feature?

aacs
05-28-2021, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestion (do you mean Swept Flange, or, Swept Surface? Couldn't find "Swept Boss"). I've already tried different features and extended both ends of the curved middle section of the sheet metal (which was converted from an extrusion). However, none of the solutions blend with the curved sheet. As a result, when I "Flatten" it, only the original sheet flattens. The extended ends stay curved. Tried to convert those too to Sheet Metal unsuccessfully. That's why I needed the new "curved edge" feature. With that, I thing the curved additions would be directly recognized as "Sheet Metal" and the whole sheet would "Flatten" as expected.

If you know a walk around for this, please let me know. If this is not your area of expertize, please redirect me. Thank you.

Jeffrey Meyer
05-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Can't say I understand what you're trying to do. Try Insert>Boss/Base>Sweep... or you can find Swept Boss under Help with detailed explanations on how to use it.

Also, could you share some geometry or screen shots to help us/me understand and possibly suggest a solution?

FloydHankers28
05-28-2021, 07:17 PM
Hello Jeffery Meyer!!

Your title says your the volunteer, and I feel bad about adding to your list of woes, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I've had many installation errors, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled to the point of I can't down load the program anymore. (It won't recognize the license as I needed to clean up the registry.)

Would you know whom I could contact next, please?

Thank you!!!

Jeffrey Meyer
05-29-2021, 02:53 AM
Hi Floyd,

(Hope you don't mind my inferring your name from your username;))
The answer "No" is always better than the answer "don't know", so for the moment my answer to your question is "No, I don't know someone to contact".

But...

Following your post I've privately contacted someone who might know someone who might know something about something ...
My contact is out of the office for a few days, so I'll get back to you when I get a mite more knowledgeable.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Meyer
05-29-2021, 06:10 AM
Hi again Floyd.

This might help:
http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?9763-SolidWorks-Install-Fails&referrerid=4242

Jeffrey

FloydHankers28
06-01-2021, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Jeffery for your responses!! I appreciate the help. I'm trying to do the same thing through the SW User Group Network. As soon as I get any helpful responses, I'll post them to add to the knowledge base here.

And you are correct not to believe that there are 28 Floyd Hankers out there in the World. The name sounded pretty "crop dusty" to me, so I used it!! :)

Jeffrey Meyer
06-02-2021, 07:55 AM
Turns out you can get official support from:

https://www.solidworks.com/support/student-form

Can't guarantee that you'll get a quick reply - first-come-first-serve basis, but you'll certainly get a reply, and it will very likely be a good one.

FloydHankers28
06-06-2021, 06:02 PM
Thanks for tracking down that link, Jeff. I've got it bookmarked for the future!!

I decided to wait for about a week figuring that would be the max time for Dassault/SolidWorks' servers to either delete or overwrite their Temp Folders. And Boom! I was In Like Flint!

Here's what I've learned after installing, uninstalling and reinstalling: it's best to install the SolidWorks SEK without the PCB add-in. (It's been better, but not a 100% without problems, adding in the PCB by going through either Control Panel>Programs and Features, or through Apps under Settings.)

For whatever reason, this version of SolidWorks doesn't come with an SQL Server to act as the data base for everything the PCB add-in needs. (Maybe that can be changed next time things are negotiated.) So, one will have to be downloaded. Don't use SQL Server 2019! Way too problematic for a lot of reasons!! The best success was with SQL Server 2014 and make sure you get Service Pack
3 with it as well. But, who knows how much longer this data base will be supported by Microsoft.

In any event, here are two links with some solid info:
This is for installing the Sql Server

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2019/10/installing-microsoft-sql-server-solidworks-pdm-professional/

This is for configuring the Server

https://help.solidworks.com/2020/English/SolidWorks/install_guide/c_configure_ms_sql_server.htm

Again, I had a better outcome getting SolidWorks installed first without the PCB add-in. Also, everyone should make sure that SolidWorks can find its native data tables, like the Hole Wizard table for example, after the the SQL server is installed.

Most importantly for everyone also with an SSD harddrive on their computers, if you're wishing to experiment what the number of installs and uninstalls, you'll be cutting down the normal lifespan of the solid state drive by doing this. I did it on purpose knowing the cost of it, so you should as well if you go down this path.

Thanks again, Jeff. I'll add more if and when I get better answers. Thanks a bunch!!

jllphipps
06-24-2021, 11:38 PM
I joined the EAA this year and have never installed Solidworks before.

I get the following error message when trying to install:

"Your serial number does not entitle you to SOLIDWORKS 2021..."

It sounds as if the provided serials are invalid. What can I do to fix this?

Chartal
06-26-2021, 08:04 PM
I joined the EAA this year and have never installed Solidworks before.

I get the following error message when trying to install:

"Your serial number does not entitle you to SOLIDWORKS 2021..."

It sounds as if the provided serials are invalid. What can I do to fix this?

I have the same problem.
Look like there license server is not up to date.

I did a post of my issue thursday.
http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?9990-Solidworks-Education-2021-2022-Renew-license

Jeffrey Meyer
06-28-2021, 07:53 AM
I think I mentioned this before - perhaps in another topic.
Unless I'm mistaken, the SW Student edition lags behind the commercial edition. A bit like buying bread - If you want today's bread, come tomorrow.
So use your serial number to install SW 2020 (instead of 2021).
Let us know how it goes.

Chartal
06-28-2021, 10:12 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, the SW Student edition lags behind the commercial edition. A bit like buying bread - If you want today's bread, come tomorrow.
Let us know how it goes.

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for your support.

SW Student 2021-2022 is already available.

https://www.cleverbridge.com/1566/purl-StudentEdition
https://www.solidworks.com/support/community-download#no-back

Regards
Alain

Jeffrey Meyer
06-29-2021, 12:06 AM
Thanks Alain,

Useful information:) - especially so since I don't have any experience/tools/knowledge/authority on installation issues.
I guess the question now is what version is supported by the EAA issued serial number?
If it's only 2020, the next question is can you live with 2020?
Personally, I most certainly can;)

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Chartal
06-29-2021, 01:45 AM
Thanks Alain,

Useful information:) - especially so since I don't have any experience/tools/knowledge/authority on installation issues.
I guess the question now is what version is supported by the EAA issued serial number?
If it's only 2020, the next question is can you live with 2020?
Personally, I most certainly can;)

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey.

I started my membership last year May 31 2020.
I requested a SW license June 2 2020.
I received a serial for SW2020 (edu 2020-2021), I installed it and everything was great.

When I saw that SW2021 (edu 2021-2022) was available, I requested another license (Sunday June 20 2021)
The serial I received is the same as last year, and doesn't work with SW2021 (edu 2021-2022)

Sure I can re-installed SW2020, but I like to be up to date. :cool:

Maybe Cory can look at this.

Regards
Alain.

jllphipps
06-29-2021, 09:08 AM
Let us know how it goes.

Hello and thanks for the info. I am fine with SW 2020. It took a second to realize I needed to go back to https://www.solidworks.com/sw/education/SDL_form.html to be able to select the 2020 option. Thanks for your help!

JohnMyers
08-12-2021, 05:02 PM
How long does it typically take for the EAA serial number? I submitted my request via the EAA website a couple of days ago and have not gotten anything. I checked my spam folder.

Oddly, the page says "Please fill out the form to access 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers at a 50% discount".

Jeffrey Meyer
08-13-2021, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately I'm not the guy to speak to about this and I don't know who is:confused:

Drake Firebreed
08-16-2021, 10:00 PM
So I have had it installed for a year and a half now but for some reason when I try I get a System Error "The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found. I've attempted to modify and install the files I was missing but I keep getting that error. I then tried repair and I get "Internal Error: The Windows Installer for this product component did not run as exprected: INSTALL." It then tells me to contact technical support but I don't think we get tech support on the edu sooooo I'm kinda stuck here hoping someone has a clue. My version is good until Dec of this year.

Figured it out. Was a driver error. Updated latest windows and Nividia Driver. Dang Quadros are finicky.

Pattern64
09-21-2021, 11:10 AM
I have not been able to find a link and instructions to download Solidworks. I sent an email to contact EAA and received this information: CSE: 4SX3J2, TKT: ocfRa0 and this link: http://www.eaa.org/solidworks which does not have links or instructions. 9029 I'm not sure how to proceed.

John

David Leiting
09-23-2021, 08:57 AM
I have not been able to find a link and instructions to download Solidworks. I sent an email to contact EAA and received this information: CSE: 4SX3J2, TKT: ocfRa0 and this link: http://www.eaa.org/solidworks which does not have links or instructions. 9029 I'm not sure how to proceed.

John

Hi John,

The new access instructions for SOLIDWORKS can be found here - https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center/download-solidworks-software-form

Once you fill out the form, you will be able to download a PDF with the instructions.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!
David

visions-online
03-08-2022, 03:53 PM
The hyperlinks in the pdf did not work for me. (There were no links)

Arigden
02-27-2024, 04:30 PM
does anyone have the download instructions for SW.
I purchased the license a month or so ago and deleted the email.
I want to load it on a laptop I just purchased.
Emails I have sent to Cory seem to to keep getting kicked back
Adam Rigden
EAA 1051976

Eric Page
02-28-2024, 06:45 PM
You might have better luck sending a Private Message to David Leiting (see post #96 (https://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?6898-Installation-FAQs&p=85819&viewfull=1#post85819), above, and click on his name). If that doesn't work, you might try calling the phone number that Cory listed in post #47 (https://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?6898-Installation-FAQs&p=79546&viewfull=1#post79546), on page 2 of this thread; perhaps it will still ring in the correct EAA office.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Cory is with EAA any longer. I have a vague memory of receiving an email or PM from him more than a year ago in which he told me that he was no longer an employee.